Author Topic: Snes Games Talk !  (Read 21810 times)

Lysander

Re: Snes Games Talk !
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 11:30:30 pm »
I'm gonna be a fanboy here and say Super Mario World. I mean, come on, how can you have a SNES and not Super Mario World?

No...

You missed it, the discussion ended up a few posts.

Can't blame me for trying to steer the topic back round (:

Offline Elrond

• sw33t!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 11:33:06 pm »
Then tell us what it is.
Tales of Phantasia is a very mediocre game with a pretty boring battle system and hideous plot, Star Ocean sucks, Chrono Trigger sucks, SoulBlazer is better than Terranigma (but Terranigma is still pretty ok), Bahamut Lagoon is fun for a little bit, Legend of Gaia sucks a whole lot, I don't care for Zelda...
Ouch! You disliked most of the best Super NES RPGs. Shame shame! Anywho, Illusion of Gaia is my favorite out of the Soul Blazer trilogy. I just sold my Super NES copy of Chrono Trigger on Ebay for $100. I figured I still got the Playstation version and I needed the money.
Signature has been removed due to violation of size-constraints.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 11:58:07 pm »
Yeah, Illusion of Gaia. Whatever. Also I hate FF6, but find 5 rather fun.

I'd like to know what else you think are "the best Super NES RPGs," so I can see if I liked them or not (probably not).
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 11:58:28 pm »
Then tell us what it is.
Tales of Phantasia is a very mediocre game with a pretty boring battle system and hideous plot, Star Ocean sucks, Chrono Trigger sucks, SoulBlazer is better than Terranigma (but Terranigma is still pretty ok), Bahamut Lagoon is fun for a little bit, Legend of Gaia sucks a whole lot, I don't care for Zelda...
Ouch! You disliked most of the best Super NES RPGs. Shame shame! Anywho, Illusion of Gaia is my favorite out of the Soul Blazer trilogy. I just sold my Super NES copy of Chrono Trigger on Ebay for $100. I figured I still got the Playstation version and I needed the money.

You're talking to Magicman there. He also dislikes Bioware, the Elder Scrolls series and chocolate.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 02:24:19 am »
Terringma is also much awesome but I'm stuck
Where are you stuck at ?

I was stuck too, thats why i played it for 2 years.

Well, actually, i played it for like 2 months, and after a LONG while i continued and then i found out how to move on :)

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 10:35:49 am »
I'm about two hours into Tales of Phantasia, I'm liking the battle system a lot. Terringma is also much awesome but I'm stuck :( Might start it again someday. Bahamut Lagoon is excellent, one of Square's best RPGs. Its strategy-based, you can download it from The Underdogs. I've neer played any other of Square's SRPGs so I couldn't say if its worse/better than FF Tactics, but its so worth a go.

Although not many people bother to differentiate the two...
Bahamut Lagoon is what is known as an SRPG or a Strategy RPG.
Final Fantasy Tactics is a TRPG or Tactics RPG.

I wont bother outlining any exact definitions but the quick way of saying it is that the difference between the two (the line blurs more with every new hybrid) is that TRPGs have less environmental interraction (things like freezing water and cutting things down to get past) and are shown in an isometric view with height playing a major role in unit placement. SRPGs tend to have a fair bit of enviromental interraction and are shown mostly in a plain old top down view, they are the ones where you are taken away to another screen or shown a zoomed in view when close up attacks are executed.
I'm sure that was badly written and all, but that's pretty much it.

There goes all the classic lines when they're on the boat.

I wouldn't say DeJap's "translation" of the boat scene are anywhere near faithful to the original text. :p As far as I know, the game is child-friendly, he just spontaneously goes overboard in some parts.

Equinox! There's a good game. My brother bought it on a whim for 50 kronor years ago, and we don't regret it. Some puzzle rooms are pure evil, though. When the level designers noticed that they had invisible, exploding and conveyor-belt blocks at their disposal, they made sure to make the most out of them. Sonia is a sissy, too, and there's an evil bug where you teleport yourself into the middle of the ocean if you try going to the near-final island without restarting the save file first. That aside, it's really cool, but requires alot of patience.

Stunt Race FX rules too. The look and feel they've pulled off in some areas of the game are better than the stuff you see in F-Zero GX, like the underwater tunnel with higher contrast and more colors.

I'll have to get ahold of this Terranigma sometime.

Nah, I had a friend who is fairly fluent in Japanese compare the translation with the original. His conclusion was that the difference was the "strength" of our words VS the original Japanese wording, pretty much our words are seen as being more offensive even when used playfully and that if other words were used in their place the feeling behind the speach wouldn't have come across the same.
Again I'm sure that I wrote that poorly... I just hope that I got the right idea across.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:45:31 am by A.C. Helm »
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.
I'll sacrifice what I believe.
My little girlscout, your mouth is getting sore.
Will you love me any less, if I hurt you any more?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 06:28:44 pm »
Although not many people bother to differentiate the two...
Because it's a load of bullshit.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 06:36:12 pm »
Final Fantasy Tactics is a TRPG or Tactics RPG.

It's also the worst game I have ever had the misfortune of playing.

'OH NOES, A RANDOM ENCOUNTER WITH THE SAME GUYS I JUST KILLED WITHOUT TAKING ANY DAMAGE'

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 12:43:29 am »
Mega Man X 1-3...playstation ruined the franchise

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 05:06:19 am »
So much random hate and ignorance in here.

SNES games other than RPGs that I like:
I know there are some others I just can't think of any right now.

EDIT: I remembered one; Gundam Wing: Endless Dual.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 05:09:01 am by A.C. Helm »
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.
I'll sacrifice what I believe.
My little girlscout, your mouth is getting sore.
Will you love me any less, if I hurt you any more?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 05:40:01 am »
I liked megaman X

And zelda :)

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 10:56:50 am »
Tekken and mortal kombat = worst fighting games ever

Offline Spiff

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 01:30:22 pm »
Nah, I had a friend who is fairly fluent in Japanese compare the translation with the original. His conclusion was that the difference was the "strength" of our words VS the original Japanese wording, pretty much our words are seen as being more offensive even when used playfully and that if other words were used in their place the feeling behind the speach wouldn't have come across the same.
Again I'm sure that I wrote that poorly... I just hope that I got the right idea across.

I sit corrected, then. :) When I think about it, Tales of Symphonia isn't innocent in this field either, but I imagine some of the things Zelos says were "dumbed down" over here when it comes to what words he use; the meaning is probably the same.

Smeagol

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 06:55:45 pm »
Tekken and mortal kombat = worst fighting games ever

Full agreement.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 08:06:33 pm »
Mortal Kombat was about violence, not fighting. Oh the mirth to memorise fatalities to pwn your friends.