Author Topic: War Angels  (Read 20777 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: War Angels
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2006, 04:14:17 am »
^Very true, but I simply don't have the HD space to store everything in FLAC. If I had the money, I'd buy a huge HDD just for music, but I don't so it has to share.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2006, 04:18:45 am »
^Very true, but I simply don't have the HD space to store everything in FLAC. If I had the money, I'd buy a huge HDD just for music, but I don't so it has to share.

RAID together cheaper small drives. 320-360gb drives are cheap these days now that the 500Gb models are out.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2006, 04:24:13 am »
I was thinking about that, but when I say I have no money I mean no money =/

I'm barely scraping together the money for Redeemer, and that of course takes precedence.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2006, 04:32:34 am »
I was thinking about that, but when I say I have no money I mean no money =/

I'm barely scraping together the money for Redeemer, and that of course takes precedence.

You need to think of some sort of scam^H^H^H^Hbuisness idea and capitalize on it. Or you could always just go into the man whore buisness.  :-*
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline neothe0ne

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2006, 04:47:42 am »
Instead of FLAC, why not choose APE?  ;)  It gives (slightly) smaller file sizes than FLAC...

In an ideal world, everyone would have limitless hard drives and uber internet connections running at 4.7Tbps...

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2006, 07:00:32 am »
I have two spare 250GB HDDs... but I'll be dual booting (one OS per drive) when I get my PSU.

Aye, and MP3/OGG goes way past that..

Either your ears are screwed or your audio setup sucks many thousands of phallic objects. OGG gets very very close to complete transparency, but I've not once heard an MP3 that can match that. OGG is indeed fine, but the reason for wanting FLAC is that it gives you the ability to re-encode into any lossy codec that you want or that a device you own requires, without screwing the quality of the audio.
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.
I'll sacrifice what I believe.
My little girlscout, your mouth is getting sore.
Will you love me any less, if I hurt you any more?

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2006, 10:56:40 am »
Instead of FLAC, why not choose APE?  ;)  It gives (slightly) smaller file sizes than FLAC...

In an ideal world, everyone would have limitless hard drives and uber internet connections running at 4.7Tbps...
FLAC has wider support. I'd prefer wavpack over APE though.

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2006, 11:48:06 am »

FLAC has wider support. I'd prefer wavpack over APE though.

Then FLAC should win because of the support. But I doubt Moonpod will release in such a format, it's much more likely that the OST will be an MP3 release with a slight possibility of OGG if we ask nice and they listen.
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.

Offline eloj

• Five-by-Five
    • eloj
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2006, 12:19:25 pm »
Also things like oggenc2.8 handle FLAC as input and automatically transfers the tags over to the output. Not sure if it'll do that for APE (though of course there are no technical reason that it couldn't).
What do you mean the new album isn't called Brojectiot groader?!

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2006, 10:12:41 pm »
OST CD with the game would be cool like C&C games and even Warcraft have done.  (And we could all rip to whatever we want!) ;)

Offline TnT

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2006, 11:05:10 pm »
I wonder how much the game will cost.  I run Linux and and doubt I'd be able to play it, but hell, I'll buy it just for the songs.  Maybe a deal can be worked out where one can buy just the songs for a lower price and both sides still make money.

APE lost to FLAC because it was proprietary before.  Open source is key for archival purposes, so FLAC picked up pace fast and rolled along.  APE source is now available but behind and has less documentation than FLAC currently.

Geez, didn't realize I've lost more DXM v1 then some of you guys have owned.  Now that I'm employed again I need to get v2 once it's in stock.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2006, 05:37:30 am »
I wonder how much the game will cost.  I run Linux and and doubt I'd be able to play it, but hell, I'll buy it just for the songs.  Maybe a deal can be worked out where one can buy just the songs for a lower price and both sides still make money.

It will probably run in cedega, even Jets 'n' Guns did.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2006, 07:24:03 am »
It will probably be 25 USD for the downloadable version and 35 for boxed.

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2006, 12:13:12 pm »
Wow, that's quite a low price. I think I'll buy it boxed.

Right now a "last gen" (read: console older than X360) game costs a few dollars less than $100(AUD) (or $71.82USD). Foreign prices always look so damn sweet to me.
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.