Author Topic: Real RPG  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Real RPG
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 01:08:47 pm »
Spunky and me are in a D&D group (where I'm DM). With absolutely minimal previous knowledge we spent an entire night until 3am working out how to make characters. Since then we have made characters, played a couple of "silly runs" and rerolled characters. Now we're in a lull as we can't get people together for long enough :(

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 09:23:44 pm »
You would say that... if "alot" were one word. Good thing it's not.
correct my spellings = choke on my balls

edit : You want em shaved or hairy?

Lysander

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 09:30:55 pm »
You want em shaved or hairy?

Ooh, we get a variety!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 09:41:37 pm »
Still pretty crappy choices, though.

Well me neither. And i don't think Morrowind counts. I wasn't role-playing so much as kicking daedric ass. I think i lack the patience to sit around drawing dungeons and rolling dice and making shit up as i go along and painting figurines and spending years on massive campaigns with intricate rules and inflated atmospheres of pretension.

As for D&D, you don't draw the dungeons... the starter kits for D&D come with a big ass map with little cardboard things you put on 'em. Most people don't use figurines, and a single campaign usually takes a night.

As for Warhammer, yeah, most of that is true.  :P
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 10:24:31 pm »
I know its not D&D (at least I don't think it is) but I played a lot of Heroquest when I was a kiddie. Good fucking game ;)

Offline Trias

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 11:30:59 pm »
ha heroquest  :)

hm actually, where is mine... think someone borrowed it some years ago...

but no, that's not really a rpg, I suppose. And I think it is from the makers of Warhammer...

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 09:28:44 am »
Well you can draw your own dungeons cause thats why the game owns, you can create everything you want!

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2006, 07:08:21 pm »
Actually, it's all of the (often very wacky, or interesting, or whatever) character interaction that makes RPGs fun. Killing monsters is just something you do to make the time pass until the next social interaction-thingy.

Then, of course, there are games such as Call of Cthulhu, where killing monsters is something you do only if you're very lucky, and Paranoia, where killing the other players is much more important (and twice the fun as well), and so on.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Lammda

• Let there be more light!
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2006, 09:59:31 pm »
Yeah, character interaction is really funny...

In our group, our characters didn't really like each other... and after each fight killing the monsters, there was a controversy about the fight (mostly about whose fault it was why we nearly got killed, for example "You stupid idiot, you hit me with your fire blast and almost killed me!"), resulting in a fight against each other...
http://www.last.fm/user/Lammda/

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 02:03:14 am »
Spunky and me are in a D&D group (where I'm DM). With absolutely minimal previous knowledge we spent an entire night until 3am working out how to make characters. Since then we have made characters, played a couple of "silly runs" and rerolled characters. Now we're in a lull as we can't get people together for long enough :(

I'm in a similar situation. SpeedD, a friend and I spent like 150 dollars randomly one day on the core manuals and a starter kit thing with a few figurines. We spent a few hours trying to figure it out and trading DM status but didn't accomplish much. It was really fun though and I'd like to get more into it but it never seems to work out....
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 02:45:04 am »

warhammer is for faggots with no imagination or for people with LOADS of money or possibly both.

If you mean Warhammer Fantasy, sure. If you mean 40,000k, go to hell. Imperial Guard Forever!!!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2006, 02:22:46 am »
Space Marines look cool when they are missing some limbs.

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy.

Then i played 40k for a while, dark chaos army or whatever its called.