Author Topic: A question for the people who like the OGG versions of the songs better  (Read 4852 times)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
Re:A question for the people who like the OGG versions of the songs better
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2003, 04:07:24 pm »
Hey, hehe... Sometimes, after we've released songs we've found some little detail we could improve upon later... It's not uncommon, but mostly it's something you wouldn't notice unless you're really hardcore hifi geek or something... But in the case of those lyrics, we just felt that the ending was a bit empty and we added a repeat of some of the lyrics from earlier in the song to that part...

If we change something drastically, we usually stamp it as a new version, like the version2 of Ninne, for instance...

Cool that someone actually has that old version, hehe... We don't.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Daita

• Music is life, don't stop listening.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2003, 07:11:35 pm »
Hifi geek indeed.  I actually stumbled upon this a while ago when i was doing testing on my new pair of sennheiser 590 headphones to see if i could hear anything new in songs and whatnot and especially to try and hear differences in ogg vs mp3 so ya.. hifi geek indeed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 07:12:02 pm by Daita »

Offline eloj

• Five-by-Five
    • eloj
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2003, 11:02:11 pm »
I think you need to researk the MKII chipsets a bit bud.
I need you to researk[sic] somewhere far away from me, I think. I noticed you didn't manage to meet my argument. Happens a lot, huh?
What do you mean the new album isn't called Brojectiot groader?!

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2003, 09:33:37 am »
I think you need to researk the MKII chipsets a bit bud.
I need you to researk[sic] somewhere far away from me, I think. I noticed you didn't manage to meet my argument. Happens a lot, huh?

The testosterone levels are heavy tonight  -sigh-   :-\
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
Yeah... People are just so enthusiastic about this kind of things. And in vain. For me, it's same in what format music is, since it's music in itself that matters. Of course it's fine when voice is really authentic and good but... I just find these kind of things not worth of fighting. It's good that Machinae have released their songs both in mp3- and Vorbis-format, althought I would download them even if they were in either format only. Everyone can read from Vorbis website what are benefits of using Vorbis versus mp3 but then again : does it really matter? It's fine to have alternative methods of packing music and it should be that way, forever. That way there will be competition and methods will evolve and get better. I see both methods as a positive thing.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline vanti

• Im the Protogandist!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2003, 09:03:38 pm »
Personally I like Ogg Vorbis because its totaly free while mp3 is proprietary and owned by the Fraunhofer Institute and they could theoretically start taking out a license fee for all programs that decodes mp3...

The quality of the mp3s are very dependant of the software used... and not at all by what soundcard the machine that encodes it has unless you have some MPEG-encoding chip that IS USED by the encoder.

The software used to decode the music is also pretty important as I have noticed. The Nullsoft mp3-decoder that comes with WinAMP is IMNASFHO pretty crap and does not give at all the same dynamic range as for example the MAD-decoder does... fortunately for me since Im kinda used to WinAMP is that the MAD-decoder is available as a plug-in for WinAMP. Dithering, higher precision decoding and other neat trix really gives better sound to my mp3s...

Of course I could always put the original CDs in my CD-player *cough* *cough*
The next (read: only) CD I will buy is Machinae Supremacys debut album ;)
//Vanti - "Don't quote me on this!"

chompy

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2003, 06:34:49 am »
It really dosen't bother me which one if better and which one is worse, I cannot notice the difference in the songs that MaSu has hosted. If I had a a better set of headphones or speakers, I reckon there will be a difference.

From what I understand about ogg, is that at 128kb/s encoded in ogg, it will sound better than a mp3 encoded at 128kb/s. Although I could be wrong

Offline Deghar

• ^_^
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 10:47:07 am »
Ogg, other than mp3, wipes all the scratching and the buzzing sound which usually comes from studio-playing.

So, Ogg sounds more clear than mp3.
Uuh... pie?