Author Topic: The Matrix Extended  (Read 5101 times)

Offline a sad cow

• this really grows on you
The Matrix Extended
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:26:42 pm »
i always feel smarter after listening to machinae. i came up with this bit specifically after listening to TTLG and Trinity. It's inspired by the first 2 movies in the Matrix trilogy - i do not like or believe in Matrix Revolutions. this will be a long read for those who care but it makes sense to me, although i'm left with more questions than i began with. i would not be surprised if a similar train of thought earned the Wachowski brothers the right to make their movies, although i never would've come this far had it not been for them. so without further ado:

we start with a progression of technology eventually making the working class obsolete. this technology will spread around and unite the globe. Eventually the entire population could live off "welfare". As people lose their jobs, temporary chaos will ensue. If our infrastructure can sustain this extra baggage, a form of communism will ensue where people live simple lives off the abundance of food and shelter produced by an extremely technology heavy robotic work force. if left to do nothing, these people will breed to exceed the limits of our technology. therefore, safe sex alternatives must plateau at 100% efficiency before the common laborer is replaced. euthanising techniques will eventually lead to the sustained orgasm of a dying body. when the ability to continuously orgasm reaches the general public, many people will euthanise themselves before reproducing. this will lead to farms of orgasmic vegetables, possibly even living out fantasy lives in computers instead of solid orgasm. the only people who will live outside of this system will either possess a solid work ethic, an addiction to pain, or both. This will lead to terrorism on the part of "the outsiders" and a movement to "free" those stuck to their own pleasure. the technology created by the people and for the people who have chosen "euthanisation" will eventually take appropriate measures to protect itself. either the technology, or the people at the core of the euthanisation project will elect to have children created in this fantasy world created in real life and permanently plugged into this matrix. eventually, those who choose to live outside the matrix will either be eliminated or forcefully inserted into the matrix in order to safeguard the rest of humanity, and possibly even conserve resources.

since the planet has limited resources, this project may exist for the good of humanity so that the greatest number of people can live full lives before our planet either runs dry of resources or destroys itself in brutal warfare. it is even possible that this matrix is the only surviving system because it is so far under the surface of the earth, and therefore beyond the reach of biological, chemical, and nuclear warfare on the surface. this could further motivate both the leaders of this community and the AI "mother" of the technology itself.

further speculation is that either a human research lab, an AI research lab, or a hybrid is desperately working to increase the productivity of the planet in order to send humanity to other worlds and thus perpetuate itself.

this matrix, as the architect describes it in "the matrix reloaded", would be determined by what world people would accept. the theory that people will ultimately reject perfection is entirely valid. the core of human nature is self-improvement. our reality could easily be late 20th century earth as it is the most philosophically and technically diverse period in history. we also have most of the tools for world war 3 - so this could be the "peak" of human civilization from a futuristic standpoint.

this begs further questions. with increased technology, could people live several lifetimes in this matrix? has the original "earth" already succeeded and our colong exist on a seperate planet? was earth really the first? i think it's entirely possible that aliens exist in the form of other human civilizations. on the original earth (whether we're livng that out currently or not), these "alien" humans could use their advanced knowledge and technology to appear like gods and institute different religions. hell, we could even have been planted here and kept in the dark as part of an "eden" project.

if people do live several lifetimes, do they become aware of this system after their first death? are they instantly recycled? euthanised? heaven? is greater power meted out to those who covet certain values? would "aware" people create a network in which they teach the "unaware". what would the ratio of this be (one teaching many or many teaching one)? and the final big question - could this lead to "enlightenment" in the sense of the Animatrix? would achievement of this "enlightenment" mean you are "the one"? do we have many "the one"'s? i also have to wonder how long this would really have been going on judging by how long the concept of enlightenment has been in existance. would this mean humanity has possessed interstellar technology for a few thousand years already? a few hundred thousand? and lastly, knowing all this, would i even want out? i think it would be much smarter to work up than out.

a sad cow = 'all singing all dancing crap of the world'

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: The Matrix Extended
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 12:19:13 am »
I feel smarter after a beer.
 8)

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 12:36:07 am »
Trust me, you aren't :D

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 01:01:20 am »
I hate the Matrix.

(and Bioware, Morrowind, and Chocolate. I must be the antichrist or something)
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 01:26:51 am »
If technology has developed so far that humans are able to keep humans in the matrix as a continuous power source, I think the world that is reality would be so wildly different from the one we know that if you plugged out of this matrix I think it is likely that you would go insane from the culture shock.

Okay, so you have humans constantly in a state of orgasm powering machines and robots to mine the earth's resources. But for whom? Who's gaining from this? If no-one is gaining from an enterprise, there is no point to it as no one has interest in something that cannot gain from. And besides, if everyone is in the matrix then there is no one to reap the benefits of their grand scheme in the real world. So who is it that would command the robots to gather the resources and what would they use the resources for?

You talk of "alien" humans, but if there's no one to actually take advantage of this power source (because of the needlessness as I've stated above) in the first place a interstellar race could never come about.

Hmmm. this is distracting me from my work.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 02:17:27 am »
The only matrix I'd want to be a part of is one that simulates Star Trek. But if we have the technology to do that, I imagine we'd have the technology for me to go do the real thing anyway. :P
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline MrTrick Jr.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 02:43:41 am »
have you ever experienced the REAL WORLD.........i did.......and there are so many bad movies......maybe you're heard of "The Gaytrix" or something like that....

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 04:33:25 am »
I hate the Matrix.

(and Bioware, Morrowind, and Chocolate. I must be the antichrist or something)

Nah, it's ok...we hate you. :D
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »
Okay, so you have humans constantly in a state of orgasm powering machines and robots to mine the earth's resources. But for whom? Who's gaining from this? If no-one is gaining from an enterprise, there is no point to it as no one has interest in something that cannot gain from. And besides, if everyone is in the matrix then there is no one to reap the benefits of their grand scheme in the real world. So who is it that would command the robots to gather the resources and what would they use the resources for?

You talk of "alien" humans, but if there's no one to actually take advantage of this power source (because of the needlessness as I've stated above) in the first place a interstellar race could never come about.

well, that's one part of the matrix i don't agree with. humans could not power anything. fundamental law of physics - energy can not be created or destroyed. it can only be processed. i have a hard time believing thinking and body heat, etc would be an efficient conversion of power. i think the matrix was created for humanity by humanity so that everyone has a chance to experience "all the wonderful things". if we really had a post-apocalyptic nuclear winter, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that people would pretend it was a prettier time.

i think the perspective of the "zionists" is slightly skewed in order to keep the movie watchers rooting for humans over machines. an appropriate matrix revolutions would reveal the huamns at the heart of this matrix movement, and possibly even a matrix within the matrix (i.e. they're reliving the lives of people who previously escaped the matrix). i say a matrix within the matrix because of the last scene in Reloaded where Neo drops those seekers. the whole machine-human spiritual twist pisses me off still. there could have made it all make sense logically if they really cared.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 09:13:42 pm »
Ah, so what's powering this massive system of artificial reality? Earth's resources? But isn't the earth's resources also powering the robots and machines that are farming the resources? These resources are gonna deplete rather quickly, meaning the whole matrix system would end rather abrutly. And, of course, as I already said, who would be the organisation to fund such a project in the first place and who would be left to run and maintain it?

If the world was hit by disaster such as nuclear winter, I think we'd be even more hard pressed to create such a fantastical creation; it'd be more a struggle to survive.

Smeagol

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 09:20:07 pm »
If there's a nuclear winter, remind to me laugh from my grave at the poor bastard who is sent from his underground vault to find a water chip.

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 12:13:48 am »
Ah, so what's powering this massive system of artificial reality? Earth's resources? But isn't the earth's resources also powering the robots and machines that are farming the resources? These resources are gonna deplete rather quickly, meaning the whole matrix system would end rather abrutly. And, of course, as I already said, who would be the organisation to fund such a project in the first place and who would be left to run and maintain it?

If the world was hit by disaster such as nuclear winter, I think we'd be even more hard pressed to create such a fantastical creation; it'd be more a struggle to survive.

the way i see it, this isn't an all of the sudden move once nuclear winter hits. perhaps we find a massive deposit of uranium a mile under the surface somewhere, or somehow absorb heat from the core. i'm saying that if we make it feasible, people will choose to live their lives inside a computer 'matrix' rather than deal with whatever reality happens to be. as the world starts to suck more (say this alternative energy source is not commercially available for whatever reason), this choice becomes easier. this technology would eventually improve itself to the point where no humans would have to oversee the system. in other words, there is a fully conscious and capable AI protecting people who prefer to live in this 'matrix'.

i'm also thinking that an organization capable of putting this many people into such a 'matrix' would begin somewhere about now tunneling deep into the earth. have we even officially gotten close to the point where we would 'hit lava' so to speak? i doubt it. if an organization could hide mining efforts from the surveillance efforts of whatever powers engaging in massive war, they could create the infrastructure to survive. why would it even have to be a nuclear winter? what if someone released a massive biotoxin? all it would take is for this main facility to have proper containment and air filtration techniques.

i see many different ways people could play things out. if there is a movement for the rights of people living their lives out in virtual reality (say real life people have certain family members voluntarily plugged in), i could see the appropriate officials in different governments moving things in favor of the machines.

hell here's another scenario, someone in an advanced research lab somewhere creates artificial intelligence and hooks it up to a massive power supply and some robots capable of building more robots. they take some human DNA samples, appropriately preserve them and set a timer of some kind. put this research facility in the middle of a mountain somewhere, seal it off, and put a 3000 year timer before it powers up. eventually we all kill ourselves with whatever war (nuclear, chemical, biological), then later this facility activates in order to restore humanity. what if the people responsible for this movement freeze themselves cryogenically in order to facility the rebirth of humanity?

i know these are all wild tangents with low probability of success, but that doesn't mean people don't exist that would see this as their life's work. i suppose part of my motivation to create these scenarios is this sinking feeling i'm under observation - that i'm somehow subject to someone else's opinion of morality. if my suspicions were somehow confirmed (morpheous finds me...haha) i don't even know that i would disagree with the system. it's in our nature to destroy ourselves, a system of order of this magnitude could easily be the greatest act of compassion towards humanity that anyone has ever done.

Offline MrTrick Jr.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 05:27:07 am »
only reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally sick people read posts longer than 6 lines.......

Offline a sad cow

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 07:48:46 am »
only reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally sick people read posts longer than 6 lines.......

so what does that make me? (6 lines....shit...that was 6 words...well not anymore)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 08:03:54 pm »
Trust me, you aren't :D
there goes my excuse..

"What are you going ? "
"Umm.. Getting smarter" :D