Author Topic: Gather round, chillums  (Read 21029 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Re: Gather round, chillums
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 01:57:02 am »
Fight lawn gnomes too! ^^

Already on the list.

Boo-yah!

Last night i added food and the hunger bar. Suffice it to say that as a poor n00b you will be eating lots of Corrugated Cardboard Flakes. Or flourmeal. (mmm flour and water)

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:13 am »
I actually enjoy corrugated cardboard.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 02:11:05 am »
Then today's your lucky day:

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2006, 02:57:16 am »
Fight lawn gnomes too! ^^

Already on the list.

Yes but what of Ninja lawn gnomes? They have to throw shurikens with boths hands. :P

And what of rioting citizens shouting "RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE!"? Are you forgettign the lost xylophone of Antiock? OR the green goo of gooey green-ness? Or the Beta-bit-soup? Or the Money-Monkey? How could you forget the corn-teeth? Or the Rabbid skunk of Old-Pine? Bob-dole. The random sports-triva? The Kriss Kingle Kandy Korn? The stopwatch of stoppednessorzz0r. Spoon-ed? Ned? Ted? Bed? Red bed sat in the head ned, Ned it it did ned, ned. ted. Analog sticks. Pie Pipers. Foo Fighting Fighters Woo Writers. Never Winter Nouns. Mm-ha! Telephone bandits? Long Distance calls? Fork-u-pine. Ryan-os-er-us. Magic books? The L337 H4xX0rs handbook? How about Bobble-head Jesus? The attack of the guy guy. n00bz0rs? Nintendo's, with biiiig NIN's, and o's. A crystal ball. Made of glass. Emoticons? The ghost of Technology past? Super-refic-action-figure? Internet fads. Superbowels. A goose. Toto. That man. He calls him himself the man. THE MAN WITH MIDIOUS TOUCH. He touched himself too much. Now he's deeeeaaaad. So the people got angry,  and rioted.

Well...I'm obviously not well, I'm gonna go do something.

* SpeedD does something.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2006, 04:03:38 am »
do we get to fight fiindil clones ?

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2006, 05:02:49 am »
buncha stuff

Now you're getting it!

Certain of your ramblings have been noted in ideas.txt. Thanks for putting in a valiant and delirious effort.

do we get to fight fiindil clones ?

Don't count on it. I'm not making Forums.machinaesupremacy.com: The RPG. Maybe next time...

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2006, 09:52:12 pm »
Granted, but you could throw in a few forum references here and there. It would be so cool to fight a dialupdaemon.
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2006, 10:16:22 pm »
Actually, that would be pretty splendid.

*notes*

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 01:02:12 am »
I'm not making Forums.machinaesupremacy.com: The RPG. Maybe next time...
Then how about you get started ?!

Lal, but it would be pretty gotdamn awesome.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2006, 05:23:46 am »
I agree, and it would have potential, but the problem is that right now i am doing it for fun and a little bit for money. I have no job and university isn't cheap in the land of the free.

So i want something kinda... widespread in appeal. More than 20 people, anyway.

edit: i don't mean to imply that this will be a pay-to-play deal, not at all. Completely free.

However, there will be perks for donators. (Theoretically)

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2006, 06:05:08 am »
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to get some input.

I'm definitely having a Hunger meter... and i'm pretty sure there's going to be weight restrictions, which can be alleviated by getting bulkier or having a pack animal alongside you. At any rate, you'll need to find ingredients and make food, or bring it along with you when you go out into the various hostile areas. Water will be a pretty important ingredient.

But what about a thirst meter? I'm definitely in favor of realism in that sense, but it may not have much benefit for gameplay. And an energy meter? People need to sleep, whether or not their health is low. Each of these allows for more things to upgrade and combine; bedrolls can be good or bad, could have juices (-thirst, +health!), smoothies (-hunger AND -thirst!), energy drinks (-thirst, +energy!), chinese food(-hunger, but then an hour later ++hunger!), etc.

I just don't know when to stop trying to be realistic and just let it be a playable game that simplifies the tribulations of life.

Does it sound workable or should I cut back (at least for the time being)? Too much micromanagement- bad. Too much mindless clicking- bad.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2006, 06:28:11 pm »
You could include a thirst meter as kind of an add-on to the hunger meter. You can still survive after the hunger meter is drained (like in real life), but for every day without food, your stats go down.

As for the sleep meter... I dunno, maybe implement it in the "turns" aspect of the game. How far you can move depends on how rested you are.

As for the food items, if you do include a thirst meter, those would all work well and add a nice amount of variety to the game. Nobody likes boring items, and the way you have them, they balance out nicely (especially the Chinese food, hehe).
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 10:24:56 pm »
I think what I've decided is no energy meter; the replacement for HP, Resistance Points, sort of encapsulates that, and since the game will have to be maintenanced every day to update turns and everything, i can call that the time that you're sleeping. So you get, say, 16 hours a day to start off with, and then pretend the other 8 hours are being used for sleep in the 15 minutes of downtime. You can probably decrease how much you need to sleep (and thereby increase your daily time) with better sleeping equipment or something like that.

I added weight the other day and it works splendidly. It's starting to look and feel like an actual game. After class today (oh crap i need to get going) i'll figure out some niggling issues and then see what other cool features want to be added.

Smeagol

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2006, 10:45:15 pm »
Just rip off Legends of Valour's meters.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2006, 03:04:26 am »
Quick research brings me to the conclusion that "no, that's what i DON'T want to have."

Too many meters= the sims. Fun in its own context but too complicated for a browser game.