Author Topic: Gather round, chillums  (Read 21606 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Re: Gather round, chillums
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 10:14:01 pm »
Inter-player trade is a trivial addition, and will certainly happen someday or another. Guilds, I still don't know about. I don't know how the main quests are going to play out, so i don't know if i'll have different quest-givers from different factions, or something more centralized, or if it's just a "You overhear something about a lost blah in the caverns of blah" kinda thing. Once that happens, guilds can be more extant, because i definitely want to have optional quests and choices that have to be made about which side to join.

To that end!
I had a brainstorming session last night and thought of an attack system that I think would be splendid. Every time you attack, you choose one of 5 options, generally described as:
 "Attack" - Using Strength and weapons
"Threaten" - Using mostly Strength and weapons, as well as a bit of Confidence and ______
"Insinuate" - Using an even mixture of Strength/weapons and Confidence/____
"Argue" - Using mostly Confidence/____ and a bit of Strength/weapons
"Persuade" - Using only Confidence and _____

The blanks have yet to be decisively filled in, but they will be to confidence and persuasion what weapons are to attacking and strength and all. So... something physical like nice clothes to improve confidence and trustworthiness, something abstract like education in certain topics (an interesting idea but probably very hard to implement well), or some sort of combination (probably).

At any rate, each attack would add 2, 1, or 0 Mean Points or Nice Points (Think KotOR). Probably there would be other actions to get these points too. So you're going to want to focus on either your ability to argue or your ability to be intimidating, but certain enemies will respond better to one or the other. When you move on the the next incarnation of your character, however, your predecessor's actions will effect things around you; the more drastically, the better. So of course someone will want to go through both the Nice path and the Mean path at least once.

I'm liking it. I've also thought of a few bonus skills that one might pick up to improve one's ability with one of the five "attack" forms, whether it be persuasion or threatening or what have you.

Comments?

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Smeagol

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 10:17:12 pm »
So what does killing everything equate to? Good or evil path?

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 10:20:10 pm »
Evil, of course, for you have corrupted the fabric of society, which as you remember, is unfamiliar with the concept of violence until this Great Evil starts taking over. So the Nice people should be able to use the highly-developed persuasive skills cultivated by this society to defeat even the most violent enemy (though good luck with that). It probably won't be possible to kill everything or argue everything into submission, which is why there are the two options closer to center; if you want to be Mean but something is just too powerful, you can Argue with it so that you're basically using Nice skills but you won't get so many Nice Points.

If you catch my drift.

Smeagol

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 10:28:06 pm »
I think first playthrough, I'll go for what comes naturally whenever I play an RPG. Stab it in the face, and run like hell if it still stands.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 10:30:03 pm »
Well now, that'll depend on your Agility, won't it?

Smeagol

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 10:30:48 pm »
Which I'll bump up to sick levels ASAP

I can't believe I just blew my 8000th post on that.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 04:52:34 am »
You implied a predilection toward my absenting the hunger idea, and it was that which i found myself in disagreement with.
Become my lawyer.

Free beer and 3 girls a day !

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 09:24:56 am »
Sounds good. Except I don't drink and I already have the only girl I want...

But I am minoring in legal studies.

In other news, I received my huge "PHP and MySQL Web Development" bible along with the slightly less huge PHP Phrasebook in the mail today. Very exciting. I have new bedtime reading.

I'm currently revamping and attempting to balance the attack system to work with the new Nice/Mean system. It's way exciting, and that's the only time I've ever said that about something math-related.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 09:00:16 pm »
Will the fighting be inside of a dungeon system or a random encounter system, or anything of the like?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 09:35:03 pm »
Which I'll bump up to sick levels ASAP

I can't believe I just blew my 8000th post on that.

It's ok, it wasn't your first 8000th post anyhow.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Smeagol

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 09:35:52 pm »
Now that's what you would think, isn't it?

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 10:32:37 pm »
Will the fighting be inside of a dungeon system or a random encounter system, or anything of the like?

Right now it's a semi-random encounter, which is to say there will be various areas and monsters associated with said areas.

For example, there is a Flamingo Factory (in the Lawn Furnishings District), and when you enter it, you fight lawn flamingos. In other places where there are more enemies, it'll be chosen randomly, though certain enemies can be more likely to show up.

This system isn't very imaginative, so if there's a cool better way i should consider, whip it out.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 11:03:07 pm »
Heh, nope.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 01:02:20 am »
if there's a cool better way i should consider, whip it out.

THE INNUENDO.

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 10:51:53 am »
Fight lawn gnomes too! ^^