Author Topic: Gather round, chillums  (Read 19569 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Gather round, chillums
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:55:11 am »
Alright. So, I'm crafting a browser game from my bare hands. And also notepad. And MySQL, apache server, PHP 5, etc. But you know, bare hands. Right now it looks like it's going to be an rpg for the most part. However, RPGs are boring. So, my outspoken friends who think everyone needs to know what they think, what do you think? Keep in mind that this is a browser game. What graphics there are will be static (generally) and more or less simple (to be nice to people reloading pages many times). Here's a list or three:

What I CAN do:
Store many thousands of data
Recall, manipulate, display data
Use contents of data to change what's happening on the screen.
Inter-player trade/fighting/???;

That's about it; but that's a LOT of possibility. You kids who played Kingdom of Loathing know how it can work. i want to be better than that, of course.

What I CAN'T do:
Animations (outside of gifs)
real-time strategy/action
voice acting featuring patrick stewart.

What I HAVE done already, in not-nearly chronological order:
Created login system with secure (one-way encryption) password storage;
Created basic interface (see below);
Created inventory system (You have arbitrary numbers of whatever stuff, and you can see the items, and manipulate them);
Created market, and therefore, money system;
Created tab system (see below again);
Created "attack" system and implemented stats;
Created equipment system, where equipment has various stat boosts. How these will work exactly, I'm still pondering;

What I WILL do when I'm done with homework:
add Hunger meter;
Add energy meter;
Add more areas so that i can implement a distance system, such that energy (or maybe time) is reduced by a proportional amount every time you go to a new area (and probably, to a lesser extent, when you travel intra-area);
Attempt to balance attack meter more;
Start writing and implementing the prologue, which is roughly scripted out.

So now. What I actually am looking for from you guys:

How stat boosts work:

Right now, attacking is a relatively simple matter of taking base stats, adding a random amount from 0 to whatever the stat is, doing the same for the enemy, and comparing them, and then doing further comparisons and randomizing to compute damage. Weapons, shields, clothing, accessories etc. could add solid damage... that is, after all the calculations, add 5 (or whatever.) They could add to the minimum random adding, the maximum random adding, or both. They could add percents of base stat or base stat + random.

Thoughts? I think the answer will end up being a combination; some things will increase max possible, some increase min possible, and maybe some just add to the base.

Manipulation of Items:
I plan to have a LOT of items. I want there to be thousands of items and even more combinations thereof. I want there to be food, booze perhaps, potions, crazy weapons, everything you might ingest or use. This is going to be a mostly surreal setting, so the sky's really the limit.

Maybe help with the story (or parts thereof):

I want the background of the game to be in a place where violence is unknown. So basically once something bad happens, nobody knows what's happening or what to do, and you as the player take charge and start fighting with whatever objects you can find. I also want to use this to have some sort of non-combat way to defeat enemies. I was thinking of argument/persuasion/threatening, at least in the lower levels, but any suggestions for that purpose would be swell. even just ideas for areas or subplots.

So to break it down in two:
What features do you want in an RPG?
and, to a lesser extent,
What items and areas and enemies and storylines would you like in a game like this?

go for it!

PS. layout will (probably) be further handled by my girlfriend. She can make everything look pretty but not be very functional, whereas I'm the opposite. Therefore, all layouts (or lacks thereof) in the screenshot above will almost certainly be improved (except perhaps the tabs, which may only get a superficial color change). So i don't really need any suggestions about that UNLESS it's in order to facilitate gameplay. I'm using tabs because they allow you to quickly switch between inventory and whatever else you're doing without reloading or changing the page in any way. It's definitely a keeper.

PPS. I am aware of possible security issues when dealing with PHP, forms, reloading, postdata, sql injection, etc. I'll handle it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:23:50 am by Generalissimo »

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
Re: Gather round, chillums
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 07:32:02 am »
What I CAN'T do:
voice acting featuring patrick stewart.

:'(
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:56:21 am »
This reminds me of a cross between Metal Gear Solid 3, Crossfire and a diplomacy game of Fallout.

As for features, just one:

The promise of it working.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 10:44:16 pm »
y include a hunger bar ?!

I always suck at games with hunger bars.

Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 10:45:54 pm »
Include the damn hunger bar.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 01:49:08 am »
I (amazingly) disagree with rad.

I want food to be more important than in some games where food is completely optional and it just instantly restores health or (like in Kingdom of Loathing) gives you more turns to play and stats, which is better but still not my goal. In my game, food is very important, and if you don't eat for long enough (in terms of played turns), you will start to really suffer; things will take longer (more turns), you'll lose strength, etc. This will work in tandem with the distancing system i mentioned earlier to make it so that it feels more like going out on an adventure; you don't want to run back home after every few turn to heal or eat or whatever, because it's takes too long/too many turns (you know, kinda like in reality).

I'm still pondering how resting/sleeping will work. Because I want the "turns" to take the form of actual time, in that you get however many "hours" per day, and going places and doing quests and such takes "time." So do I say "you get 16 hours in game time because the other 8 hours you're sleeping" (and then possibly give more if their sleeping arrangements are upgraded) or do i say "Here are 24 hours. use them how you wish, but if you don't set up camp and spend some time sleeping every so often, you'll regret it."

More! More comments!

What would be cool in a game like this?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 02:05:44 am »
How can you disagree with me, i didn't make a point, i asked a question.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 02:14:07 am »
You implied a predilection toward my absenting the hunger idea, and it was that which i found myself in disagreement with.

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 02:16:27 am »
Take the Crossfire approach to food. If you don't eat, you die, quickly.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 02:18:14 am »
I don't want quick death. If you don't eat in real life, it takes weeks to die. Also, I don't want anyone to "die" because that's no fun. Something like Beaten Up or Unconscious will suffice, probably.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:18 am »
Or D&D style: -10 =DEAD

0 HP = Beaten up/Unconscious.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Smeagol

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 03:04:33 am »
Or Fallout. 0 = dead. Anything below 0 = awesome death.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 05:33:41 am »
Cameo stuff. Monty Python Black Knight armour or something of the like. Things that people who played would probably notice, and would make them appreciate the fgame more. Hell, make one of the weapons a red stapler (y'know, Office Space...)

Perhaps a class/archetype system? Lord knows when I usually try to make my own character I screw it up somehow, so it would be nice to have guidelines...

I can't think right now, so I'll check back tomorrow, and I'll ask my friends what they think might be cool.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 10:23:01 am »
Thank you, Harvey.

I do hope to parody things, make references to outside whatnot, but not overloaded.

As for classes, you will see that in the screenshot, the debug player is a Level 4 Lawyer.

I have 4 (or possibly 6) classes set up. However, when i was sketching this all out, there were going to be 6 stats and the game was going to be like a combination of an rpg and a turn-based strategy game like Civilization. I couldn't quite reconcile the two, however; you could find items, but what good would that do, since you need to clothe or feed or arm a whole army? So i reverted back to a one-player thing, and when that left, so did a few stats (productivity, happiness). So right now, I have classes that are chosen at registration, but there's no actual differences between them. I still don't know how many stats i'm going to end up having or how they'll work amongst each other, so that's sorta on the back burner until I find more direction.

Furthermore, I'm looking into making it a good choice/bad choice kinda thing. Not to the extent of, say, Fable, but to a certain extent. A game like this needs replay value, so I think that after someone "wins" the game, they can fart around or whatever and then go to the Next Generation. You'd start at the beginning again (minus the prologue) but your player name would be "Name II" and so forth. The actions of your previous incarnation would have effects on the world you're born into, etc. So in that sense there are two dimensions to a character; class of as-yet-undetermined importance, and setting of the moral compass. Subclasses or something, i can worry about later.

Now back to implementing the Lawn Furnishings District.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 05:18:53 pm »
Possibly a guild system, and an inter-player trade system?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.