Author Topic: Real instrument VSTs.  (Read 4224 times)

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
Real instrument VSTs.
« on: February 03, 2006, 06:22:08 am »
I'm looking for a VST instrument that can replicate brass instruments, chorals, reed, woodwind, and strings. I'm looking for something that sounds like the real thing.

Anybody have any links?
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
Re: Real instrument VSTs.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 01:59:25 pm »
dont know anymore than stringz, wich you told me, and mda piano, wich i use in my songs.
i think mda piano simulates a piano qiute good actually.

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline potatismos

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 06:22:58 pm »
i think theres some free stuff called satyr 8.  think it was some strings on that one.

Offline Viewtiful_Dante

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 05:00:28 pm »
I spent quite a time browsing the web for free vst-orchestral plugins. But these are all synth based (what actually sounds crappy if you want the real mccoy) or sample based just using one octave, what makes it sound crappy when you sequence tones out of this sampled octave. So the best free thing is to download a free vst-sf2-player (soundfonts), browse sf2midi.com for a font that fullfills your expectations and use some free reeverb, chorus and eq-plugs on it (carefully). Pretty good sound.
Hardcore-Pro-Productions use Sample-Based-VSTs with PRETTY HUGE sample libraries for eacht tone played each way. You don't get something like this for free, afaik :(

colonelSTIZZEVE

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 09:54:11 am »
Yeah, your best bet is probably sf2midi/searching for soundfonts in general.

The major problem with any VSTi/soundfont/synth/electronic emulation of a real instrument, no matter how authentic it sounds, is replicating the various changes in dynamics, velocity, and resonation that come with playing the actual instrument itself [i.e. replicating playing with emotion, so to speak]. Good example--This is why a lot of presampled drum loops really blow. You can sorta work around this, though, if you're good at leveling that type of shit, and some instruments [namely VST's] will even do this for you to some extent.

However, to the unexperienced ear, these things will work just fine. Hell, I can guarantee that I've been fooled at some point or another. Only extremely picky musicians will really notice and/or call someone out on it.

Again, you're probably best-off using soundfonts. They're pretty flexible and extremely useful, and you can find some really good ones for free.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:32:22 pm »
LIST SOME GOTDAMN AWESOME VSTI'S

VPL 120

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:09:15 am »
IK multimedia have a decent VST, philharmonic i believe it's called?

I would be more useful with links and spelling but i'm going to bed, easy to find though.