Author Topic: What equipment do I need? I have no clue, and I feel stupid.  (Read 3777 times)

Offline finaleclipse06

• Why can't the plural of 'moose' be 'mooses'????
What equipment do I need? I have no clue, and I feel stupid.
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:32:42 am »
Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I'm wondering what equipment I'd need as a vocalist. I am completely clueless, and I feel stupid asking this, but I need to know. I know my username is Wannabe Guitarist but that isn't correct anymore and I don't know how to change it. I've become very interested in doing vocals btw :P.

Anyways, I have:
1) A Sennheiser e815S mic (a dynamic mic, I think)
2) A transformer that lets me plug the mic cable into my guitar amp
3) A guitar amp that has a "mic" setting, which allows me to run my mic through it, though I have a strong feeling I should be using something else for this purpose.

If there is anything else you think I need besides what I have, then tell me. Also, if you think I need to change what I have completely, or however much, then tell me what you think I need to change, and what you think I should change it to. I've been using what I listed because I don't know what different equipment I'd need.

I am so ignorant on equipment it's not funny (well, actually it is :P). I don't even know if there is a different kind of amp for vocalists than for guitarists, though I assume there is (see how little I know? :'().

But I really need help with this because I know nothing about it and I am going to start looking soon to find people to start up a heavy metal band. So, if you can help me, please do so. I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: What equipment do I need? I have no clue, and I feel stupid.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 01:10:30 am »
If you are thinking about getting a mic amp, get one from E.V..

Electro-Voice
Prominent maker of microphones; also loudspeaker systems, amplifiers.
www.electrovoice.com/

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:43:51 am »
Is the only way to get an amp by them via online ordering? And do you have a recommended wattage?

Oh, and does it matter which kind of mic I use (dynamic or condenser)? I've heard both sides to that debate. Which would be better to use in my case? I don't know if it makes a difference depending on what style of music you're playing (I'm wanting to do heavy metal vocals, which will include screaming, in case you didn't see that in the last post), or if it just depends on personal preference?

Thanks!

colonelSTIZZEVE

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:28:23 am »
For live vocals, a good dynamic mic is your best bet.

For recording vocals, or if you're mic-ing some type of analog instrument, live or recording, [i.e. acoustic guitar, violin, cello, etc.], go with a good condenser with a wind screen thingy.

Chances are, once you're in a band, you're gonna need a PA and mixer if you/they don't already have one. As for suggestions pertaining to these, I'm not too sure.. Peavey makes good speakers, but for a PA I'm not too positive.

Good luck with your new endeavor.

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 05:47:37 am »
OK now i feel REALLY stupid....What's a PA? and what's a mixer? God do I feel stupid :P And by speaker, I assume you mean amp?

colonelSTIZZEVE

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:05:59 am »
A PA system is the set of speakers that [usually] amplifies the entire band. The mixer is the little box where all the outputs from the different mics go, and where they are leveled accordingly. This final signal is sent out from the mixer through the main speakers, which would be the PA speakers.

Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about that at all right now. Your current setup should suffice, but if not, I'm sure that once you find some band members, they'll know their shit and help you out. As long as your amp is somewhere in the 50-150 watt range [and some reverb would be a nice touch], you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 07:48:10 pm »
I have a 10 watt guitar amp, so I assume I should get a 50 watt amp at the least, preferably a mic amp. I also will need a mic stand, b/c the one I have is only a desktop mic stand. I didn't have enough floorspace due to the arrangement of furniture in my room at the time to have a full-sized mic stand.

I've talked to a friend of mine, who plays guitar, and we're starting something up, looking for a bassist and a drummer. We will hopefully have the bassist slot filled by a friend of my friend's who is very good from what I hear. As for the drummer, I've asked one of my other friends who knows a couple drummers to ask them if the want to start this up w/ us, and if they are already in a band to ask them if they know any other drummers who aren't who might be interested.

So, we've begun to start up a band, basically. We just need a couple more members. Thank you very much for your help! If anyone has anything else to say, by all means say it. :P

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:05:04 am »
50 watts is not going to work i reckon.

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 12:07:30 am »
What wattage do you recommend?

MDX

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 01:54:23 am »
is this for live gigging or just plain ole garage rockin>

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 03:54:45 am »
It would be first for garage jamming, then later for live gigs.

colonelSTIZZEVE

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 06:30:48 am »
Yeah.. 50 watts is good for garage jamming. As for shows.. you're gonna need at least 100 watts.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 04:13:01 am »
Or a chicken.

They work.