Author Topic: Super Mario RPG  (Read 5915 times)

Offline A-rock

Re: Super Mario RPG
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
it was pretty good i was godly at the end as most people should have been but i still think the megaman X series beats it

Offline A-rock

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 01:40:24 pm »
but since mega man isnt RPG id have to go with FF3

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 03:02:26 am »
Ah the good old days. I know have this on my modded XBOX, although I still have the game and the SNES.

Besides Super Metroid is a far superior game.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 02:32:56 pm »
I think my favourite SNES RPGs are Secret of Mana (for the experience and beating it together with my brother), and Lufia 1 for the only RPG story that's ever made me cry. Shame about the tedious leveling you have to do, though. Lufia 2 had better combat, good humor, and (SPOILERS) starting the game with introducing the male protagonist's childhood female friend who likes him, who turns out NOT to go together with him in the end, due to their different lifestyles. In fact he ditches her mid-game and marries someone else. (/SPOILERS)

As for Seiken 3, the confusing battles didn't feel very fair, as three enemies could gang up on one ally and beat him/her to a pixelly pulp, especially in the start of the game. The 3-way story was cool, though the player felt somehow restricted. I don't remember much of FF4 and 5, but I'm pretty sure I liked them both. FF6 didn't have the same cohorence or gameplay fun, I thought, it's like they were trying to cram too much story elements in (thus the overly large cast of characters?). I really liked Chrono Trigger, though I think I never grasped the full story (with Magus etc). I loved SMRPG, though the battles were very hard sometimes. Paper Mario had a style and gameplay that might as well have been custom made for me, as I liked it more. PM2 sucked, though, it was like a bad and blatant rehash of the first, only smaller, with no Mario feel and with less sense of a connected world.

In general, I mostly used my SNES for Super Mario World 1 and 2, Super Metroid, Zelda 3, Secret of Mana, Mario Kart, Super Bomberman, Stunt Race FX, Starfox (American version) and Equinox (Solstice 2). Call me fanboy, but I still think the two Super Mario Worlds, Super Metroid and Zelda 3 are some of the most expertly crafted games ever. :p

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 08:03:34 pm »
When I played Lufia 1 I was 10 years old, and I think I got stuck and decided never to play it again...

Super Mario RPG was definitely awesome; especially everything at and after the weird guy's tower (the wedding was my favorite part).

The Front Mission games are definitely some of the best RPGs I've ever played. I got Front Mission 4 last year and spent about half of the year playing it.  ;D
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 10:13:44 pm »
Super Mario RPG is one of the maybe 3 storylined games that i've replayed. And I've replayed it the most. It is fucking awesome, though I've never been able to do the 30 (or 100) jumps in a row thing. LE SIGH.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 02:40:33 am »
When I played Lufia 1 I was 10 years old, and I think I got stuck and decided never to play it again...

Super Mario RPG was definitely awesome; especially everything at and after the weird guy's tower (the wedding was my favorite part).

The Front Mission games are definitely some of the best RPGs I've ever played. I got Front Mission 4 last year and spent about half of the year playing it.  ;D
Try Lufia Return of the Sinistrals. Pure evil puzzles designed to torture to player until he/she either microwaves the game or commits seppuku.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Elrond

• sw33t!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2006, 11:39:43 pm »
but since mega man isnt RPG id have to go with FF3
Actually it is. Mega Man X Command Mission on PS2 and GC. Okay here's my story: When I was a kid I rented Mario RPG and I got stuck on the Axem Rangers. I had to return the game and didn't get to re-rent it. I borrowed it from my friend recently since I am too l33t to get stuck at bosses nowadays. I was making good progress in the game when my foot tapped the SNES ever so gently. My freakin' saved game got erased. I can't wait for the Nintendo Revolution to come out so I can download Mario RPG and start a new save.
Signature has been removed due to violation of size-constraints.

Offline __sdfg

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 12:56:22 am »

Try Lufia Return of the Sinistrals. Pure evil puzzles designed to torture to player until he/she either microwaves the game or commits seppuku.
I rented that once.  I got stuck somewhere and ended up concluding that I'd broken the game.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 08:51:12 am »

I rented that once.  I got stuck somewhere and ended up concluding that I'd broken the game.

Let me guess, it was the rock puzzle to open a door? :P
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline __sdfg

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 03:38:45 pm »
If there was a door, I don't remember seeing it.  I went to some castle, where there was a big, long, scripted sequence in which some guy ran out of the castle to go storm a dungeon.  I went over to the dungeon to see what was going on and, in what appeared to be the room at the end of the dungeon, found... nothing.  I then went back to the castle and found the guy who'd run out earlier sitting at the bar and acting like the scripted thing had never happened.  I can't get into more detail than that since it's been seven or eight years since I played the game and that's about all I can remember.

[EDIT]:  Hell, now that I think about it, I can't even remember that which of the two SNES Lufia games it was.  I have a vague memory of the rental place screwing up and putting one game in the other's box...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 01:49:37 am by __sdfg »