Author Topic: www.mnengine.net  (Read 4354 times)

Offline ReKlipz

• mmmhmmm
    • mnEngine - OpenGL 3D Engine
www.mnengine.net
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:43:01 am »
Don't know if I should have posted this under gaming or general, so feel free to move it.

A friend and I (began it this summer), are designing an OpenGL gaming engine, just for the hell of it (and its been loads of fun, lol)

www.mnengine.net

I don't know how many of you program, and whether or not you can begin to appreciate what we've accomplished yet (it's not really "playable" at the moment, at least not in laymans terms, right know, your a camera that moves around the map, like noclip one could say...)

This is what it does so far:
   Loads & Renders Quake III .bsp files (will eventually make custom maps in the QIII bsp format...)
   Loads & Renders Doom III(Quake IV) .md5 models (.md5mesh and .md5anim, no interpolation yet, just rigid movement...)

Thats really all it does using known technology (that I can relate to games...)
We have support for 1st person cameras and 3rd person cameras.  Also am in the middle of adding DOT3 Bump Mapping (Normal Mapping (referred to as renderbump mapping in doom III I think)).  The map loader doesn't load quake III shaders, and the md5 model loader doesn't load doom III shaders, because we are going to write our own shader format, the .bsp and .md5 are strictly for the geometry storage(lol, didnt know what to call it...).  The .bsp loader applies lightmapping (which sucks, which is why we are writing our own shaders, lol).

We'll post a public release of it as soon as we get some time, so stop back soon!

Also, if you have any suggestions for the site (made that all by hand BTW... has a fully featured CMS that I made too, lol) or for the engine (which has been kinda delayed because of school and work...) feel free to post.

Thanks!
~ReKlipz

Offline ReKlipz

• mmmhmmm
Re: www.mnengine.net
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 01:49:56 pm »
Heres a couple of screenshots (oh, and BTW, the engine now has a screenshot system... lol)

for some reason, my host is CaSe SeNsItIvE which is really kinda annoying the hell outta me... so if you type em by hand, make sure you get the case right...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:43:42 pm by ReKlipz »

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 04:01:55 am »
I'm not the greatest programmer in the world but I can definitely appreciate what you've been doing. Keep up the amazing work. What language are you using? C++ I assume?
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline ReKlipz

• mmmhmmm
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 05:32:42 am »
Yep, C++.  Nothing but the best, lol.

I couldn't imagine writing in Java or VB (or any .NET language...) for a game.  Would just have SOOO much overhead... be really groggy...

And with c++, what we've done so far is all cross platform.  So we can distro for linux and mac and shit if we need to (cause I hear VISTA + OpenGL = Major Suckage!), cause M$ is tryin to promo its DX...

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 05:33:27 am »
Nice job man, keep em comming. Always good to someone actually putting their knowledge to use :D
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 11:39:16 am »
:o

Looking pretty sweet, I'm thinking Vista wont be overly popular with gamers til about 2010-15 anyway, as I hear its a right arse to get games to work for it. Nevertheless, I hope all goes well

Suggestions for the site.. Hmmm.. I could think of millions ;) The colour scheme isnt all too good, but I love that nav bar at the top, how it all opens up slowly. It could load a bit faster though I guess. [EDIT] Nice.. It only opens up like that once - thats pretty damn clever.

Anyway, the colour scheme of the site is a little.. too purple. I think the white doesnt work with that purple colour, and especially with the purple bits being so bold. Try putting a black background on it or something, that might work.

Offline ReKlipz

• mmmhmmm
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 05:24:30 pm »
Nice.. It only opens up like that once - thats pretty damn clever.

lol - I added that cause it annoyed the hell outta me while I was testing it, and figured it would others too, lol.

Anyway, the colour scheme of the site is a little.. too purple. I think the white doesnt work with that purple colour, and especially with the purple bits being so bold. Try putting a black background on it or something, that might work.

Ya, so you guys see it as purple too huh? I was going for a dark navy blue, but it looks as though it got messed up somewhere along the line...

Ill maybe make a couple different color schemes if I get time to do it.

Thanks for the comments so far! Keep em comin!

Quick question, If I made a quick release this weekend, would anyone here download it and actually run it?

Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 07:14:51 pm »
The props look too much like XBoxes for my liking

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:06:51 pm »
I'd test it. I'm all for new game engines :)

Offline ReKlipz

• mmmhmmm
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:41:58 pm »
The props (models... as they are labeled in the BSP..) dont have any lighting applied to them...

There is also no alpha blending on in those pics... so it looks a bit better(transparency in the textures...)

But ya..

~Nate

chompy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 08:00:26 am »
IT looks very Tron  esque. I would download to give it a go. 31 degrees celcius.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 07:38:54 pm »
IT looks very Tron  esque. I would download to give it a go. 31 degrees celcius.

I think the green squares are a temporary placeholder for a proper texture.

Offline ReKlipz

• mmmhmmm
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 08:38:22 am »
I think the green squares are a temporary placeholder for a proper texture.

exactly right...

In fact, it says "No Texture Found" right on the darn thing, lol

The reason the walls are textured that is cause their shader is "noshader", and seeing how we dont load shaders, we just look for a file called either "<shadername>.tga" or "<shadername>.jpg", so noshader means full out no color or anything (black)...

once we implement the shader language we still have to design, those will all be gone, lol

Never played tron before, so thats why there was no post about the squares, lol

Offline Geezus

• The latest Ninja!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:27 pm »
we are going to write our own shader format, the .bsp and .md5 are strictly for the geometry storage(lol, didnt know what to call it...).  The .bsp loader applies lightmapping (which sucks, which is why we are writing our own shaders, lol).
Looks interesting, GameEngines are fun :)
Your own shader format? What's wrong with GLSL?
On the website, it is a bit "information less" ;)

Do you have a somewhat planned OODesign with class diagrams or are you just making stuff up as you go?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 11:28:58 pm by Geezus »
SMEG!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 12:05:47 am »
And how about the time when the dude was like yeah and like, totally talked about that