Author Topic: New Intel Macs  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
New Intel Macs
« on: January 11, 2006, 09:07:41 pm »
OMG they are here. I need money!

Shiny new INTEL iMacs and Powerbooks (which are called MacBook Pro now).

http://www.apple.com/

Offline BeautifulNightmare

Re: New Intel Macs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:08:53 pm »
I have no money for anything  :( Wish I could afford it.
You Are My Reason To Despise The World

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:14:03 pm »
I want a MacBook Pro too :( I already have an iMac but I'm still paying it off so no upgrade there for me. But the Book is defineatly sweet ^_^

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:40:19 pm »
My order is going in for a 20" iMac Core Duo as soon as the resellers get their stock. I've already e-mailed a reseller to confirm when stock will be in, but they don't know. I'm getting one with a scheme with my job, where they purchase one on my behalf and get refunded the VAT. Then I can buy it off of them with my bonus.

They don't use BIOS though, so running Windows on them will be a little trickier than expected.

Still, they represent a cool new era in computing. I'm not honestly going to be using Windows that much, unless I can run Half Life 2 on it. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for WINE to be ported across.

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:12:18 pm »
I would like any sort of decent computer.

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 10:18:46 pm »
I wish I just had the money to upgrade my new PC. These ones look interesting though; if I ever am in the market for another new PC I'll definitely check these out.
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:06:40 am »
I heard this on the radio:

"Apple runs the risk of alienating fans who have always liked 'being different'"

and roffled.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 12:46:11 am »
OMG APPLE ARE NO LONGER INDY.

chompy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 12:59:53 am »
One word for this;

Total Boner!

I really really really really want one, I have enough money for the top MacPro one but alas no credit card. This is what I have been waiting for, for over the last year. All those times saying I'll wait to see is mac will release the intel laptop, and the day has finally arrived. In theory I can play baulders gate on the mac!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 01:04:22 am »
In theory us PC users can pirate Mac OS X, and then, and then, people who write viruses will be all "whoh hey our shit is uberleet now" and then, and then, macs will explode with malware et cetera, like whoa, and then I'll laugh.

hahah.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

chompy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 01:15:17 am »
Yes you can do that now with Intel processors and the dev kit, I wont imagine it to be too long before it gets out. But remember you are also buying the somewhat more controlled hardware for the specific OS.

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 03:59:44 am »
I have a great story about these...

so me and my friend are always having fights about mac's, hes for them, I'm against them.
so one day, he was complaining that his computer wasn't fast enough to run F.E.A.R., so I asked him the specs, He jokingly said a pentium 3.
on that day, the intel mac was released, and his dad said he could get one just for F.E.A.R.

how weird is that  ;D
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 05:44:11 am »
My order is going in for a 20" iMac Core Duo as soon as the resellers get their stock. I've already e-mailed a reseller to confirm when stock will be in, but they don't know. I'm getting one with a scheme with my job, where they purchase one on my behalf and get refunded the VAT. Then I can buy it off of them with my bonus.

They don't use BIOS though, so running Windows on them will be a little trickier than expected.

Still, they represent a cool new era in computing. I'm not honestly going to be using Windows that much, unless I can run Half Life 2 on it. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for WINE to be ported across.

Wine and the like already run fine on OSX x86. Almost anything that will run on Linux should run fine on it. You can try it already if you have a processor with SSE3 and a spare hard drive for OSX.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Lexx

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 05:55:54 am »
MacBook? Can't say I like the name..

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 01:01:16 pm »
Cant say I like the idea. It's a step forwards though.

Although I never did like Macs.