Author Topic: Darwina !  (Read 8005 times)

Offline dialupdaemon

Re: Darwina !
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 02:43:02 am »
<3 Steampowered. it's where I mainly post.

:o With 6841 posts I'd definitely hope so. That almost tops Fiindil here!
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 03:07:22 am »
LOL !

freak.

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 12:11:58 am »
Heh, much easier to spam there.

Smeagol

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 01:11:36 am »
Heh, much easier to spam there.
orly?

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 02:51:50 am »
rly.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 02:59:49 am »
hmm think so.

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 03:02:05 am »
oui
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Smeagol

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 04:23:40 am »
Mais non

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 12:43:58 pm »
I do concur;
It is a major pain in the butt to install use - update , and keep updated, etcetera. I dislike playing my games like so and not only that you HAVE to be online and to unlock the copy before you play it. Who remembers the massive difficulties getting onto the server when it originally came out?

Yeah, I got the game on it's release and on my birthday. (5th November in UK) I was there staring at it for an hour as I tried to get the thing ready on my 56k. GRrrrr only bad memory of Steam though, apart from the offline mode failing sometimes when I still have my 56k.

Nowadays Steam is actually half decent, it is good for lazy people, because it automatically updates everything. The main reason steam has a bad name is because it was scarred by the days of 56k modems, where it used to take months to get onto a download server, then years to actually download a tiny update. Everything is all automated and uber fast now, and streamlined so while you're playing it doesnt lag you etc. I quite like steam now actually, and since they supply the best game on the intarweb imo, I guess if I had a problem with it then I'd be screwed :)

Lexx

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 04:30:55 pm »
I was just put off my Steam because when I buy a game, in a box, on a DVD I expect to be able to install>play. Not install steam>log on>register>install Half-Life 2>crash>install Half-Life 2 *and* Counter-Strike Source>verify....verify..verify..>have dinner>verify..>update>uninstall counter-strike>restart>log on>update again>verify again>play[1]>shoot yourself.

I missed out the bit about updating the graphics divers, because I guess you have to do that with most games anyway.

[1] Evens may have been exagerated.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 04:32:37 pm by [Rehevkor] »

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 04:59:32 pm »
I was just put off my Steam because when I buy a game, in a box, on a DVD I expect to be able to install>play. Not install steam>log on>register>install Half-Life 2>crash>install Half-Life 2 *and* Counter-Strike Source>verify....verify..verify..>have dinner>verify..>update>uninstall counter-strike>restart>log on>update again>verify again>play[1]>shoot yourself.

I missed out the bit about updating the graphics divers, because I guess you have to do that with most games anyway.

Yeah I got that with my 56k when HL2 first came out. Now it's fine. They probably had such a big problem with the release of HL2, as they simply weren't ready for that kind of demand.

Ankle

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 08:16:35 pm »

Yeah I got that with my 56k when HL2 first came out. Now it's fine. They probably had such a big problem with the release of HL2, as they simply weren't ready for that kind of demand.
It is still like that every patch and Valve bearly is using half their bandwidth or even a quarter around new patches. Damn thing sits there scanning for updates for like an hour, I JUST WANT TO LAUNCH THE GAME NOW NOT THEN.

Offline Pod

• Zzzzzaaaaap
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005, 01:39:36 am »
I do concur;
It is a major pain in the butt to install use - update , and keep updated, etcetera. I dislike playing my games like so and not only that you HAVE to be online and to unlock the copy before you play it. Who remembers the massive difficulties getting onto the server when it originally came out?

On the other hand I have lost my collectors edition of Half -life 2 and now have to borrow my mates version to install. This aint bad and all because all of my "purchased" games can still be accessed without the original DVD.

I lost my original HL cd donkey's years ago. However, because I input the cd key into steam, I can download it anytime I want without having to pay. Hurrah.

The same goes for the game "Escape Velocity Nova". Anytime I want the game again, I just re-download it and use the "I forgot my key" feature and they send it to me from thier database :D

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2005, 10:25:49 pm »
I do concur;

On the other hand I have lost my collectors edition of Half -life 2 and now have to borrow my mates version to install. This aint bad and all because all of my "purchased" games can still be accessed without the original DVD.

I lost my original HL cd donkey's years ago. However, because I input the cd key into steam, I can download it anytime I want without having to pay. Hurrah.

The same goes for the game "Escape Velocity Nova". Anytime I want the game again, I just re-download it and use the "I forgot my key" feature and they send it to me from thier database :D

Same here !!

Someone hacked my password, and just 1 mail later i was playing CS Source.

That part of steam rocks.