Author Topic: 1000 Members (nearly)  (Read 36219 times)

Offline daYak

• 90% herbivore
Re: 1000 Members (nearly)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 02:27:22 am »
Sharp wit ahoy! I think if we just stopped with all of the warnings, and stopped seeming to try too hard, it could increase the number of active members. I suggest we temporarily ignore newbies until they reach a few posts, then welcome them. Yes/no? I generally suck at talking to people, so any other suggestions would be oh so nice.

my suggestion for you: Think 10 times before you talk. You would probably end up not talking because you would realize you were about to say dumb stuff. but if you still felt like sharing your thought, then it would be a good one to talk about  ;)

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 02:28:01 am »
Fiindil, you alone almost make up for the lack of everyone else's postage. Besides, almost all of the people on IRC never talk there so how can we assume that it would be any different here?
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 02:28:51 am »
Sharp wit ahoy! I think if we just stopped with all of the warnings, and stopped seeming to try too hard, it could increase the number of active members. I suggest we temporarily ignore newbies until they reach a few posts, then welcome them. Yes/no? I generally suck at talking to people, so any other suggestions would be oh so nice.

my suggestion for you: Think 10 times before you talk. You would probably end up not talking because you would realize you were about to say dumb stuff. but if you still felt like sharing your thought, then it would be a good one to talk about  ;)

If everyone here did that then the forum wouldn't be worth reading anymore and it would die completely. If not for the stupid things, what would we talk about?

Smeagol

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 02:33:07 am »
Fiindil, you alone almost make up for the lack of everyone else's postage. Besides, almost all of the people on IRC never talk there so how can we assume that it would be any different here?

Seems you keep missing out on the activity then.

My posts are perfectly measured. If you think this is bad, I suggest you trawl through Salvaged Messages, and see some of my legacy.

If everyone here did that then the forum wouldn't be worth reading anymore and it would die completely. If not for the stupid things, what would we talk about?

Untrue. We have had numerous serious threads before. Not all of it is dumb, the majority is humourous, and spontaneous humour is always better than that which is scripted and planned.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 02:38:53 am »
We need to stop scaring off all of the newbies :-\ It's going to affect the forum negativly in the long run.

We don't. It's a common forum thing. All forums have users that come in, reads a bit and maybe posts a couple of posts, and then disappear forever. Another forum I hang in, a roleplaying forum for the game Kult, has the same problem, even though there's quite a lot of activity, and most posts there are on topic and often very good. Of 800 registered members, less than 100 members can be said to ever have actually been active.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Smeagol

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 02:41:13 am »
The thing is, the number of inactives seems disproportionately high compared to other forums. By now, we should be nearing around 50-60 regulars. We have 21.

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 02:45:50 am »
The thing is, the number of inactives seems disproportionately high compared to other forums. By now, we should be nearing around 50-60 regulars. We have 21.

agreed. There is definitely a trend in most (if not all) forums where people make a few posts and then are never seen again but its just unnatural here. Around 30% of users haven't even made ONE post. I don't think you could name another forum that has a similar post count to this one that is the same in that respect.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 03:06:34 am »
I disagree with that there is too much useless fun and shit, and makes the newbies leave.

I stayed because this place was so fun and chill, with not many rules.

And if you want info about MaSu, you'll get (most of the time) a straight&good answer.

Smeagol

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 03:10:13 am »
If you take out the top 10 posters:

Fiindil         
VisionThing       
megadokyo       
Laser Akakori       
Chompy       
Gravehill       
Bateman       
Magicman
Wintress       
SomethingGood       

You lose many of the posts. In fact, 36509 of all posts come just from this pool of 10.

71910 - 36509 =  35401

That's 50.77% of all posts, just from 10 members. Am I the only one who finds these figures slightly worrying?

If it was stretched to the top 15 like the last forum, I'm sure it would show up far more.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 03:15:53 am »
Ahh, who gives a flying fuck anyway ?

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 04:33:10 am »
Yeah, since when have we cared what Fiindil thought?
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 06:27:26 am »
Since he did his dead-on Rad impression.

He's my idol now.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005, 11:19:27 am »
I was thinking of including some now somewhat dubious entries, like Boaz and Fallout.

About as regular as the sun imploding.

We're all going to die a fiery death?

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2005, 11:41:44 am »
I was thinking of including some now somewhat dubious entries, like Boaz and Fallout.

About as regular as the sun imploding.

We're all going to die a fiery death?

Wouldn't want it any other way.

Though I imagine an imploding sun would actually result in a freezing death.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 12:35:20 pm »
My theory is that the forum attracts people with a certain profile (music taste, games, psychological). Everyone who doesn't fit finds that out sooner or later and leaves. All others (aka top posters) develop an addiction.