Author Topic: Out of complete boredom ( lots of graphics!)  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
Re: Out of complete boredom ( lots of graphics!)
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 08:33:23 pm »
I really like Toreador some reason. (I mean the old guy with the bolwer hat)

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 08:58:16 pm »
it's because he is old and has a bowler hat.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 12:42:36 am »
Tremere.. and they're "Old blood"  best I could do without a tophat.. ;)
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 12:43:26 am »
I'm afraid I have no idea where this is from, it was send to me from a link depository type place (metacafe)

Website to download this mysterious program of wonderment..ness?
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 01:10:24 am »
Tremere and their thaumaturgy FTW. Nothing like being able to kill everyone in the room with an explosion of blood. ^^
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 11:57:30 pm »
Unless you're a malkavian with very high ranks in dementaia... then you make everyone BELIEVE they've died in a pool of blood...

And they do.

Tremere and their thaumaturgy FTW. Nothing like being able to kill everyone in the room with an explosion of blood. ^^
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 04:25:48 am »
Personally I prefer not being crazy. I get my fill of that in real life.  :P
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 04:51:30 am »
Yeah, the malkavians really rocked. It's a sad thing they've been marginalised in WoD2.0.

Not that I care that much. I'm more a fan of Kult (that's the publishers homepage, and doesn't have much info - for that, download The Steel Heart: Issue 1 and read the introduction, or if you don't want to download a pdf, read this article (though it's not really that good an introduction, it's at least better than nothing).

Kult can possibly be seen as an inspiration to the creators of the World of Darkness, as they are known to have been fans of the original version, and there are a number of parallels. I feel, however, that Kult is a much more interesting setting with greater potential (for both darkness and other things). It's infamous, amongst other things, for using a "real" magic system (the magic system is supposedly highly influenced by the swedish occult group Dragon Rouge), and it has gotten some sort of cult(haha, very nice pun)/urban legend status among horror RPG fans, as it was for some time fairly difficult to get your hands on a copy of the main book. Many people had heard of it, but comparatively few actually had any knowledge about it. While the rumour it did catch, of being "the darkest RPG out there", might be true, many accounts of exactly how dark it is is exaggregated.

The game isn't particularly well fleshed out, with numerous holes open for interpretation, which is really one of its great strengths. It has lead to some very good fanmade material, such as The Darkness of My Heart, which effectively shows the difference between Kult and, say, Vampire. Here, being a Child of the Night, a Damned, is described like it should be: you are damned, it's not some fun trip of immortality and superpowers.

To quote Chris Warren in the introduction to the Steel Heart Issue 1:
Unlike the familiar forms of traditional horror, of Frankensteins and Draculas and Wolfmen, shrouded
in their Romantic conceits, Kult delves deeper into the source of what disturbs us. It cuts to the very root
of our nightmares, fully encompassing the metaphors of the above, and then some, in a grand unified
theory of horror in which reality itself is the monster, and it has already swallowed us whole. Far from
being a stale repackaging of a classic myth for a new generation, Kult is singular and universal; a product
which could only arise from the philosophical literacy of post-industrial times, yet symbolises a theme as
old as any human fiction.

As you might have guessed, Kult is a modern, urban horror RPG without the romantication you see in most other RPGs. In Kult, the world isn't the "dark" colour of Anne Rice-ified vampires, but a more genuine darkness that shows you the dark sides of humanity, maybe even illuminating some shadows of your own.

Right, enough advertising for Kult, now. This thing was supposed to be a two-paragraph reply to the awesomeness of malkavians, but has turned into one of my longest rant in quite some time.

Anyway: if you're interested in dark RPGs, check it out. Visit The Last Cycle, probably the best fan community for the game on the net and read around. You won't be disappointed.

There, done.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic