Author Topic: hey hey Anklet, and possibly Rehevkor + Torp  (Read 15899 times)

Smeagol

Re: hey hey Anklet, and possibly Rehevkor + Torp
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 10:10:44 pm »
Well, scream what you want. Chris Taylor has delivered the only really great real-time strategy game in existence

That seems overly harsh IMO. Age of Empires 1 & 3 run it close, as do the C&C Red Alert games.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 10:23:54 pm »
Okay, the two first C&C games (Tiberian Dawn and RA1) were great. Much of this was due to the story, and none of them reached the level of TA when it came to gameplay. AoE1 was quite fun, but not great.

I haven't played AoE3, actually, so I can't comment. Apart from that it is, per definition, worse than TA.

I stand by my statement that TA is the only really great RTS out there. This judgement is made purely on gameplay, not on backstory or coolness factor. With background story, C&C does give it a run for its money.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Smeagol

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 10:31:14 pm »
Can't disagree there.

Fiindil away!

To play either AOE III or TA

* Fiindil flips a coin

TA it is.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2005, 09:37:49 pm »
I <4 RA1 and RA2, especially RA2. RA2 let me use a strategy other than bumrushing the enemy to reach a victory. And the cutscenes were horribly corny, which was just awesome.

I loved playing as Great Britain and using a Sniper IFV to zoom around the map and just pick off enemy formations. Especially once it got to Elite status; then it was just crazy. And Crazy Ivan IFVs were fun; cheap suicide bombers that you could use to blow out the enemy's wall and then rush in and blow everything to hell with.  ;D

I really liked Tiberian Sun, but my copy disappeared. I hadn't realized till I downloaded a bunch of mods a couple of years ago and I wanted to play, and I couldn't find it...

C&C Generals was just horrible, especially on my crappy PC.

I've never gotten to play Total Annihliation, but I've wanted to for a while.  :'( I need to find a way to  play.

AoE1 was good for it's time, but the scaling was horrible and it could get old after a while. Although, the creators threw min some interesting cheat codes that kept me playing a little longer. The sports car that shot rockets, for example, or the laser troopers...

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2005, 09:44:37 pm »
AOE I was great for it's time period, then along came AOK, which it mostly certainly was not. The unique units crap was horrible, and there were some many OPed sides. Thankfully, AOE III had rekindled my faith in Ensemble Studios to make good RTS games (I never did get around to playing Age of Mythology).

As for Red Alert II, I never used IFVs, they just didn't strike me as useful enough. Probably missed out on a trick or two doing so.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2005, 10:06:30 pm »
AOE I was great for it's time period, then along came AOK, which it mostly certainly was not. The unique units crap was horrible, and there were some many OPed sides. Thankfully, AOE III had rekindled my faith in Ensemble Studios to make good RTS games (I never did get around to playing Age of Mythology).

As for Red Alert II, I never used IFVs, they just didn't strike me as useful enough. Probably missed out on a trick or two doing so.

Lol, I bought AoK last year thinking it would be good...

I also bought Star Wars: Galactic Battlefront thinking that would be good, especially because it used the AoK engine. Evenre more sorely disappointing than AoK.

As for the IFV thing, you have no idea how much you missed out on.

Although, something about that always struck me as strange: when you sent attack dogs into the IFVs, they turned into turret IFVs...
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2005, 10:19:40 pm »
I also bought Star Wars: Galactic Battlefront thinking that would be good, especially because it used the AoK engine. Evenre more sorely disappointing than AoK.

The tactical thinking in that game was immense. Spam repeater troopers. Charge, kill a fair few things, die. REPEAT. REPEAT. REPSHITOUTOFRESOURCES.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 01:14:50 am »
C&C TD > C&C RA > TA > SC > *

That is considering them from the overall entire game perspective. Personally I prefer TD over TA and SC as far as gameplay goes as well. The C&C interface owns the shit out of the ones SC and TA uses too. Left click and right hand sidebar for life, can't stand to use anything else.

Personally I dislike TS and dispise RA2. They were both huge disapointments for me, right there with DX2. TS ditched the First Person Perspective in the cutscenes which crapped on the story, though they returned to FPP in Firestorm expansion which was way better. Game engine ran and looked like shit plus the music was dull compared to RA and TD, though the Firestorm tracks were good. The only really good TS track was Nod Crush.

RA2 totally shit all over the story with the awful writing/acting and 'corny' shit in the cutscenes. Game engine was the same and still ran like shit even though they limited it to much smaller (IE. boring tiny) maps and the graphics style was too cartoony for my tastes. Interface was vastly improved however, thanks to the addition of tabs on the sidebar. The music was also great again, although I still prefer TD and RA's soundtrack (along with the remixes in Sole Survivor and Retaliation).

Generals, well, I just pretend that it doesn't exist. Denile is bliss.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 02:32:35 am »
Lol, I generally just don't consider story when it comes to strategy games; all it ever seems to do is set the location for the next battle or some such thing. And besides, once the game starts it's hard to think about story, anyways, because your mind is preoccupied with build/mine/defend/repair/etc. (the only thing that ever seems to remind me that there's a story is the scripted events), whereas in RPG games the story is constantly present, and in most(not all) first person shooters the story unfolds in the middle of gameplay.

I really think the only reason for the maps seeming smaller was that the entire games was scaled up. An important part of the game was garrisoning buildings and whatnot, and the developers probably wanted the player to be able to see their men "inside" the buildings. As far as gameplay innovation goes, I saw things in RA2 that I haven't seen in any other strategy games, especially with the different countries to choose from. Hell, I loved the Desolator units and sniper units; I think if they could add bonuses like "Russia produces more power than the other countries" or "the U.S. has stronger aircraft carriers than the other allies" the game could have been even better.

Remember, though, that was really the first strategy game I played for a long time, so it;ll always have a place in my heart. I haven't played Tiberian Dawn or Total Annihilation yet, so I really haven't had any games to unseat the one's I loved.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2005, 03:05:43 am »
My favorite part of RA2 was being Libya and truck-bombing everyone. That'd NEVER make it in the game after 9/11.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2005, 04:28:18 am »
I really think the only reason for the maps seeming smaller was that the entire games was scaled up.
The reason was two-fold.

The game engine is utterly incappable of handling a large map. It slows to a crawl and/or crashes even on the small maps if everyone playing builds enough crap which isn't really all that much stuff.

Second being that they wanted to develop a game that was fast paced. I feel this one was a cover for the fact the game engine sucked and they weren't interested in developing a better one as maps don't have to be small for a game to be fast paced.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 05:39:21 am »
My favorite part of RA2 was being Libya and truck-bombing everyone. That'd NEVER make it in the game after 9/11.

The original version of the game's cover (pre-9/11) had the soviet soldier's face with a reflection of the Twin Towers being blown up in his eyepiece.  :P I still have it.

Is the engine really that bad, though? The only time it ever lagged for me was when there were thousands of mini-harriers from aircraft carriers on the screen.

Smeagol

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2005, 06:36:57 pm »
My favourite part of RA 2 has to be the Soviet mission where you have to take control of the WTC.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2005, 11:34:51 am »
Is the engine really that bad, though? The only time it ever lagged for me was when there were thousands of mini-harriers from aircraft carriers on the screen.
Yeah, that is why I quit mapping/modding for it. Making small maps was no fun, making large maps would cause the game to crap out. The only upside to the engine was the new ambient sounds you could add to areas, but when the game engine starts to chug the sound goes poof anyway.

Offline Cthulus Pet

• Is it alive?
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2005, 07:02:30 am »
wow... im so happy...i was thinkin this place kicked ass and now you guyz talkin about ta liek tat mmm....
you make me happy... ta is the best thin ever
recently ive been exploring some giggle full strats...heheh i loves