Author Topic: hey hey Anklet, and possibly Rehevkor + Torp  (Read 15897 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
hey hey Anklet, and possibly Rehevkor + Torp
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:48:50 pm »
http://pc.ign.com/articles/672/672410p1.html

and anybody else who was looking forward to it and I forgot
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: hey hey Anklet, and possibly Rehevkor + Torp
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:01:56 am »
Thanks, man!

That's one of the three games I'm really looking forward to*, and the news are good!nder

*the other two are the PC version of Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth (I have an Xbox, but I jus can't play FPS's without mouse and keyboard) and Supreme Commander (the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation)
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:08:43 am »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to Supreme Commander as well. Like, a lot.

And Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and Gothic 3, and Call of Cthulhu, and Hellgate: London, and...

:P
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:11:48 am »
Supreme Commander could be interesting. I just really hope they don't go down the path of the Warcraft games, where there was pretty much no economy because you ran out too early.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 12:16:24 am »
As far as I've understood it, they've stated that they won't have exhaustable resources. Once you have secured a resource site, it will give you resources until you lose control of it. The creator behind TA is in control, and I have all confidence in him.

I still hope my confidence is not misplaced, because I haven't been as excited about a game in years. If it's anything like what I expect, it will rekindle my sputtering gamist flame. My eyes literally went wet when I, through the TA page on wikipedia, found the Wikipedia Supreme Commander page, and started reading. I was so happy and excited at the thought of a "new TA", I almost cried.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 12:26:56 am »
As far as I've understood it, they've stated that they won't have exhaustable resources. Once you have secured a resource site, it will give you resources until you lose control of it.

Now I'm happy. This is bringing back memories already. Hopefully the shroud will be less of a bitch in SC.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 12:39:10 am »
You know, I know how to make you happy...

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 04:27:47 am »
^^
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 09:48:25 am »
You know, I know how to make you happy...

O_O

chompy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 01:43:41 am »
Please dont remind me until like 1 month from its release. I dislike hearing about games until they are released. ala elder scrolls.... and xbox thingy

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 01:47:25 am »
MORROWIND 4 WO0o0o0to.

there you go.

and yeah FPS'ses on console suck ass.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 07:05:17 am »
WAIT, people actually want to play Supreme Commander...?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 11:43:21 am »
Total Annihilation just owned the competition, and is easily one of, if not, the best RTS games ever made. SC is pretty much the next in line. If it's half as good as TA was, we have another game as good as Warcraft III.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 04:42:43 pm »
If it's half as good as TA, it's at least twice as good as WC3. TA still owns most other strategy games by a factor of at least four. Exceptions might be Total War and Ground Control (the original and fairly obscure GC, not G2, which was a huge disappointment), though both are a long reach away from TA.

TA is the best RTS ever made. Unlike almost all instances of competition, there's actual strategy and tactics involved. In most other games, it's just a matter of building more of the most powerful units than the opponent. In TA, doing that will lose you the game, because every unit has a weakness. Heavy tanks are slow and have little antiair defense, so a few bomber runs from the enemy's tactical bombers will annihiliate them, unless they're supported. And small, fast units can run circles around them, doing more damage per resource unit than the tanks, or simply create a forest of wrecks, slowing the tanks down even more. Then, long range artillery (can you say Bertha? Or eve better, Vulcan/Buzzsaw?) will have a field day.

Smeagol

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 06:21:28 pm »
Whenever I play over the LAN, we turn off nuke launchers and long range plasma guns. They are too powerful, and are generally swamped with Flakkers/Defenders, making them nigh unapproachable - except by nukes. The only maps that we don't them plasma guns off on are Seven Islands and Over Crude Water, due to them not reaching the enemy base.

Still, some damn fun games have been had over the LAN with TA even with nukes. The competition I won was great fun ("Hey, I bet I can get past your 4 anti nuke defences" "How many nuke launchers do you have?" "Lemme count, *counts* 12. Wheee!"