Author Topic: Your all-time top ten games  (Read 25123 times)

MDX

Re: Your all-time top ten games
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 10:46:31 am »
Btw, the magic surround advent children was enough to make it ultra amazing. You're not a true fan if you don't like the movie =P.

Nah really, you're not.

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 11:54:57 am »
I liked it, I just found the animation to be slightly lacking and the story was.... well, disappointing I suppose. Unfortuatly, I don't think Square could have made anything to live up to that much hype. But Vincent was fucking awesome!

chompy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 01:54:25 am »
Really good games in no order and deserve a mention
Sam 'n' Max
Monkey Island 2
Fallout 2
Quake 2
Interstate 76
Half Life
Morrowind
AOE2
Jagged Allience 2
Red Alert / Command and conquer
GTA 2
Hostile Waters * best cheapest game I've got (10 bucks, for solid gameplay)
IL2 +FB +Ace
System Shock 2
Master of Orrion 2

Oh yea Need for speed 3 rocked hard, loved the music in it. Porsche aka 5 aka 2000 was the epitome of all NFS games .
Sim City 2k - also rocked hard, loved the music in it too
Stunts

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 01:58:58 am »
My list :

Morrowind
Half Life + Counter Strike
Half Life 2  + Source
Terranigma (SNES) (now this is a fucking brilliant game)
Zelda - A Link To the Past
Dungeon Siege
Max Payne (bullet time , woohoo !)
Halo
Halo 2 ( both halo games totally played to bits)
Goldeneye
Bomberman (SNES)  <-- Come on, this is one of the greatest games ever !
Super Metriod (SNES)
Star Wing (SNES)
Perfect Dark (N64)
Zelda - Ocarina Of Time ( i didn't like Majora's Mask because everything was so .. weird , i dno.
GTA list all games.

Biggest fuckups all time :

Fable (free world my ass)
Banjo Tooie
Commandos 2
True Crime : LA
Point Blank (SNES)
OddWorld : Munch's oddesee

MDX

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 02:45:51 am »

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 02:30:13 pm »
I liked it, I just found the animation to be slightly lacking and the story was.... well, disappointing I suppose. Unfortuatly, I don't think Square could have made anything to live up to that much hype. But Vincent was fucking awesome!

The animation was amazing, the design was amazing and, as i said in the advent children thread, the choreography was awesome. The only thing lacking was the story, but despite that it has to be one of my top 5 films.

Lexx

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 05:18:11 pm »
I dunno, compared to something like Spitits Within I found the animation lacking.. a bit.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 05:53:55 pm »
this is one of the hardest questions ever lets see... (in no order since this is hard enough as it is) As a student of English and Film and an amateur novelist/playwright/screen-writer a good story and especially good story-telling can really improve my enjoyment of a game, so don't flame me for loving half life 2!

Half Life 2 - I loved the storytelling and the gameplay so much in this game it hurts.

Resident Evil 4 - reasonable story, fantastic atmosphere, consistently good gameplay.

Dawn of War/Dawn of War: Winter Assault - I'm a huge 40k nerd but this game is just fun as all hell. Haven't had such nerve-wrecking games in an RTS since total annihilation.

Chaos Engine - CHAOS ENGINE!!!!!! that is all.

Speed Ball 2 - SPEED BALL!!!!!!! that is all.

Super Smash Bros Melee - best game to play when drinking ever

Freedom Force - Just such an original RPG, and fun too. I loved the tone of homage/parody.

Wipeout 2097 - God did I ever love this game.

Worms - Ive loved pretty much every worms game until it went 3d.

Super Mario 3 - The only mario i've completed I think.

Honourable mentions:

Red alert - many good multiplayer memories there

Total Annihilation - see above

Quake - I was too young to be playign quake when I was, but I still really enjoyed it

The Sims - man, I just like the sims.

Smeagol

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 06:25:24 pm »
Dawn of War/Dawn of War: Winter Assault - I'm a huge 40k nerd but this game is just fun as all hell. Haven't had such nerve-wrecking games in an RTS since total annihilation.

Chaos Engine - CHAOS ENGINE!!!!!! that is all.

Speed Ball 2 - SPEED BALL!!!!!!! that is all.

Chaos Engine and Speed Ball II did indeed own, even if I probably was far too young to be playing them when I did (the fact I won Chaos Engine when I was six is worrying), they were both great games.

Dawn of War: A farily solid RTS, I didn't try multiplayer, but the Space Marines seem too powerful IMO, due to their flexibility. Heavy bolters for 2, rockets for 2, oh, an all purpose Space Marine squad!
As for WA, what the hell is the point of the Imperial Guardsmen? I have yet to find a use for them. Even damned cultists are better meatshields, still they get plus points for awesome vehicles.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 06:31:13 pm »
Sonic (in my opinion, it's 10x better than Mario.)
Resident Evil 4 (perfection)
Quake 3 (perfect deathmatch, stunning engine, absolutely brilliant on LAN)
Half Life (amazing sp, awesome for mods)
Mario Kart 64 (second best mp game ever)
Mario Kart DS (best mp game ever)
Halo (just... stunnig, well worth the wait, and definitely a reason to buy an xbox)
Halo 2 (dissapointing single player, but absolutely awesome mp)
Worms World Party (best done Worms game, and the amount of time i've spent playing it with mates is unparalleled)
Red Alert 2 (imo, the perfect strategy game. ridiculously easy to get into, and mp is a dream)

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 07:29:00 pm »
1. Star Control II - Best game ever. Two steps ahead of any other game of any other time. An excellent space action/adventure game. It's challenging, funny, engaging and Super-Melee mode is enough to warrant a good game in itself.

2. DOOM - The holy mother of 3D shooters. Excellent ambience, level design and pure adrenaline action. Was the first game ever to really warrant the use of modem for multiplayer.

3. Civilisation - I'm a turned base strategy game whore. This game had all of the right elements. Interesting technology tree and applications. Just great.

4. Jagged Alliance - And I also love tactical squad combat games. At the time I was into game creation, this was the most influential game I had played. The game mechanics were simply, the flow of the game was fun, the missions were challenging but not unfair and the mercenary personalities tipped it in favor of X-Com. Ivan forever.

5. NHL 95 - I'm a hockey lover. And this was my first hockey game. The controls were nice, and the gameplay outstanding. However, the game suffered from being the easiest piece of software ever put in my hands... as a result, I'm loving NHL 2K6 right now.

6. Warlords II - I must have played this turned base strategy game for over 1000 hours of gameplay. Simple strategical fun... the campaign editor added value, and Warlords III was bad and Warlords IV a step towards the Stone Age.

7. Suikoden - The game that got me into RPGs. Also, as I still thought about game creation then, it was a the second biggest influence on my game creation ideas. Somehow you could imagine that my game was a Tactical Strategy RPG where you could recruit up to 108 characters and where those characters could actually die for good!

8. Soul Calibur II - Best. Fighting Game. Ever.

9. Spy vs Spy - Although you could play the game in a broken fashion that made it extremely boring, it was my first truely pleasant multiplayer experience. So much fun to outwit the other Spy.

Tied for 10.. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo - Tetris Attack - Bombastic : Because they are the three best puzzle games ever made. And I love puzzle games.
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2005, 08:01:57 pm »
Sonic (in my opinion, it's 10x better than Mario.)

Agreed. Sonic is cooler than Mario. Jazz Jackrabbit is cooler than Mario. But Mario is still a more important game, influentialwise.

I've never really liked the Mario games, but I can remember a whole lot of hours having fun with Sonic.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Smeagol

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2005, 08:04:32 pm »
I prefer the Sonic games due to their speed in comparison with Mario.

Well, that and the fact that Mario is a greasy little Italian.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2005, 10:03:58 pm »

Dawn of War: A farily solid RTS, I didn't try multiplayer, but the Space Marines seem too powerful IMO, due to their flexibility. Heavy bolters for 2, rockets for 2, oh, an all purpose Space Marine squad!
As for WA, what the hell is the point of the Imperial Guardsmen? I have yet to find a use for them. Even damned cultists are better meatshields, still they get plus points for awesome vehicles.

If you've never taken it online I'd say you missing out on about 60% of the fun. I could talk about this at length, but I'll try to address your comments briefly:

Space marine tactical squads with 2 heavy bolters and 2 rocket launchers are wide open to attack by strong close combat Heavy infantry (hvy bolters are weak against heavy infantry) like howling banshees, berzerkers, nobz, ogryns, assault marines, raptors, seers... For a tac squad to be truly useful against an enemy type (infantry, heavy infantry, vehicles) it really needs to use all 4 weapons upgrades on a single weapon (eg to be effective against vehicles you need 4 missile launchers) so you sacrifice a great deal of the versatility.

As for imperial guard, I find them quite difficult to play. Stats wise, guardsmen are actually better than cultists but not by much and it takes too long to get better troop types. I think it should be possible to get karskin troops earlier in the game and for there also to be a some sort of anti-tank infantry unit (like a 2 man weapon team, as in the board game.) In multiplayer, guard are wide open to rushing unless you spend all your resources on troops, thus limiting the speed at which you can advance your tech.

Ok i'll shut up.

Smeagol

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2005, 10:34:48 pm »
If you've never taken it online I'd say you missing out on about 60% of the fun. I could talk about this at length, but I'll try to address your comments briefly:

Space marine tactical squads with 2 heavy bolters and 2 rocket launchers are wide open to attack by strong close combat Heavy infantry (hvy bolters are weak against heavy infantry) like howling banshees, berzerkers, nobz, ogryns, assault marines, raptors, seers... For a tac squad to be truly useful against an enemy type (infantry, heavy infantry, vehicles) it really needs to use all 4 weapons upgrades on a single weapon (eg to be effective against vehicles you need 4 missile launchers) so you sacrifice a great deal of the versatility.

As for imperial guard, I find them quite difficult to play. Stats wise, guardsmen are actually better than cultists but not by much and it takes too long to get better troop types. I think it should be possible to get karskin troops earlier in the game and for there also to be a some sort of anti-tank infantry unit (like a 2 man weapon team, as in the board game.) In multiplayer, guard are wide open to rushing unless you spend all your resources on troops, thus limiting the speed at which you can advance your tech.

Not once during SP did any heavy infantry get anywhere near enough take on my Tac squads. Heavy Bolters sure as hell don't seem weak against heavy inf. As for vehicles, yeah, complete agreement. But especially Squiggoths. Those things are immense. Just how the hell can you take down two of them?

As for not playing it online, well, negative experiences with WarCraft III on B.Net really persuaded me that single player was the way to go for RTS games, as the WC3 community was full of bastards, the majority of whom were also atrocious at the game. I do suspect I'm missing out on a lot however.