Author Topic: Your all-time top ten games  (Read 25143 times)

Lexx

Your all-time top ten games
« on: November 30, 2005, 05:16:45 am »
Okay, seems a lot people disagree with the top ten from gamerankings, so how do you think it should be?

01 - Riven [Myst 2] (imo best adventure game ever, and fucking amazing music)
02 - Discworld MUD
03 - Fallout 2
04 - Half-Life
05 - Quake
06 - Morrowind
07 - Myst (First PC game I really got into, game that got me into game music)
08 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
09 - System Shock 2
10 - Total Annihilation

Not 100% accurate, probably not in the right order..

Honorable mention:
Quake II
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Deus Ex
Golden Eye
Metroid Prime 2
Mario Kart (SNES)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:46:54 am by [Rehevkor] »

phattmann

Re: Your all-time top ten games
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 05:46:01 am »
I agree with most of those, although I'd take out Quake (never played it), and stick in Final Fantasy VII

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 06:03:59 am »
The only one I can definitely place at #1 is System Shock 2.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:40:13 am »
1) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
2) Total Annihilation
3) Age of Empires III
4) Freeciv
5) Fallout II
6) Sanitarium
7) Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
8) Super Smash Bros. Melee
9) Metal Gear Solid
10) Halflife

Hmmm, heavily biased towards PC games.

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 11:55:17 am »
omg i could make a list of atleast 100 top games >_<

Offline Spunky

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:04:20 pm »
Tought one. in no order mine are

Half-Life 1(+addons and mods)
World of Warcraft
Total Annihilation
Command and Conquor - Red Alert 2
Battlefield 1942
Pokemon Yellow
Sonic 2+3
Skies of Arcadia
Crimson Skies
FF7

Thats all i can think of
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:05:11 pm »
I can't do it. Too hard. Let it be know, though, that World of Warcraft is number one, while various SimCity's, Civilization II, Discworld (point&click), and many Sonic's all feature in there

MDX

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:00:23 pm »
1. Counter-Strike/Counter-Strike: Source
2. Final Fantasy 7/8
3. Super Smash Brothers
4. Megaman X
5. Quake III/Defrag (q3 alone was awesome, but the defrag mod turned me into a hardcore crazy head player thing.. good times)
6. Unreal Tournament/UT2004 (first was great, 2003 and 04 were superb aswell, but classics like that never die, much)
7. World of Warcraft (just from what i play of it at my friends, i love it, my characters on Neptulon, lvl 16 hunter called Anrochra, love me)
8. Total Annhilation
9. Burnout 3 (the magic quickly dwindled by 4 alas, but 4 was awesome)
10. System Shock 2 (lots of fun co-op)

Honourable Mentions:

* Fable, coulda been alot better but the new experience i had from just playing through the storyline a few times, was fun enough for me =) Then World of Warcraft came so yay... eventually.
* Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, that was just awesome, cellshading mixed with link power, fearsome.
* Quake II, yeah it was fucking awesome, tbh i don't know how to fully properly put everything in order so it'll stay here until i am sure, i loved it nonetheless.

Im sure there's more, but yeow.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 09:42:43 pm »
Now, this runs contrary to my reply to the other thread, which tried to find the greatest games ever based on fairly objective criteria, and as such the list will be quite different. Games that I don't think deserves a mention in an objective look at the greatest games gets mentioned, and games that surely do deserve a mention won't.

I can't seem to find a particular order to them, so here they are in no particular order:

Top Ten
Half-Life (with CS) (best multiplayer FPS)
Total Annihilation (best RTS)
Deus Ex (best singler-player FPS)
Syndicate
Fallout 2 (best RPG)
Captain Comic (the game of my youth - it's not that it's that good, it's that I've got so many good memories)
Command&Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (solid RTS with good story - I remember endless hours playing this game)
Rocket Jockey (best sports game - only ever had the demo, but that was played excessively. Very fun)
Duke Nukem 3D (most excessively played FPS - and also a great game for coop with my dad)
Grand Theft Auto (the original GTA is still the best one by far. It's just so much fun)

Honourable Mentions
C&C: Red Alert (the original Red Alert was really cool, though not as good as Tiberian Dawn)
Descent (completely confusing, but really fun)
Doom (Me and my father had so much fun with the Doom series - multiplayer coop)
Total War-series (great tactics-game)
Epic40k: Final Liberation
Warhammer: Dark Omen
X-Wing
Day of the Tentacle (it was even funnier than Monkey Island - and Monkey Island was funny)

The two last games in the Top Ten are dubious entries, that could easily be replaced with some of the honourable mentions. It was especially difficult choosing between Doom and Duke Nukem, as I'm a bit hazy about which game we played the most in the actual gaming episodes with my dad. Also, there is one game that deserves to be on the list, possibly even in the top ten, but which slipped my mind and just didn't want to tell me what it was.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:27:22 pm by Torp »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 09:55:22 pm »
X-Wing was one of those games, where if you didn't have a good joystick, you were fucked. It probably would have placed on my top ten if I didn't break so goddamn many joysticks by thrashign them around so much :P Syndicate...ah, I knew I was forgetting something. There's nothing more fun than blasting the hell out of 20+ enemy agents with miniguns. Urals level anyone?

MDX

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 10:36:10 pm »
Duke Nukem : Time to Kill

Introduced me to Static X, and 3rd person shoot em ups with sex in them.

Lexx

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 11:13:21 pm »
Gah, I can't believe for forgot this one.. Freespace 2!

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 11:18:28 pm »
This is only a rough order:

1. Ico. Its so emotionally involving its scary. Everytime I nearly lost Yorda, I'd pull the plug on my PS2 instead of watch her die.
2. Grandia II. My fave RPG; one of the best battle systems IMHO.
3. Bubble Bobble. I loved this game so much as a kid and I still enjoy it now. This one will stand the test of time.
4. Gitaroo Man. OMFG I'm getting the CD of this tomorrow. Best rythrm action game ever; hard as nails tho.
5. FF7. Yeah I'm a FF fangirl, whatever. Not 100% fond of Advent Children though.
6. Zelda: Majora's Mask. OoT is uber-awesome, but MM just had so much more atmosphere.
7. Shadow Hearts. Another RPG but this one is really creepy in places. Koudelka's good too but I  think its aged.
8. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. My best bargain ever (£10, mint). It well deserves its high Ebay price tag. Think Super Metroid but with vampires.
9. Creatures II. I didn't play much of this game as a kid but the idea of it and gameplay is top-notch. A C64 classic that a lot of people forget.
10. Boktai. The one with the sunlight sensor, gets you outside but you end up holding your GBA at some weird angles.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 11:22:30 pm »
X-Wing was one of those games, where if you didn't have a good joystick, you were fucked. It probably would have placed on my top ten if I didn't break so goddamn many joysticks by thrashign them around so much :P Syndicate...ah, I knew I was forgetting something. There's nothing more fun than blasting the hell out of 20+ enemy agents with miniguns. Urals level anyone?

Nah. Played it perfectly well with mouse and keyboard. But yes, it was even better with joystick. One of the really fun things were the possibility to easily design your own missions. We made a whole lot of cool missions for the game.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 04:42:33 am »
No particular order:
C&C Tiberian Dawn
C&C Red Alert
The Need For Speed
NFS3: Hot Pursuit
NFS4: High Stakes
Perfect Dark
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
No One Lives Forever
No One Lives Forever 2
SSX
SSX3
SSX4
Sim City 2k
Sim City 3k
Sim City 4
Max Payne
Total Annihilation
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid
Half Life
Star Trek Elite Force

Wish there was some space sims to add, but I've never played any that seemed truely great. I really want to enjoy them, I love the genre, but so far most of the games have just seemed ok at best to me. Might have forgot something on this list.  TD+RA have by far stolen the longest amount of time from me, I've been obsessive about them since they came out and still play frequently. Nothing has ever really compared to them for me.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester