Author Topic: Brain Food  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
Brain Food
« on: November 25, 2005, 03:58:44 pm »
No this isn't about actual food, but brain food! I figured we should have a Reading Now thread, since I need some recs and I get discount at Waterstones. Just finished reading Spiral by Koji Suzuki. It's the sequel book to Ring and its actually pretty good. Kinda far out ending but the science-y bit is awesome. Got the first Warcraft novel as well but I'm not that far through it yet.

So come on, tell us what you're reading!

Smeagol

Re: Brain Food
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 04:30:20 pm »
I just finished the first three books of the Chronicles of Narnia (The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; and The Horse and His Boy) last night (Yes, I suck. I hadn't read any of them before). Currently reading: Nothing as of yet, I'm currently trying to find the remaining four CoN books.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 04:49:07 pm »
Just been reading Going Postal by Terry Pratchett, hopefully I'll be getting my hands on Thud! soon.

But the main book of the moment, or triliogy really, is Mark Chadbourn's Age of Misrule trilogy. I borrowed the first book, World's End, off Spunky's gf. Loved it and lent it to my mum. Mum loved it, so I just bought her the trilogy for her birthday. It's about the Celtic gods coming back to reclaim Britain, science crumbling before magic, and the actions of flawed heroes. The other two books are Darkest Hour and Always Forever, and I think he's in the middle of a trilogy that follows this one.

Lexx

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 05:46:37 pm »
Just been reading Anansi Boys By Neil Gaiman, good book, but not as good as America Gods.

Also read Thud by Terry Pratchett, which goes without saying that it rocks.

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:52:39 pm »
I don't really get the fasination with Terry Pratchett. I've only read the first two but I just thought he was trying too hard. Are the later books any better? But it could just be my weird sense of humour.

Lexx

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 06:04:01 pm »
The first 2 are pretty different to his later books, try something like Mort, Night Watch or Thief Of Time.

Although he seems to change his style depending on who he's writing for, I prefer the watch books myself, you might want to give the witch books a shot. In which case I'd try Masquerade.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:06:30 pm by [Rehevkor] »

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 07:40:45 pm »
Well, I was reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, but I finished it.

Now I need stuff to read as well :P
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 08:04:20 pm »
My last book was "The Analyst" by John Katzenbach. Can't recommend it, standard US thriller, nothing special.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 08:46:14 pm »
I too recommend the city watch books by Pratchett, their my favorite by far.

I've been reading a lot of comics recently, so I'll recommend a few:

Superman: Red Son, is a retelling of Superman and a few other DC characters based on the idea that Superman crashlanded in the soviet union and became a communist. It. Is. Awesome.

Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits is also great, very moody and very emotional. The storyline got ripped to shreds and stuck into the Constantine movie but the comic has a completely different feel and is, in my opinion, way better.

Fortune and Glory is the true story of Brian Bendis' (a comic writer/artist) trials and tibulations in hollywood. Its really original and really cool and also quite funny.

In terms of actual book books, I just read Fiesta: The sun also rises by Ernest Hemingway, to which I say... meh.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 10:04:51 am »
Just recently binged on reading:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Restaurant End of the Universe
Life, the Universe, and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Mostly Harmless
Full Metal Panic! The End of Day by Day   
Full Metal Panic! A Dancing Very Merry Christmas
Full Metal Panic! Continuing On My Own
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline daYak

• 90% herbivore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 10:39:35 am »
What im reading right now . . .  "Concise history of Western Music" . . . for music history class.

I find it very interesting too. Learned lots of how ancient music was made. Hell, now i know how to read 9th century manuscript music paper. -proud-  ;)

Offline dialupdaemon

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 10:00:17 pm »
I just finished the first three books of the Chronicles of Narnia (The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; and The Horse and His Boy) last night (Yes, I suck. I hadn't read any of them before). Currently reading: Nothing as of yet, I'm currently trying to find the remaining four CoN books.

The Horse and his Boy is by far the worst book in the chronicles of Narina.
Silver Chair FTW.
What meaning has my life that the inevitability of death cannot destroy it?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 10:09:44 pm »
i read a donald duck.

Smeagol

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 10:18:59 pm »
That doesn't suprise me. Looks like our little Radicz0r found his level!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 10:12:43 am »
Reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories by a woman named Oates. I wish I had found his stuff earlier. =/

Reading "Hiroshima" by John Hersey, on and off... not the most interesting little book.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.