Author Topic: Speed Building - How do I do this the right way?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline finaleclipse06

• Why can't the plural of 'moose' be 'mooses'????
Speed Building - How do I do this the right way?
« on: November 16, 2005, 06:37:17 am »
I was wondering if anybody knows of a good method to build speed (for soloing).  I've heard of good practice habits and bad, good being not arching the wrist, and playing each note so that you can hear it clearly, and making sure you stay relaxed, and bad being the opposite of those, and other good habits I have forgotten to mention, basically.

I can get to a certain speed, but then I find that I can't go any faster.  This has happened time and again.  I know there is a reason for this, but I don't know what it is.  Has anybody else encountered this obstacle?  If so, please share what you did to overcome it.  If not, but you know of a way to overcome it, share that as well!  Much thanks!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Speed Building - How do I do this the right way?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 01:29:09 am »
Uhm, yeah i want to become faster as well, the thing i usually practice are arpeggios..

hmm..

ah, well, here is an example :

|-------------------------------------------------5--7--8--|
  |---------------------------------------5--6--8------------|
  |--------------------------------5--7-----------------------|
  |----------------------5--7--9-----------------------------|
  |------------5--7--8---------------------------------------|
  |--5--7--8-------------------------------------------------|

If you did it well, it will sound like this : http://www.geocities.com/trollstjerne/Aminor.mid

Also check out this site

http://www.geocities.com/trollstjerne/arpeggios.html

Offline finaleclipse06

• Why can't the plural of 'moose' be 'mooses'????
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 04:26:01 am »
It looks like a really good page! Thanks!  :)

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 08:36:56 am »
That's a scale, not an arpeggio. An arpeggio is a series of notes in a chord played individually, such as if you played F# A C# E F# in sequence you'd have played an arpeggiated F#min7 (F# minor minor 7th if you want to be one of those assholes that has to get technical about everything and specify the quality of the triad AND the seventh).

This isn't necessarily for speed building, but it hurts your fingers like hell, so it must be good to practice with. Create patters on the fretboard like this and try to pick up the speed on it. After doing that for 1-3 hours, practice your blues scales. That's the key to good soloing. Everything rock (as a generality, so don't jump up my ass about it) is based off of blues and jazz riffs. Don't JUST practice speed though, get accuracy too, otherwise you'll just be able to play like shit at a fast tempo.

|----------------------------------------------------------|
  |------------7---6-----------------------------------------|
  |---5---8--------------------------------------------------|

By the way, your tabs will be evenly spaced automatically if you use the teletype tag (tt) and (/tt) in square brackets. It's the little typewriter icon.
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

MDX

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 07:56:35 pm »
BURNNNN!!

Offline Boaz

• Its good to be home with friends!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 01:54:12 am »
that was a nice burn, but to the point, when i tried to speed up playing i found it relatively easy except for my pinky, whioch was incredibly weak, if you have the same problem to alot of pinky exercises in order to allow you to use your pinky for hammers and pull offs.

|--------------------------------------------------------------|
  |------------------------------------1--4---1--5------------|
  |-------------------1--4----1--5----------------------------|
  |-1--4---1---5----------------------------------------------|

and so on, keep your pointer finger barred, and then hammer and pull off each note while switching the hammered note. its better to do it on the lower frets because they are farther apart, also i found the 4-6 strings to build strength whiel the 1-3 strings build dex/speed. wow i feel like im talkign about an rpg game, sorry for the typos, im to lazy to fix them
The basic instincts of all guys in the wild:
1) Get big sticks
2) SMASH THE SHISTA OUT OF THINGS
3) Make fire
4) Burninate

Offline potatismos

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 07:23:55 pm »
simple!  pick a riff, lick or song, start by playing it slow, and when its going smooth you speed up, keep up with the speed, speed up, keep up, speed up, keep up til' it cant go any faster.     I strogly recommend playing along with a metronome or drummachine.

frist song i played this way was hero, I used to play that song all day and when i fucked up i slowed down, banged the riff/song into my head, played faster until i reached a speed of 300 bpm.

just rock man! ;)

Offline Xeero

• Awesome!
    • The Exclaimers?
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 11:56:52 am »
"(F# minor minor 7th if you want to be one of those assholes that has to get technical about everything and specify the quality of the triad AND the seventh)."

You gotta specify the quality of both, else you'd be getting F#mM7 (F# A C# E# (Enharmonically an F) or F#7 (F# A C# E)...  Maybe there'll be a rare occasion you meet somebody who thinks something's diminished...  But I won't go there.  You get the idea.

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 12:09:23 pm »
"(F# minor minor 7th if you want to be one of those assholes that has to get technical about everything and specify the quality of the triad AND the seventh)."

You gotta specify the quality of both, else you'd be getting F#mM7 (F# A C# E# (Enharmonically an F) or F#7 (F# A C# E)...  Maybe there'll be a rare occasion you meet somebody who thinks something's diminished...  But I won't go there.  You get the idea.

Ehhhh..... implied if you're assuming F# minor is the key signature. =P
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

MDX

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 06:32:06 pm »
lol

(dances around his music degree)