Author Topic: Thinking of buying a drumset  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Windy

• Procrastination gets a whole new meaning
Thinking of buying a drumset
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:29:26 pm »
Oi, I've been considering this for a while now. I've been given the oppertunity to practice a little bit in school and rehearsal locals, but I think that I'll have to get my own set in order to reach that overgodly level of drumming.

I don't know much theory, really. Heck, I can't even name the drums. I know how to hold the drumsticks and how to keep a beat. And so far, this has been enough for various musical projects and such, but...yeah. I've heard there are "normal" drumsets and "digital" ones. What would the difference between them be, and which one should one go for?

Blah, lemme summarise;
1. Should I even get my own set, or should I stick with those I can access for half an hour once a week?
2. Should I get a whole set at once, or by each drum seperately? Which would be cheapest/most efficient?
3. Normal or Digital?
4. What would I need in order to reasonably record what I play?
5. What else should I keep in mind?

Yay, what a nice way to formulate all my questions. Anyhow, thanks on beforehand.

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
Re: Thinking of buying a drumset
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 06:26:00 am »
Acoustic, and you'll need a mixer + a lot of mics/mic stands.
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline doomyGIRdoom

• Carpe Vinas~Seize the Beer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 05:22:03 am »
if you know your going to be a drummer you should look into getting am economic set half an hour a week i think wont do a lot at giving you sufficient time.

as for the set itself-go acoustic as its much cheaper. unless you live in a place where you cant really insulate or have people around that mind the noise.  get a whole set (drums and hardware) and also a basic set of cymbals (such as zildjian's ZBT series) buying everything separtly will be a hassle unless you know what you want and need.

considering it sounds like ur just starting-dont worry about recording equipment. later on you can worry about that.
Playing God is like playing house.......only more interesting.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 05:28:44 am »
i would buy a electronic one, seeing you like masu :)

Offline lindarthebard

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 06:33:28 am »

....except that Tomas doesn't play an electronic drum kit, and I'm pretty sure the last time ANY band played one was in 1984.
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 04:22:03 pm »

....except that Tomas doesn't play an electronic drum kit, and I'm pretty sure the last time ANY band played one was in 1984.
NANDA ?!

Thomas no elec drum ?!

Offline lindarthebard

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 08:39:06 am »

NANDA ?!

Thomas no elec drum ?!

No. Nobody plays them anymore because you can only get a single tone out of them. The better ones you can get volume control, but no tone control. Acoustic > Electric when it comes to drums.