Author Topic: We don't need no REvoulution? (maybe?)  (Read 27186 times)

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
We don't need no REvoulution? (maybe?)
« on: November 07, 2005, 09:38:28 pm »
Here's the problem that I see with the Nintendo REvolution.

It's going to depend on the games that come out for it.  The new control scheme is intriguing, but the problem is that it's radically different.

Can you see third party stuidos spending the time and money to make REvolution exclusive games when the cost of games is spiraling ever upwards as it is?  Or will they just pass and make xbox/playstation versions instead?  Or worse yet, add crappy quick sloppy Revolution controls to preexisting games?

At best I see a lot of Nintendo generated games exclusive to the Revolution.  And that's ok, I guess.  But I'd like to see more content for all three systems.

Dont' get me wrong, I like the idea, quite a bit.  I went from "Oh andother game cube like console that I'll never buy"  to "That looks frikking sweet."

But I'm not buying one (even if I could afford it) On launch day for just these reasons.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re: We don't need no REvoulution? (maybe?)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 09:45:57 pm »
remember that it will be a LOT different to the ps3 and xbox360 AND it will be a lot cheaper. nintendo have realised that they cant compete with ms and sony, so they've created a product that a lot of people will purchase alongside one of the other two. i know i will.

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:50:51 pm »
Well, the Gamecube ended up as a mostly second console for people, except for me, where it actually took over from the PS2 up to the point I dropped it (it has since been replaced, thanks to Argos), so I think the Rev is already treading a well worn line.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:09:17 am »
difference being... the cube isnt THAT different to the ps2/xbox. the revolution actually offers a completely different style of gaming.

Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 12:17:14 am »
The one great thing about the Revoultion is the nunchuck style controller system that is possible to create. So, in therory, I could fulfill Fighter's greatest wish, and use sword-chucks. This would be great for playing something like SSBM, and just shouting out SWORD CHUCKS YO! in the middle of a match.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 02:38:00 am »
lets not kid ourselves here.

Nintendo make *the* bet first party games on the planet. Even If i dont buy one single game that isn't made by nintendo I'm sure that the revolution will still be more than worth the cash.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 03:41:54 am »
Well, once i was a nintendo fan, i still like mario and all the shit, but just too many fucking games have been made with mario, for instance.

Mario golf, mario kart(up to 50 games) mario tennis, mario basketball mario this mario that, and then comes Metriod, i mean thats the same thing over again..

Then they start coming up with classic's and shit like Resident Evil, just so the console doenst get to kiddy.

Kiddy ?! No wonder people call nintendo kiddy because they keep releasing happy stuff over and over and over again.

Well, ok, Metriod ain't happy. But Mario is.

And when you are finally done with that, you get ZELDA.

Ok nothing against zelda, because it fucking rocks.

But i do start to think that zelda is going on too long.. but i won't mind seeing another zelda game. or another five zelda games. :)

If you look at this list, its the most populair gamecube games :

Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo)
cijfer 9,2 - 6 reviews

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo)
cijfer 9,1 - 5 reviews
 Metroid Prime (Nintendo)
cijfer 10 - 6 reviews

Mario Kart Double Dash (Nintendo)
cijfer 9,1 - 10 reviews

Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
cijfer 9,8 - 5 reviews

I mean, do you see what im talking about here ?

So i am not going for the Revolution, because i will think that they just turn on "The Nintendo Mindless Game Sequel Machine".

I bought a xbox, when the gamecube and stuff came out, just because it was new, and i liked the whole thing.

Now im not saying that Nintendo is the only one with super sequel laming, Sony does it aswell, but definitly not as much as nintendo.

I like the whole "new controller idea" though, you can now game with a beer in the other hand ^^ !
But after all, its new, and its TOO new, not xbox new :).
I like the controllers the way they are, and not some weird remote control with just 3 buttons !
By the way, i know probably a friend of mine is going to buy one, so ill check it out there, haha :)

But im going for the Xbox 360, and thats just because it has Oblivion, looks sweet, and Halo ofcourse.

Back to whoring i go.. ;D

Lexx

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 05:15:28 am »
I found this rather interesting.. the top 5 games of all time on Gamerankings:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time       N64      Nintendo
2. Soul Calibur    DC    Namco
3. Super Mario 64    N64    Nintendo
4. Metroid Prime    GC    Nintendo
5. Resident Evil 4       GC      Capcom

3/5 Made my Nintendo..
1/5 On the GameCube.

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 10:13:37 am »
Nothing Nintendo has done, even Zelda, has really reached out and grabbed me by the gonads and say "Play me." 

YYMV of course.

lets not kid ourselves here.

Nintendo make *the* bet first party games on the planet. Even If i dont buy one single game that isn't made by nintendo I'm sure that the revolution will still be more than worth the cash.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 01:26:27 am »
I think it's important that they're not forcing the new controller on people, and instead offering the ability to use a 'Cube controller.

They really do need to reach out, though; as much as I love Nintendo games, once you run out that's it, you just have to move to another system. I don't want that to happen again, like it did with my cube. I want to still be playing it when the new generation of consoles come out.

And I hear that after the new Zelda game, the games are moving to a new dimension/universe/world.  ;D
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lexx

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 02:56:05 am »
And I hear that after the new Zelda game, the games are moving to a new dimension/universe/world.  ;D

Well Link, Zelda and Gannon have been reincarnated so many times I doubt even Nintendo can keep track anymore.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 04:03:31 am »
http://www.strategema.net/index.php?title=Zelda_Timeline#The_Legend_of_Zelda

apparently those people can

but it still doesn't make much sense
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lexx

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 04:14:39 am »
apparently those people can
but it still doesn't make much sense

This really made me laugh out loud.. "Except for Tingle, who transcends time and space to piss you off.". Also "Summary of the Summary: People are a problem." gotta love wikipedia. :P

And reading though, there still seems to be space for future Zelda games, like how does Ganon/Vaati get out of the Four Sword and they could continue the child ending timeline. Also, who the fuck is the Hero of Men?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 04:28:53 am by [Rehevkor] »

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 09:37:34 pm »
remember that it will be a LOT different to the ps3 and xbox360 AND it will be a lot cheaper. nintendo have realised that they cant compete with ms and sony, so they've created a product that a lot of people will purchase alongside one of the other two. i know i will.

That's right. Nintendo can't compete in the multi billion dollar whatever hardware feature fucking anymore, so they're looking for other unique selling propositions. The new control scheme is building on their core competence, which is making fun games with excellent gameplay. Sounds like a logical business move to me.

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 12:56:26 am »
Where did you read that?  I never saw that.. I saw that it'd have a "Gamecube LIKE" controler for those that felt uncomfortable iwth the new tech, but it's just a shell for the controler...

I think it's important that they're not forcing the new controller on people, and instead offering the ability to use a 'Cube controller.
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β