Author Topic: Screaming Vocals: For Anyone Who's Interested or Experienced  (Read 30372 times)

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
Re: Screaming Vocals: For Anyone Who's Interested or Experienced
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 03:12:38 pm »
all i can say is..if it hurts you are doing it wrong and that means you not only hurt yourself but also those listening :) yes i can say this cause i am experienced, we did a medley (or whatever its called) of "bards song", "everytime i die" and the HIM version of wicked game

our bass stopped working in the middle of the last song so we had to change amplifiers, so we decided to take away the microphone one, and boy did that suck :P ( last song was clean vocals...yeah i own ) so i just headbanged 2mins on stage :P

thats my story, have a nice read -.-

Bards song = blind guardian
Everytime i die = children of bodom

just incase someone didnt know :O

correct misspellings/grammar and choke on my hairy balls

Offline finaleclipse06

• Why can't the plural of 'moose' be 'mooses'????
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 06:58:05 am »
Once again, it's been a while since I've given an update on my progress lol. The Zen of Screaming has proven to be VERY VERY VERY helpful. I can now scream and it doesn't hurt one bit. If it does, then I just stop, and go at it at a slightly lowered volume (the volume you scream at makes a HUGE difference in whether there is even the potential to damage your vox, even if it is raised or lowered only a small amount).

And, as someone has said in a previous post, you'll have a mic, so you don't need to scream at the top of your voice. Rad, sorry dude, but I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of sending you a burn of it or something. But if you haven't already, and you want to scream without damaging your vox, I'd strongly recommend that you order this DVD. It has helped me sooooo much.

And after watching the DVD, I agree with Eldritch and say that if it hurts then you're doing it wrong, and that there is some other way you can get the effect you're looking for without damaging your vox. By the way, do you have this DVD, Eldritch?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 08:38:29 pm »
Oh well, too bad :)
I think i might order it for myself..
Im really glad i could be of any help and you actually listened and bought the dvd !

Good luck with the progress ^^

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 09:36:01 pm »
Yes, thank you for finding that and sharing it. :) If you get the DVD, lemme know what you think of it and all that.

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2006, 01:14:17 pm »
No i dont possess that dvd :) experience ftw ^^

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 08:19:41 am »
Awesome. How long have you been practicing? And I've seen this so many times, and now it's driving me crazy lol, but what does ftw mean? I'm stumped. ???

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 08:58:36 am »
Awesome. How long have you been practicing? And I've seen this so many times, and now it's driving me crazy lol, but what does ftw mean? I'm stumped. ???

...for the win.

example: Lindar ftw!

In reverence to that Gods awful game show "Hollywood Squares".

((btw: I live about 3 hours from Hollywood. It's just like any other city, except there are people there that are, for some reason, treated differently because of their career path... I never understood this fascination with those kind of people. There's a metro district, a gay district, a shithole district full of whores and coke dealers, and various other places you can find in any other city.)) *queue the "The More You Know!" clip*
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 09:52:31 am »
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. :D

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 11:22:41 am »
Well its hard to say actually, i started around 3-4 years ago...cant really say that ive been intense training or anything, but i guess i use the time i get to train well :P and also the first time i (EVER) was infront of people that i knew very well ^^ and its a weird feeling, cause im one of those "silent" people i just dont open my mouth all the time and most people that know me say im funny :P but after that first time, my friends looked at my in another way i think... they were like "omg we just found satan" ;)

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2006, 12:03:11 pm »
Oh, me too! And it was the same for me, except it was more my family than my friends lol. And I practice it so frequently now that it's (sort of) become commonplace. ;D

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2006, 12:06:06 pm »
Oops...I forgot to say how long I've been going at it. :P It really hasn't been long at all, just sometime about a few weeks before winter break (my winter break started December 20 or thereabouts btw). So it really has been very recently that I've taken a serious interest in singing and screaming.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2006, 10:20:01 pm »
Uh, i find it hard to scream aloud.
What about you guys, and tips please :)

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006, 11:26:38 pm »
What exactly do you mean by "scream aloud"? Do you mean, in the presence of other people? If that is the case, I think it's really just a matter of overcoming a certain level of discomfort that you're going to experience when you scream where people can hear you. For this, all I can recommend is to say to your self "screw it" and just start screaming whatever it is you're wanting to scream, regardless of whether you feel comfortable doing it or not.

Overcoming this discomfort is a HUGE part of screaming where people can hear you, because when you are self-conscious, you hold back, which holds back on what goes through your vocal cords, which may after some time have some bad effects. If you're at home, go in your room, shut the door, and practice, and if anyone bothers you, laugh about it with them. This will also help ease the tension.

True story: the first time anyone heard me, it was my step-brother; he had just come home from school, and he came upstairs and asked me "was that you?! I thought it was Satan!!"; that's something we just laugh about, then and now.

If that all seems jumbled, sorry, I wanted to get all my thoughts out before they escaped me. :P If you want me to, I'll try to condense it all. :) And if what you're thinking of is something completely different, enlighten me as to what it is, and I may still be able to help ya. :)

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2006, 10:58:03 pm »
Okay, here's my thing.

I just started getting interested in vocals. I'm learning to expand my vocal range (I choke on an F1 and squeek on an A2. The G2 I'm working on, and I can hit it, but sometimes I fumble) and sing whilst playing my acoustic guitar, but the problem is when I'm playing rock music, I'm expected to, melodically and nonmelodically, shout/scream. A good example was that we were doing a cover of FLAK - Blitzkrieg and I was doing Robert's part. During most of it he's shouting, which is the kind of shouting/screaming I'm looking to do (like that kind of shouting, and the only type of screaming I can think of is from Slipknot. Not deathmetal, but like high tenor low alto), but the problem is that on the part "counter-T's are everywhere and that is why I keep the action clear" I have to sing. Normally I can sing that no problem, but the thing is that I've been shouting, and after shouting like that, my voice cracks and wavers.

So my first question is this: How do you transition from shouting to singing?
My second question is this: How does one shout in the range I've described without getting hoarse?
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline finaleclipse06

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2006, 12:49:26 am »
Hmm...this may help you.

"There is a certain way to scream that when done, will not damage the vocal folds even the slightest bit, and you can scream and not hurt yourself. I will explain this, but first I'll need to explain some other concepts that you may or may not be familiar with.

The first thing is that you NEVER want to scream from your throat, putting pressure and strain on your vocal chords. You want to scream from your gut. Try this: bark like a dog. No, seriously. Do it. Feel the way your diaphragm and other abdominal muscles contract. That is one thing that you want to make natural, and not screaming from your throat. Another thing is the way you take in air. You want to breathe in so that your diaphragm expands downward, spreading out the ribcage, which allows for a larger intake of air.

You do not want your chest to move. This is because when you take a big gulp of air into your chest, you can't do a whole lot of anything besides let it out in a big burst of air. In the eastern internal martial arts there is something VERY similar to this, if not exactly the same (except for the intent of the breath) called abdominal breathing. The reason you want to breathe in the fashion I just described is because the abdominal muscles have a slower rate of release, therefore you can do more with the air you intake. Know that you don't need to take in more air, you just need to learn how to wisely use the air that you have."

I realized that when I scream as described above, I can transition from screaming to singing and back again easily without any problems. As for not getting hoarse, well, following the advice I posted will hopefully help you with that. Good luck! :)