Author Topic: Spartan in DOA4  (Read 11216 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: Spartan in DOA4
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 06:28:35 pm »
The Resident Evil novels are surprisingly good...
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 12:20:26 pm »
I'll probably give them [the Halo] novels a read provided I can find them online somewhere despite the fact I didn't enjoy the games. I never get around to reading physical books, too uncomfortable to look down at them or hold them up in front of me. Monitor FTW.

On the book topic, just finished reading the two Full Metal Panic! novels The End of Day by Day and A Dancing Very Merry Christmas.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 05:16:35 am »
If we're goin to consider Warhammer/40k (the tabletop game) a game, then there are a couple of good books published in that universe. It's probably the only game-inspired books I've read (not that I've read that many of them).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 05:01:17 am »
The Halo books are very good. The first and third (Fall of Reach and First Strike) in particular. The one that takes place during the course of the game, The Flood, was a little boring to me (probably because it took place during the course of the game, and partially because it had a different writer than the other two).

I've also read the Doom books (Knee Deep in the Dead, Hell on Earth, Infernal Sky, and End Game). Those wern't half bad either.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 05:28:49 am »
That's because the First and third book were written by Eric Nylund. The second book wasn't written by him, and therefore suffered. That, and it had to follow the games story as close as it could.

I personally like the first one the best, it explains everything. I read the book before ever playing Halo, and it made the experience so much more enjoyable.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 03:47:11 pm »
wait wait wait wait ..

A GIRL ?!

why the fuck would they do thqat ?1

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 05:07:56 pm »
wait wait wait wait ..

A GIRL ?!

because girls look better in bikinis

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 10:16:48 pm »
wait wait wait wait ..

A GIRL ?!

Because it's DOfuckingA.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Lexx

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 10:27:19 pm »
Because it's DOfuckingA.

The whole series is a joke anyway. Putting a Spartan in there won't make much difference, except maybe adding another nail tio the coffin of the gaming industry.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 06:40:01 am »
I have to butt in.. the book "Halo: flood"  IS the first game, completley spoiled it for me.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 02:13:09 pm »
I have to butt in.. the book "Halo: flood"  IS the first game, completley spoiled it for me.

That's why you DON'T read that one. You read "Fall of Reach", then beast the game, then "Flood" (If you care enough), then "First Strike".

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 08:56:00 pm »
I like DOA. It's shiny, it's fun, has a good ratio between skill and button mashing... and school girl uniforms.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 11:29:35 pm »
I'll probably give them [the Halo] novels a read provided I can find them online somewhere despite the fact I didn't enjoy the games. I never get around to reading physical books, too uncomfortable to look down at them or hold them up in front of me. Monitor FTW.

On the book topic, just finished reading the two Full Metal Panic! novels The End of Day by Day and A Dancing Very Merry Christmas.

If you want the first one, Flood, just send me a PM and we'll work something out.  I'll let you have it for a few bucks plus shipping... It's just collecting dust on my shelf.  But I should warn you, if you've played Halo 1, it's not worth reading.  it's the
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 11:36:13 pm »

If you want the first one, Flood, just send me a PM and we'll work something out.  I'll let you have it for a few bucks plus shipping... It's just collecting dust on my shelf.  But I should warn you, if you've played Halo 1, it's not worth reading.  it's the
I ment online as in a text file, pirated. I would buy books but the last ones I bought I never get around to reading because its not exactly comfortable to read like a monitor. Thanks for the offer though.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 01:10:18 am »
Because it's DOfuckingA.

The whole series is a joke anyway. Putting a Spartan in there won't make much difference, except maybe adding another nail tio the coffin of the gaming industry.

Why do you consider the series a joke, if I may inquire?

I was somewhat of a fan of fighting games in my younger days, and got DOA3 for christmas some years ago. I found it better than the Tekken games. Better graphics, smoother movements, and the very nice anti-buttonmasher counters (you know, the grabs where you grab the enemys arm/foot as they attack and do something nasty to them). That's a stroke of genius there.

Oh, and it's available on the Xbox, which got much better controls than PS2.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic