Author Topic: Forum games!  (Read 30028 times)

MDX

Re: Forum games!
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 05:10:33 pm »
Yes, Anklecz0r well done.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 07:46:34 pm »

Offline Spiff

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2005, 08:00:31 pm »
Still waiting for someone to beat my PSST! highscore. :p

Smeagol

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2005, 10:09:54 pm »
I finally have the panicroom highscore! Megamenneske's reign over the game has ceased. Score of 99, ph34r it.

MDX

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2005, 10:13:33 pm »
impressive.

how.

Smeagol

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2005, 10:19:13 pm »
No idea. Probably couldn't repeat it. Was aiming for 100 though, just ran out of time.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2005, 04:36:54 am »
Onyone seen a certain Asteroids highscore? >_>

I went for a clean 2000000, but eventhough I had counted the point values for all asteroids, I forgot about the small UFO. I shot it with my score at 1999500, expecting it to give me 500 points, but instead it gave me 1000. I was like, "...damn". So I entered the year 2005 into the score instead.

Yes, it took me five hours straight. What? I was serious when I said I was bored enough to get 30000 points in Psst. Just like Psst, Asteroids never gets harder from about the fifth level, and I had such a ridiculous number of extralives, I could get a sandwich, and when I came back my extralives still stretched beyond the right border of the screen. The designers should've made the difficulty increase constantly, or cap the number of extralives (I earned a total of 200).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 04:39:05 am by Spiff »

chompy

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2005, 08:59:28 am »
I have RSI need to stop clicking

Offline Spiff

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2005, 02:48:03 am »
Some thoughts on random games...

Aussie Xmas is sleek and fun.

Breakit has more bugs than a rotting corpse.

Breakout V2 looks like a bad Flash tutorial example and plays worse. Where did you find this stuff? Following the Geocities link at the bottom reveals that it's even the worst of this guy's games, you should've taken the superior Burger Time instead.

Bricks in the wall has the excellent collision detection of Breakout V2, the flawless programming of Breakit and the highest quality sound effects straight from the shareware version of Klik'n'Play. It's a miracle it even boots up doesn't attract more players.

Ah, Donkey Kong. Levels 2-4 are missing, the sound effects and intro/ending are wrong, the jumping and hit detection are nothing like the original, the barrels have the wrong AI and there are no hammers. The best part is the instant-death barrel glitch. If you put one million monkeys by computers, one of them will eventually program a game. This is that game.

Mars Rover has enemies that spawn next to your vehicle and odd hit detection. Guaranteed fun!

Asteroids, finally a good game! This is in fact a too good port - you can still earn so many extralives that you can take a break when you get bored, and still have 30 lives when you get back.

How about actually making each level harder in Duck hunt? I didn't see much of a difference between level 1 and 120. Also, the ducks fly nothing like they do in the original, and the animation for the dog holding up two ducks is wrong.

Psst doesn't get harder past level 3. In other words, like Asteroids, Donkey Kong and Duck Hunt, your highscore is determined only by how long you're willing to spend doing absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure the original was superior (it must've been, it was made by Ultimate/Rare).

Collapse is good, but I've seen better implementations (where each round requires a minimum score to pass).

Flatout depends on how fast your machine can display Flash files, so in my case, it's quite impossible pressing Space at the right time. Only tried it once.

Panicroom plays like a random highscore generator and sounds like a cartoonist asylum. *Pictures people bouncing against cushioned walls yelling "Boink! Boink! Boink!"*

When epileptic people go to hell, they're stuck in a room where every available surface is covered with screens displaying Dolphin Dash. Once you've learnt to get all the coins, the highscore is still completely random, another example of bad game design.

Militarywar - so much graphics wasted on so little gameplay. Didn't see much of a point.

If you can program a VCR, you have more game design skills than the guy who made Skiprock. You don't even have to try to get the maximum score.

Pacman and Plumber look nice, but I haven't tried them yet. Haven't trid the rest of the games, either.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2005, 03:19:17 am »
Great post, lol. But c'mon, a bit harsh. Flatout and Dolphin Dash are just zany mini games. There's little about skill and prowess, its just a stupid distraction. And the rest are only flashes so we can't expect too much - ther'es only a few people that really know how to make good stuff out of the program. But as for the games by GEL (i think it is - they're responsible for bricksinthewall, sk8_prison and skating gamez) thery are simply dire.

Hey just had a thought. Let's put a great game in the form of your puzzle game that you made. Had to implement a scoring system based on time I suppose.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2005, 03:47:08 am »
Yeah, I know it was harsh... I guess I just expected something like Peasant's Quest or such. :P I went to a forum long ago that had alot of good Flash games, but it doesn't exist anymore. Had a very good Breakout game with proper collision detection, too. Still, did the creator of this Donkey Kong version play more than one level, since he didn't discover the instant death glitch? Anyway, go to that Geocities link found in Breakout V2, and play Burger Time, that's a fun game. :) We should have that one here.

As for making my puzzle game in Flash, that's way out of my league, or anyone I know.  :p

Smeagol

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2005, 03:59:06 am »
Dolphin Dash and Panic Room criticism seems overly harsh. Dolphin Dash is just something to do while killing time. It's stupidly fun and addicting. Panic Room is probably one of the hardest games to get a good score for. Then we come to Flatout, which MDX broke on the first day or so, with 496, pretty much the highest possible score.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2005, 04:03:48 am »
Geez, I was just trying to be funny (which I'm not).

Smeagol

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2005, 04:11:35 am »
Sarcasm doesn't travel too well online, especially if it's subtle. Brilliant post though, I did lol at Bricks in the wall pretty much downwards.

Shame there's no mention of the two worst offenders in there (Yes, Skating gamez and sk8 prison) though.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2005, 05:41:40 am »
Geez, I was just trying to be funny (which I'm not).

Awww...

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed at you.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."