Author Topic: Chord progressions that don't fit standard keys.  (Read 2977 times)

Offline lindarthebard

• I'm a last-all-day guitarist.
Chord progressions that don't fit standard keys.
« on: October 02, 2005, 12:26:07 pm »
I have figured out a progression that sounds moderately good.
F#min, F, E, D#

It's played in 4/4 playing the 5th, root, 3rd, 5th for each chord in that order each in equal time.

How do I write a melody to this?
owned:electric and acoustic guitar,5 string electric bass,acousic violin,harmonica,electric piano,drums,trumpet. Capable of playing:electric/acoustic guitar,electric/acoustic bass,violin,harmonica,piano,ukulele,mandolin,drums,keyboard,organ,harpsichord,trumpet, generally all brass, keys, and strings

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
Re: Chord progressions that don't fit standard keys.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:39:16 pm »
well, its not impossible. i just play along the mp3 file u sent me, well i dont come up with anything good but,m its not impossible ^^

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Xeero

• Awesome!
    • The Exclaimers?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 07:13:52 am »
Just hum something in your head and try to put it down on guitar or whatever else.  Who says things have to be diatonic to a key?  A song I just wrote uses an insane amount of chromatism.

Offline Goodnight

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:06:15 am »
I wrote half a song a couple years ago and never finished it, but it used a similar progressions: Em, C, B, Bb.
Get to know all of the notes in each chord and try some variations on the chords to see what fits, might help with a melody. For example I could hold a high Bb on the last chord and get a nice diminished harmony when Em comes around again.

But I'm no musician, so you can ignore me if it pleases you to. =)

Smeagol

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:53:06 am »
Nice avatar ;)

Offline Xeero

• Awesome!
    • The Exclaimers?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 12:11:54 pm »
You can look at the scales for each chord as well: (I'm aware I spelled the chords differently, I'll explain if asked why)

Gb Ab Bb Cb Db D E Gb
F G A Bb C D E F
E F# G# A B C# D# E
Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb

You can look for common notes from one to the next.  Hang onto the Bb going from the Gb to the F, then hang onto say, the E, then D#...  Those notes can be used as somewhat of pivot notes.  What it all comes down to is "What sounds good to me?"  Sometimes I write some really chromatic melodies, other times they're 100% in the key of _____ (Whatever the key is).