Author Topic: The difficulty of games  (Read 11824 times)

Offline stv2049

• I'm a llama!
Re: The difficulty of games
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 12:10:00 am »
Would it be possible to develop a game that ramped difficulty dynamically through the entire game? Is there such a game in existence?

Would a game that did so be any fun to play?

(I'm asking as I'm developing my own game ideas here)

As a veteran of the 'classic' arcade style of game, where 'marathoning' was possible, playing 'forever' on a single quarter, the difficulty curve had a peak and never got any higher.

I'm personally in favor of simpler, shorter games that challenge the player right from the start.
--
Steve Riesenberger
Game Designer

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 12:33:41 am »
Most difficult game? Project-X for the Amiga. The original version, before they toned it down.

Shooter? Team 17? I think I've played it. The memory is blurry though.

Smeagol

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 02:34:04 am »
Yep, the side-scrolling shoot 'em up which I and many others believe to be THE hardest game ever. I can send a winuae rom of it if anyone wants it. (Trust me, you won't need all four roms)

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 05:37:45 am »
Would it be possible to develop a game that ramped difficulty dynamically through the entire game? Is there such a game in existence?

That's a good question. I've thought about things like that, and it seems like I've seen it done somewhere before. Anyone know what game(s) do this?

Ankle

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 07:54:33 am »

That's a good question. I've thought about things like that, and it seems like I've seen it done somewhere before. Anyone know what game(s) do this?
Far Cry had the option. It, however, didn't seem to get easier when you died over and over. Infact playing with it on + the hardest setting has actually gotten quite hard towards the end of the game. I'd go so far to say its impossible to get through the door in front of me alive now.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005, 06:03:52 pm »
DoW challenging? I would not say so....

And neither did I. It was simple. Extremely simple.

agreed.

Old school games certainly seemed harder in my head. I remember getting slaughtered repeatedly in Chaos Engine for example but there are plenty of games these days that are difficult. Rogue Leader for the 'Cube was hard as nails but still really really fun. Same goes For F-Zero GX, fun as hell but cruel.

Smeagol

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 06:08:20 pm »
The Chaos Engine wasn't too difficult except for the Engine itself. May have something to do with the sick amount of time I spent playing it though.. and that the Thug pwned all the other chars.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 07:14:02 pm »
I *think* one of the Jak & Daxter games (or maybe it was Ratchet & Clank) made the game easier the more you died, but this caused people who wanted a challenge to think the game became too easy.

The final boss in Ikaruga removes morphing missiles from its arsenal after it kills you a few times. Since extra lives add a major amount of score at the end of the game, you really don't want to die more than once or twice on him though.

I remember when Nintendo's stealth/shooter Too Human was being produced. They boasted that the game would alter itself to the player's style; sneak in through the back door, and your missions become more sneaky. Go in through the front door with blazing guns, and your next mission may just tell you to use the same tactic. I think it was scrapped or put on ice indefinitely though.

Smeagol

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
The original Devil May Cry did a similar with difficulty ratings, continue once in the first four missions and it would unlock easy mode which is a walkover.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 09:42:19 pm »
Ninja Gaiden. It's quite difficult.

Ankle

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005, 04:25:04 am »
Dante must Die in Devil may Cry got harder as you went on without death. Once you die it would get easier again and start going up from there.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2005, 05:36:19 am »
Dante must Die in Devil may Cry got harder as you went on without death. Once you die it would get easier again and start going up from there.

thats actually a really cool idea

Smeagol

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 02:20:04 pm »

I thought that was only available in the second game (not played the third) which was stupidly easy for the most part anyway? The only difficult sections are the second boss (the huge water thingy) and fighting Phantom yet again.

Ankle

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2005, 04:17:36 am »

I thought that was only available in the second game (not played the third) which was stupidly easy for the most part anyway? The only difficult sections are the second boss (the huge water thingy) and fighting Phantom yet again.
No, it was in the first one for Dante must Die only. The second may have had it but I sure didn't notice, it was easy where the first was really hard.

Smeagol

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2005, 04:21:17 am »
Yeah, I never got around to winning DMC1 on hard in the first place. Normal was hard enough, although this is probably due to the fact that I only used the gauntlets for the one puzzle they are needed for and that was it. Made Nightmare a real bitch to kill the final time round, especially seeing as how the fucker near enough fully regens.