Author Topic: "Earthbound" to be entered into DDR simfile tournament  (Read 3226 times)

Offline stv2049

• I'm a llama!
"Earthbound" to be entered into DDR simfile tournament
« on: July 20, 2005, 02:06:08 am »
(I initially posted this in the DWI/Stepmania topic)

Well here I go again with another Machinae Supremacy song entry.
You can read about DDRei's Tournamix at www.ddrei.com

The 'Tournamix' is for a Dance Dance Revolution PC simulator program called Dance With Intensity (DWI)

The success (and subsequent non-successes of other non-MaSu entries) of The Great Giana Sisters in Tournamix 2 has led me back to the reality of Machinae Supremacy.

I'll be entering an edited version of Earthbound, possibly my most favorite MaSu song.

Already I have trimmed the song length down to 2:30 from the original 4:50. At first I tried cutting out the entire middle of the song, matching the first and last choruses.

hm. not great...

Then I methodically plodded through the song to trim out repetitive bars (probably the real way you trim down a song, but bear with me, this is my first attempt) and wound up with something I'm actually very proud of! Yay me!

The deadline for entries is July 29. I'll be posting up a link to my entry next month (I don't know when my bracket will come up for public download) At that time, at the very least, you can dl and listen to my butchered version of Earthbound. ;)

Wish me luck! I'll be cheering Machinae Supremacy every 'step' of the way!

Thanks Robert.
--
Steve Riesenberger
Game Designer

Offline H

• Gamer. Guitarist. Slacker.
    • My site
Re: "Earthbound" to be entered into DDR simfile tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:26:17 pm »
Awsome. Machinae Supremacy & "Earthbound" have my full support. Good luck with that, bro ^_^
[Comfort the disturbed. Disturb the comfortable]
Crownus

Offline ПФББЧ

• Has lovely moobs
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 03:59:22 pm »
You could allways time-scale it and give the DDR freaks heart attacks... :P
^____________________^
               \__/

Offline stv2049

• I'm a llama!
Contest GO!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 06:41:55 pm »
The DDRei Tournamix has begun.
www.ddrei.com

Earthbound is in the first Bracket of 70 songs!

The whole Bracket must be downloaded through a BitTorrent.

Follow this link if you're hardcore: http://forums.ddrei.com/viewtopic.php?t=2098

(and follow another link, and register, and dl Azureus, and, and... *drop*)

Anyway, for those of you, like me, who have very little time to fiddle around with MORE software, I'll report back any and all feedback on my entry.

Thank you for your support.
--
Steve Riesenberger
Game Designer

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:45:52 am »
Wee. So many good songs in that pack. Out of the 20-something I've tried so far, yours has been the best. The heavy steps are awesome, and the challenge steps can still kick my ass, so I'll be having fun with it for a while. And your editing of the song worked very well. Only a couple parts sounded abrupt, but that's just because I've heard Earthbound so many times. Superb work all around ;D

Offline stv2049

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 07:02:18 pm »
:...(

^tears of joy.

Seriously, yours has been the only overall positive comment that I've read about the entry so far.

I'm very pleased with the entry. I consider it 'Giana Sisters Lite' because of the intro and streams of guitar notes. I'm also very happy to have included Robert's poignant lyrics conveyed via his buttered-rusty-hacksaw vocals.

That makes two satisfied customers, including me.

See below for updated comments from DDRei.com
===================================
UPDATED 08/15/05

note: I'm not one to comment on other people's comments. They are what they are.

08/15/2005
Earthbound Comments
===================
by Bee
======
Not a bad song choice. Steps went pretty well although I don't think the slow down was handled very well. 7/10

by Sage
=======
Ehhh...I was biased against it going in, since I don't think Machinae Supremacy belonged in ITG at all, but playing it just confirmed it. Stepchart was okay in places, but a lot of it was weak (what's with those measures of eighth notes, and all the freeze measures?) Also, I've been lax about songs being off-sync, but this one was off to the point of annoyance.

by pokecapn
===========
-EV for ITG connotations
-EV for bpm change out of nowhere
I hit escape so hopefully your steps didn't start sucking hard after the bpm change
Overall: -2EV

by Frieza
=========
http://frieza.stormwerks.net/TM6B1.txt
Earthbound - Machine Supremacy [44]
Steven Riesenberger
Initial Reaction: 6 Another rocky track thats LONG! I would've made the song title more prominent in the banner, but oh well.
Graphical Impact: 5 Bit plain, but hey!
Consistency OF Files: 6 Pretty much all ok.
STEPS: 12 They started out realllll good. Then they got quite tricky =/
Audio Selection: 5 The song is OK.
General Impression: 5 Could be better.

by Zounder
==========
Played in SM; reviewing heavy since that is the most frequently played.

Initial impression: Machinae Supremacy rocks, especially Sidology episodes 1 and 3. Also, this registers as "long"... let's hope it keeps my attention.

Song choice: Fits DDR wonderfully, awesome song too. Could've maybe used a shorter cut, though.

Steps: What beat were you trying to follow here? For most of the song, (minus the beginning and end), it seemed like the arrows were, well, random. Lot's of double steps, as well. Now, they could have been spins, I imagine, but there were so many! @_@ One thing you did well, though, was not make the file too difficult. This is very paddable, and many people would have went totally overboard with the difficulty.

Overall, lots of flaws, but nothing glaringly wrong. 5/10

Nice song choice.  but it seems to go offsync near the end of the song a bit.  The biggest problem, though, is that some of these arrows don't follow any part of the music, which makes it hard to get into the song.  5/10

by Turtle
=========
Out of the 20-something I've tried so far, yours has been the best. The heavy steps are awesome, and the challenge steps can still kick my ass, so I'll be having fun with it for a while. And your editing of the song worked very well. Only a couple parts sounded abrupt, but that's just because I've heard Earthbound so many times. Superb work all around 

by ranatalus
============
Earthbound: You have disgraced an awesome game. Bad BPM, copy/paste steps, and a band I really don't care for. 2/10

by Xaen
=======
Earthbound -- Amazing song, and the steps aren't atrocious. Sync became a problem, but not something that hindered playability very much.

by Xythar
=========
STV is cool, and Machinae Supremacy is cool, but dear god this is long >_< It's an awesome song but 8ths at 200bpm for 2 and a half minutes is just PUNISHING. Gaaah. *dies*

by tigerprezx
=============
I thought it was mostly solid throughout, but it had some significant awkward points where the steps don't really go to the music. Most notably is the section between the first tempo change and the beginning of the vocals, on all difficulties. I'm a fan of Machinae Supremacy, but I don't think this song was as suited for stepping as Hybrid or Great Giana Sisters. The awkwardness is the song's fault, not yours, but then again you could have picked a better song. 6/10

by Bluee
========
= + = This is definately not The Great Giana Sisters, and greatness should rarely try to be surpassed, but this is a pretty quality entry even in spite of that.

by lrxevan
==========
Beacuse this entry has a broken BPM, I will not be rating or reviewing it.

by Dark Luke
============
Difficulty: 12 (11?)
BPM: 100~200
Challenges: short 16th brusts at 200 bpm, 8th step jumps, 8th single jackhammers

Comments:
-Pretty good overall
-Not a 12 though

by Super_Ray
============
This one was okay. The syncing seemed a bit off at some parts, but it was pretty good, overall.
The song itself wasn't really my cop of tea, but the overall product was a good effort.
6.5/10
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 08:36:44 pm by stv2049 »
--
Steve Riesenberger
Game Designer

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:44:56 am »
Those comments seem a bit harsh. I didn't have any problems with it being off sync, or the steps being too random. The background could have used more fanciness I suppose, but that doesn't really matter.

I hope your future stuff is as good as this one.