Author Topic: Ghost in a shell!  (Read 9527 times)

Offline olyckan

• Fight to live, live to fight - Ashihara
Ghost in a shell!
« on: August 13, 2003, 11:44:45 am »
i just finished watching "Ghost in a shell" a manga movie!

Must say i was really impressed with both the story and the "footage"

This manga movie would actually make a really cool picture ´like matrix or something.

what you guys think of that?? converting manga to ordinary acting movies?? good or bad??

Do you guys know any other good manga movies i perhaps should look at if i liked "ghost in a shell"
aka: mtribe][vortex
seriously, RYU IRL!

sobella_science

Re:Ghost in a shell!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 01:48:02 pm »
I have "Ghost in a shell" and have watched it a couple of times....it's really cool! :D

My suggestion of movies of this kind is; Noir You'd either love it or hate it....I think it's great, not any fast action but still very cool. :)

About your idea of a manga acting movie.....yeah it could work with right pll doin' it I guess - but I'm afraid a movie like it would leave out much of the characteristics of manga?  ???

Offline Spunky

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 02:56:57 pm »
Ive only seen Stand Alone COmplex but the tanks are so kyoot! =D
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 04:16:42 pm »
Ghost In The Shell is good movie. If you ask what movies would be good to watch here is some recommentations:

1) Princess Mononoke (fantasy)
2) Samurai X Trust (history/fantasy)
3) Samurai X Betrayal (history/fantasy)
4) Ninja Scroll (fantasy)
5) Cowboy Bebop : Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Sci-fi)
6) Blood The Last Vampire (modern horror)

If you like it more like cyber- or sci-fi then:
1) Patlabor 1& 2 (sci-fi)

Some series I would recommend:
1) Trigun (sci-fi); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES 26 episodes
2) Cowboy Bebop (sci-fi); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES 26(?) episodes
3) Rurouni Kenshin Samurai X fantasy) 95 episodes
4) Hellsing (horror / sci-fi); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES 13 episodes
5) Ranma ½ (mad, fun, kung-fu) some 130+ episodes and counting
6) Inu-Yasha (fantasy); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES over 100 episodes, and counting
7) Love Hina (fun, mad, romance); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES 26 episodes
8) Noir (thriller); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES 26 episodes
9) Neon Genesis Evangelion (mecha); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES 26 episodes

Series and movies are not in any particular order.  Best anime movie ever is Samurai X Trust+Betrayal, best series are Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I'm sure if you watch my rec's you notice that you'd like at least some of them. Sting you felt was animanga-fly's sting and you've been addicted... There is so much good manga and anime I just mentioned some of the best - I like many other series and movies almost as much as series/movies above.

Yeah. Enjoy your anime and I hope you live in USA 'cause it's more easy to you to buy them on DVD... I just hope you try to watch them with english subtitles 'cause original soundtrack is always better than dubbed. Princess Mononoke have fairly good dubs, though. Did I answer to your question?  :o  ;)  :D
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 04:18:24 pm »
Wow... 8 and ) got this  8) smile I did not notice it... It does not describe series in anyway. There's lot's of black sunglasses though but with no smile...

sobella_science

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 10:04:17 pm »
wow Gravehill! :o You know a few don't ya? :D I have #1-26 of Noir but, hrm, I was thinking.....isn't there over 30 episodes?

Offline badd0g

• Master of Darkness =))
    • stillalive
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 11:02:30 pm »
Hellsing really rocks  ;D
I also like:
lain :-X (13 episodes - cyberpunk)
weiss kreuz ;) (26 episodes, action)
witch hunter robin 8) (26 episodes, action/cyberpunk - very cool)
vampire hunter d: bloodlast :o (movie, cyberpunk/fantasy
---
there's a long way to go, a black angel at your side

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 12:38:52 am »
Yup. I know these too. There is so much good anime and manga in world! I thought about mentioning Witch Hunter Robin but it starts quite slowly in my opinion.  But it's good and if you're as OTAKU as me then you'll watch it and many many more animes/mangas. I'm just addicted to it! If you're in manga I would seriously warn you about

LONE WOLF AND THE CUB

That's one of the best mangas ever! Kazuo Koike just knows how to do it!

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 01:45:13 am »
Cowboy Beebop and Blood the last vampire are both amazing manga!!

the Lupin series is good,

Castle of Cagliostro is my favorite...

Blue Submarine number six is also very good....

...uhh im too tired, haven't watched animé in ages...well that shud get u started

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 01:49:54 am »
wow Gravehill! :o You know a few don't ya? :D I have #1-26 of Noir but, hrm, I was thinking.....isn't there over 30 episodes?
I do not know. It kinda ends neatly at episode 26 but there is always possibility that they've done some new episodes. Yeah. I almost forgot two great series:
Berserk (26? episodes)
Wolf's Rain (over 10 episodes, runs still on TV)

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 04:52:09 am »
I am not usually a huge fan of anime, but I LOVE Wolf's Rain!
There are now 30 episodes of Wolf's Rain.
I also own the soundtrack, it's amazing...especially when you follow the storyline all the way.

*Highly recommended* by me  :D

Story Review:

Well, if you´ve got to say one thing about this anime, it´s that its pretty original. The idea that wolves, a supposedly long extinct species, is walking the earth as human beings is pretty involving...
http://darsan.crystaltek.net/wolfsrain/story_r.html
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 11:10:36 am »
Over 30? Whiuh. I've had this little shortage on time so I've missed some 20 episodes. I have to sharpen up now...

KÄÄÄK!

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 12:42:54 pm »
Olyckan, it might be interesting for you to know that Ghost in The Shell was the biggest inspiration for The Matrix ... The Wachosky (spelling?) brothers have even confessed to this when confronted about similar scenes in the both movies etc. For instance, the marble pillar scene in The Matrix is an obvious rip from the pillar scene in GITS, although the enemy in GITS is a tank and only one.

Didn't they even make their storyboard in manga-style format?

Also, manga in movie form is called Anime. Manga means "comic".

... And yeah, I love GITS too.  ;D

And BloodAngel, you should see the movie... It's very different from the series, more cinematic, but still the same idea. Although they are seperate 'universes'. The series and the movie stories disregard each other.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

sobella_science

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 01:21:38 pm »
Robert, you had the answers to my thoughts I had 'bout manga, thank you.
 :)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 01:48:06 pm »
I've noticed too that someone mixed up anime and manga. Although anime has it's good points it's still very interesting to read same serie in manga too. First of all, it takes good manga that it would be made on anime.  Second, whereas in anime there are lot of artists doing work together manga is often work of one person. In anime they must do some compromises to fit story in certain time. It's same thing as in books to movies, I guess. Also manga has different ways to express things and often it's more colourful way. I have Ranma ½ at DVD (first 4 seasons and all OVAs) and 19 manga books. Both have they're own downsides and strongpoints. They are same, but different. It's hard to describe if you haven't tried reading manga and watching anime same time.

Warchowsky brothers were inspired by anime, and yes, storyboard was done in manga-format :) You can see influences when you watch anime (Ranma ½ would be possible do with similar cable-kung-fu tricks as Matrix) etc... GITS is really good movie, I have watched it 3 times. I like other works by Masamune Shirow, too.

It's bad/good thing that there is  so much anime and manga. Good thing is that there is always plenty of good series to watch and bad thing is that there is so much to follow that it's hard to keep up to date in this kind on thing...You actually can forget to keep on watching some series as it goes on. And if you're buying DVD's and manga-books it can be real money-hole... But if you find it good hobby you definately want to buy some in some point! Very eager (adult) manga/anime fan is called otaku. If I must take labels you could label me as one!

There are various sub-types of anime and manga too. There are girl-manga (shoujo) which deals with various relationship-problems, drama and romance. There is Bishounen-manga too ("pretty-boys" in japanese); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES like Weiss Kreuz :) There are erotic manga too, often referred as hentai (word that mean "pervert"). There are even gay-manga, yaoi. And yaoi can be shounen-ai (no-sexual-scenes) or hentai. And same goes to all other genres of anime/manga too. Confused already? It's sometimes really hard to know what kind of series you're about to watch will be, but often it's still worth of watching.

Good example of this is good anime called Gravitation. It's about band which is starting it's career. I started to watch it and soon discovered that...well. I don't want to give spoilers! I just say that it's good series and I can recommend it to all but really tight-minded. It's fun, it's sad, it's full of crazy action!

I've learned to give each serie a good opportunity 'cause if you watch first episode of series and think "this series goes like this..." you get very wrong idea about whole serie. Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin are good examples of that. Anime and manga are fun, weird world full of suprises and ingenious storylines.