Author Topic: yo, new here  (Read 10393 times)

Ankle

Re: yo, new here
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 12:13:45 pm »
Music: Tool, KMFDM, MaSu, NiN(before they were sold-out), APC, AiC

NIN are sellouts? Erm, right you are then... there was me thinking that Trent had just taken his music in an alternate direction to his past work.

That seems to be the definition of sell-out now. Just look at most In Flames fans, who seem to think STYE is an indication that they've sold-out.
It /is/ the definition of selling out /if/ the band changed the style for the purpose of obtaining more fans,money, etc. Unless they tell us, we'd probably never know.

Personally, I thought STYE was awful. Such a drastic change from their past work and not enjoyable at all. I can say the same thing for Soilwork's STD. Haha, never noticed the acronym for it was the same as sexually transmitted disease until now. :P I guess I have a new joke to go along with the soundtrack I want to escape.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 12:21:54 pm »
Guess I'm the one who likes In Flames from Reroute to Remain and after. :)

From my point of view it can simply be argued that they finally realized how to make really good songs, hehe... But that's just me. :)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Smeagol

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 12:28:06 pm »
I thought STYE wasn't too bad. It's a different style, but hell, they pulled it off pretty damn good.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
I don't believe in open source, but Wikipedia never ceases to amaze me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMFDM

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 06:43:24 pm »
In my opinion NIN can sell out to whoever the hell they want, as long as they still keep making awesome music like their new "With_Teeth" album... it's so amazing.  comparable to DXM? perhaps... a debate ensues.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 06:47:33 pm »
I don't believe in open source
wtf? die.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 09:29:59 pm »
I don't believe in open source
wtf? die.

Err, open source may be the wrong term. I'm all for publicly available code and stuff. But I can't imagine that projects with hundreds or thousands of people contributing produce better results than smaller, closely collaborating developer teams. As I said, this opinion has been shattered somewhat by Wikipedia.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 11:02:18 pm »
I don't mind games being closed source.
But utility code should be open source.

If I work with closed source libraries and the company shuts down, then I'd have to hope that the lib doesn't have any bugs or find a new lib and start over from scratch. And that really sucks. If I had the source I wouldn't be dependent of the company that made it.
I don't mind paying for it, but I want to have the source code.
Sometimes closed source is so damn good you just have to use it though.

It's also very important to allow people to use it for free if they don't earn any money from using it. I think that's the best way to gain users, think of it as free bug finders.

Something I don't understand is why people seem to think closed source commercial software is better than open source in all cases. My teachers say that they have to have support service... ooook, I think opensource in many cases have very good support, even if you might come across one or two jerks in the forums you usually get your answer, and bugs are actually corrected rather fast. Also, from my experience I've learned that a good manual is far more important than support. I have not yet seen a manual for a commercial app that beats the open source manuals I've seen.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Ankle

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2005, 01:23:45 pm »
Something I don't understand is why people seem to think closed source commercial software is better than open source in all cases. My teachers say that they have to have support service... ooook, I think opensource in many cases have very good support, even if you might come across one or two jerks in the forums you usually get your answer, and bugs are actually corrected rather fast. Also, from my experience I've learned that a good manual is far more important than support. I have not yet seen a manual for a commercial app that beats the open source manuals I've seen.
Lots of open source foundations now have support service. Redhat, Mandrivia, Mozilla, etc.