Author Topic: First Person Shooters  (Read 14766 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: First Person Shooters
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 04:10:39 am »
ok wtf ?

HALF LIFE !!

i was like hey fps ?

cool, a thread about half life but noooooooooooooooooo you had to fuck it all up with unreal and quake

man, hl is like omfgwtf1337ness

so ummm, anyone up for some tetris ?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 06:34:15 am »
Half Life is pretty crap imo.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 10:25:04 am »
hmm...

half-life is teh sux0r.  especially half-life 2.  waaay overhyped and not worth it.  only good thing was the physics engine, and why have a physics engine when you have flak reflecting off walls, quad jump in low grav... oh man,l back on UT2K4 again...

as for battlefield, its probably the ONLY realistic game ive really digged.  that being said, it still didnt make me die in amazement.

just finished beating Unreal Championship 2 on godlike on the exbox... f'n hate FPS's on consoles, the AWSD config is sooooo miuch better.  but UC2 shoulda came out on teh PC, teh melee system is f'n awesome

As for the earlier comment on a MMOFPS, i have one thing to say.  PLANETSIDE.  if SONY wasnt running it, PLANETSIDE would bring world peace, erid world hunger, cure cancer and the common cold, and own my soul.  instead, it was just amazing until they lowered the quality of their servers, forced lag, screwed up teh objectives that had been fine for a year and a half, and THEN jacked the monthly fee.

but if we could get another planetside made by ANYONE otehr than sony (if nintendo made it, id buy it.  and thats saying something... look at the Sony's big lie thread), itd be godly.  Sony also had another great game in teh works that they trashed becuase their fucking noobz0rs, it was a MMORTS.  basically starcraft taken MMO, and then when you werent online, bots would run defence codes on yuor bases.  also had the option of going FPS INSIDE it, making it a *huge breath* Massively-Multiplayer-Online-Constant-Real-Time-Strategy-Along-With-First-Person-Shooter.

phew, that would be the greatest game ever.  but since sony doesnt understand good games, they trashed it.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 01:32:42 pm »
(Give me this batch file)
(You will give me this batch file)

Yep, too lazy to search for it / make it myself. So?
imagecfg -u shock2.exe
imagecfg -u shock2.icd
imagecfg -a 0x1 shock2.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 shock2.icd

As for the earlier comment on a MMOFPS, i have one thing to say. PLANETSIDE. if SONY wasnt running it, PLANETSIDE would bring world peace, erid world hunger, cure cancer and the common cold, and own my soul. instead, it was just amazing until they lowered the quality of their servers, forced lag, screwed up teh objectives that had been fine for a year and a half, and THEN jacked the monthly fee.

but if we could get another planetside made by ANYONE otehr than sony (if nintendo made it, id buy it. and thats saying something... look at the Sony's big lie thread), itd be godly. Sony also had another great game in teh works that they trashed becuase their fucking noobz0rs, it was a MMORTS. basically starcraft taken MMO, and then when you werent online, bots would run defence codes on yuor bases. also had the option of going FPS INSIDE it, making it a *huge breath* Massively-Multiplayer-Online-Constant-Real-Time-Strategy-Along-With-First-Person-Shooter.

phew, that would be the greatest game ever. but since sony doesnt understand good games, they trashed it.
Too bad Planetside was boring since the start. I don't want a MMOFPS thats endless capturing of bases back and forth. I'm thinking completely destroyable structures and bases that could be setup elsewhere and most of all some sort of actual story going on.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 01:38:37 pm »
FPS...hmmm. lesseee

I think I like all flavours of FPS except for the super realistic. I love the really good story driven ones like AVP2 and Half Life 2 (and to a lesser extent Doom 3)

Back in the day I loved Unreal Tournament, infact about a month ago me and a few mates fired up UT vanilla death match and it was as good as ever. MMMMM, dual enforcer kills.

Counter strike I dipped in and out of and for the most part enjoyed, but I really do think that the fun for casual players is taken out of it by the people who make it their lives.

Day of defeat is a genius game and brings a whole new style to the table, weherein the bog standard weapons can kill you in one shot. Oh how I love DoD

the battlefield series is where it is at however. Battlefield 1942 consumed me in its heyday and battlefield 2 threatens to do the same if i upgrade my PC.

oh yeah, special mention to Joint Ops, I thought joint ops was lots of fun.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 07:35:49 pm »
imagecfg -u shock2.exe
imagecfg -u shock2.icd
imagecfg -a 0x1 shock2.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 shock2.icd
Sankyuu
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 09:57:20 am »
the thing with planetside is that it was made by sony.  sony=crappy plot.  the plot was "3 factions fighting for control.  uh, yeah... go kill each other now.  STFU MAN WE DONT WANT UR LAMEZ0R WHINEY DEMANDZ FOR PL0T!"

yeah, tahts sony.

i still dont understand how people could like Half-life/Counterstrike? they suck! i absolutey late those game!  mind you, i only use hate wehn referring to three things.  H-L/CS, Sony, and ignorant women.  seeing as tehre are 2 of the three in this post, time to go off tompic.

i hate ignorant women.  but i love women who rock.

back on topic, i do think i will try Battlefield 2, if its as good as you all say it is.  well, off to download a 17th file.  damn, its amazing ym internet isnt going into cardiac arrest.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 01:47:47 pm »
Let's see...

The original HL was good. Really good. And CS was fun. HL2 was fun to play through, but it wasn't great. CS: Source revitalised my CS gaming, at least for a period of time.

The games that really shine, in my opinion, are games such as Deus Ex and System Shock (well, SS2, actually. Haven't played SS1). Great stories and interesting gameplay makes these games much better than HLesque games.

Doom 3 was a dissapointment for me, mainly because I had too high hopes for it. The original Doom games were really cool (and so were the other shooters of those times - Wolfenstein3d, Duke3d, Quake1 and RotT* deserves honourable mentions in any thread about FPSs).

I also like realistic FPSs, like the Rainbow Six series, etc. Haven't played any of those in a while, but I remember hours and hours spent playing Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon.

*Rise of the Triads - a forgotten pearl, released at the same time as Doom2. It had inferior graphics, but a number of innovative features, some which were not to find in other games at the time HL was released.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 09:30:04 pm »
the thing with planetside is that it was made by sony.  sony=crappy plot.  the plot was "3 factions fighting for control.  uh, yeah... go kill each other now.  STFU MAN WE DONT WANT UR LAMEZ0R WHINEY DEMANDZ FOR PL0T!"
it's a fucking mmo, genius

Smeagol

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 09:33:19 pm »

Sounds like Alpha Centauri Lite...

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 09:40:17 pm »
I think I like all flavours of FPS except for the super realistic. I love the really good story driven ones like AVP2 and Half Life 2 (and to a lesser extent Doom 3)

98% agreement here, nothing to add.

I don't like shooters like counterstrike, where one shot kills you and then you have to wait till the round is over. Feels like a board game with action elements.

BF is great because it is versatile and compared to other shooters quite n00b-friendly. As n00b, you can stay in the background, do a little basecamping, grab a vehicle occasionally, help out on the turrets and quickly become good in the game.

Offline Adriankat

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2005, 03:42:10 am »
I'll play pretty much any FPS.  Realistic games like Red Orchestra and Operation Flashpoint are my favorite with arcade realism (Battlefield series) coming in 2nd.

Smeagol

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2005, 06:14:59 pm »
BF is great because it is versatile and compared to other shooters quite n00b-friendly. As n00b, you can stay in the background, do a little basecamping, grab a vehicle occasionally, help out on the turrets and quickly become good in the game.

Or you could practice against highest level bots, they're around as intelligent as the average newbie (98 sniper kills in one BF2 map with bots :)) so it's a nice way of getting into the game. Or just base camp with an assualt rifle.

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2005, 07:31:00 am »
if ur looking for realistic try Far Cry....aside from the mutated monkeys its really kinda realistic....not to mention a damn good time

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 04:49:32 pm »

Or you could practice against highest level bots, they're around as intelligent as the average newbie (98 sniper kills in one BF2 map with bots :)) so it's a nice way of getting into the game. Or just base camp with an assualt rifle.

I remember getting something like 50 knife kills against the bots in bf1942, what a waste of time lol