Author Topic: Sony's "Big Lie"  (Read 16943 times)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re: Sony's "Big Lie"
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 11:51:02 pm »
Nintendo will realistically probably end up third best as you say again but they are more likely to get my money straight away and heres why:

1) Revolution is, albeit scepulatively, going to be cheaper
2) Its gonna have some funky whack innovative controller. I would be more hesitant about this if i didnt have first hand experience of how fun the DS is
3) Free online games service for first party titles. straight outta the box.
4) downloadable (cheap?) nintendo classics. Goldeneye online anyone?
5) low(er) development costs = more developers taking risks equals

Fuck HD, I'm a student, I'm not gonna have a HD-TV for years! I just wanna play fun games on my £98 TV i got off Amazon and I dont wanna pay shit loads for it and I dont wanna play the same repetitive shit over and over. Also I would like cake. Thank you.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2005, 12:18:45 am »

...I dont wanna play the same repetitive shit over and over. Also I would like cake. Thank you.

Woah, that's the reason I would buy the Revolution! I don't know about you, but I could spend days sitting beating all the old NES and SNES games. Hell, I'd probably spend forever trying to re-beat Super Mario 3 again...The LONG WAY.

Anyhow, Sony are bastards. If any of you have seem the pre-e3 releasing of the Ps3 you'll know what I'm talking about. They love to make shit up about how they started it all. They used DVD's in the Ps2, and that's why DVD's took off! Their Ps3 is going to be OMGWTFBBQ powerful! Their original PSX wrecked the N64! And all the good companies got their start with Sony. It's really patetic how Sony are so full of themselves. And what's more, when they finally did reveal the Ps3, the audience laughed at them...until they realised that Sony was serious with their design.

In short, Sony sucks.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2005, 12:20:17 am »
I rebeat SMB3 the long way earlier this year. Since then I havent really used my nes much :(

I dont hate sony or anything, but I think their arrogance is going to cost them this time round

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2005, 12:23:55 am »
And if the Halo "fans" are going to go nuts and buy an X-box 360 just for Halo 3, then X-box has a good chance of beating Ps3.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2005, 02:35:18 am »
Again, consoles don't mean anything without games.  Games will make the console, not really the other way around.

I could care less about Sony's claiming to be the producer of anything.  Besides, if you want to talk evil ethical algnments just look at Nintendo in the 8-bit days.

(In other words, I agree with SpeedD here.)

And let's take a more cynical view of the points that Visionthing made.  (Although not necessairly less or more correct view, I'm playing devil's advacoate here.)

Cheaper because it lacks features.   You're paying for a crippled product compared to the Xbox and PS3.

2) Its gonna have some funky whack innovative controller. I would be more hesitant about this if i didnt have first hand experience of how fun the DS is

And remember how awful the N64 controlers were?  How about the virutual boy.. that was funky, whack and creative.  It was also capable of literally rendering you blind if memory serves.  Not all of Nintendo's attempts at revisionism are successful.

And besides, There's already pretty wack and funky things being done in the other camps.. anyone else seen the "Batarang" PS3 controler?  :D

3) Free online games service for first party titles. straight outta the box.

And what about Third party titles?  'nuff said.

Who would want to play em?  Seriously.  The old consoles are already insanely cheap.  Why play them on the new system when you can probably get it cheaper. (Now i admit that there are some exceptions to this... but when they do re-release that ultra rare old game, the prices of the actual product will go down.  Simple supply and demand.)

5) low(er) development costs = more developers taking risks equals

Lower development costs = More developers putting out "Shovelware" and straight to bargin bin crap in the hopes of duping some poor schmuck into spending money on junk games.  Sifting through more crap to find fewer gems will make the whole thing more difficult.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 02:43:43 am by Bearfoot »
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 08:59:10 am »
Couple things.

Cheaper because it lacks features.   You're paying for a crippled product compared to the Xbox and PS3.

Features, meh.  Depends on what you want your console to do.  I just want it to play games.  My PC can do all the music, video, and other such stuff that I want.  Better to keep console costs down and leave out extras in my opinion.

Who would want to play em?

Goldeneye.  Online.   :o
That's something new and quite possibly awesome.  The ability to play old NES, SNES, and N64 games online will most likely be enough to make me buy a Revolution.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2005, 09:15:57 am »
Eh, I've never been up for online gaming. It's so much more fun when your friends are in the room with you... but I would play Mario Party online, and Smash Bros. :D
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 10:54:20 am »
this will probably get me massacred and exiled from this forum at a mere 5 posts, but here goes...

i would never buy a Nintendo Revolution.  why?

game style.  as it ahs been said, its the games that will make the systems.  if you have any insight into the world of nintendo, nintendo hs kept to its core (and i deeply admire them for this, regardless fo my otehr opinions), that there station is a family-safe console.  its the reason Mortal Kombat was delayed for so long, and then de-violenced, and the reason Doom took forever to come out, and was also De-violenced.  but beyond that, Nintendo traditionally has made and promoted games that are SIMPLE.

by simple i do NOT mean button-mash maze crawls.  by simple i mean games that the plot, morals, themes, and overall mindset is set for little kids.  Morrowind would NEVER work on the nintendo.  why? because morrowind is a very peresonal, psychological, and deep-thinking game, soemthing that Nintendo has never done.  Halo would NEVER work on the nintendo, because the idea of realistic-looking humans on teh edge of annihilation by brain-sucking gore-fiends is way to mature for nintendo.  of course, nintedno HAS done the extremely violent games, for example Resident Evil 4 (or 5?) and the most recent Kain-vampire games, but those games were not promoted very well, and actually WERE button-mash maze crawls.

As for teh Playstation 3, i will not be buying it because of lack of cash.  Same goes for the Xbox 360.  although if i had the choice, i would go Xbox over Playstation.  i'd take Dead or Alive over Tekken anyday, Halo over whatever shooting games the PS can throw, and NFS:U over Grand Turismo.  given, Need for speed came out on both, but after playing both while i had a PS2 and didnt have an Xbox, i was more impressed with the xbox.  and also, traditionally, the Xbox has had better graphics. 

would graphics be a buying point? no.  would they be a major factor? no.  but they would break a tie.

No, id much rather have a PC anyday.  a keyboard gives you around 55 keys, not counting the arrows, numpad, and F1-F12 keys.  a mouse gives the easiers x-y lattice control, and a CRT monitor can outdo a TV anyday, IMO.  Also, look at what you get.  you get all teh big-name games taht are on all the systems, but you also get games like Uplink, Darwinia, and best of all, jets'n'Guns.  you would NEVER see anything like JnG on a console, and dont even try and argue it.

And finally, although all teh consoles offer internet for updates and free content, the PC has that in teh form of a internet connection, but you also get MODS for games, which add endless playtime.

just my 0.02

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2005, 12:00:08 pm »
this will probably get me massacred and exiled from this forum at a mere 5 posts, but here goes...

not at all... i may disagree with some of the points you said, but the fact that you backed up everything with reasons and personal experience, and kept the argument objective to all systems (rather than just bashing one), i can respect your opinion.

Smeagol

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2005, 01:23:30 pm »
Eh, I've never been up for online gaming. It's so much more fun when your friends are in the room with you... but I would play Mario Party online, and Smash Bros. :D

I'm the same way, I leave my PC for online gaming, but some of the Revoultion's online games look like they could rock.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 01:58:44 pm »
you get all teh big-name games taht are on all the systems, but you also get games like Uplink, Darwinia, and best of all, jets'n'Guns.  you would NEVER see anything like JnG on a console, and dont even try and argue it.

Actually, I could see Nintento releasing something like it. Or more correctly, a sidescrolling 2d shooter of some kind. I still doubt they'd do it, but i wouldn't be shocked if I saw it.

And we've seen games like J'n'G on consoles, I believe. I evn think my Xbox got a few sidescrollers on it. You got to love emulators...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 06:29:52 pm »
you get all teh big-name games taht are on all the systems, but you also get games like Uplink, Darwinia, and best of all, jets'n'Guns.  you would NEVER see anything like JnG on a console, and dont even try and argue it.

Actually, I could see Nintento releasing something like it. Or more correctly, a sidescrolling 2d shooter of some kind. I still doubt they'd do it, but i wouldn't be shocked if I saw it.

And we've seen games like J'n'G on consoles, I believe. I evn think my Xbox got a few sidescrollers on it. You got to love emulators...

Well the game "Alien Hominid" which was recently released on all consoles (Well I saw it for the PS2 and the XBox anyway, I'm not sure whether it is on the GameCube as well but no reason why not..) was actually created from a flash game some guy created on Newgrounds. It just illustrates the point that you can't really predict what sort of games will end up on a console, or where they'd come from.. who would have predicted that anyone would turn a little flash game someone made into a full-on console game. Okay they obviously just took the entire concept and improved their own graphics and things, wasn't just throwing it on the disc with a flash player, but it's more the transfer of the idea rather than the specific code.

Not to mention the fact that the GameCube had Ikaruga, which was a vertical scrolling space shooter and I'm sure there were others (perhaps less well known) which were available for any of the three consoles... there's no theoretical reason that Jets 'n' Guns couldn't be licensed for a console if it had the right sort of publishing support.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2005, 08:12:30 pm »
morrowind is a very peresonal, psychological, and deep-thinking game
I hate Morrowind, so I'm not going to respond to this the way I was going to. Instead I'll leave it at *snicker*.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2005, 09:25:14 pm »
I thought it'd be great, myself.  Instead I found i ttoo expanisve and TOO lifelike.. (If you don't know who to talk to F trying to figure out where to go and what to do.)

morrowind is a very peresonal, psychological, and deep-thinking game
I hate Morrowind, so I'm not going to respond to this the way I was going to. Instead I'll leave it at *snicker*.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2005, 11:06:49 pm »
Looks like somebody never read his journal u.u