Author Topic: Area 51  (Read 14244 times)

Smeagol

Re: Area 51
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2005, 01:01:59 am »
Every Sony product I've owned or used has broken in four years, no matter what it is.

PSX: Had it for 3 years, traded up for a PS2

PS2: Had it for 3.5 years (and counting) beginning to get disc read errors on most games (without a mark on them)

Old tv: Decided to give up and die 4 years after we got it.

PS2 Sony pad: Not even a day (mostly my cousin's fault though)

Offline Spiff

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2005, 02:35:27 am »
My NES is still working great, actually. The save battery on my Zelda cart also seems to hold up well. The carts themselves are real robust stuff too, one of them toppled down a staircase a long time ago and didn't even get a scratch. :p

Yeah, Magicman, nowadays it's Sony and Microsoft with their coolness and popularity that sell the consoles. To me, Nintendo have most consistenly done the best and most bar-raising games, so they're pretty much the heart of my gaming experience.

They're losing some innovativity just like everyone else, but I like them for sticking to making games with classy design that are actually fun, without relying on blood and women to sell their games. I much prefer the cutesy pastel colors and simple, innocent elegance of Yoshi's Island. :p In fact... *Goes to check the usual GameFAQs ads* Right now, it's an ad for "videogame vixens", where you appereantly can win a PSP, and the tagline is "It's the outside that matters". I think that gets my point across pretty nicely about the general state of the industry. Hm, but now I've digressed quite alot in just a single paragraph. :p

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2005, 02:47:00 am »
OH, I have distroyed Sony products, but dropping something with an LCD screen is a bad bad bad idea.. *fumes*

I've had my PS2 for three years now and the only read errors I've gotten were easily fixed by cleaning the disc.  Maybe peple drop thier PS2s and stuff, where mine's been on the shelf safewly for all three years.

Yes... people do drop their PS2 and stuff... and I can't help but to think that's why mine doesn't work anymore.

I did drop my PSX crossing the main street once. That broke it too... And I did more or less physically destroy my sound system in another incident.

I think I have a problem.

I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 07:04:53 am »
Oh, I don't mind the blood and women, but I do agree with you on they're too prolific these days.

And poor Jo looks hideous :(
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 08:31:30 am »
Back on the subject of downloadable games on the Revolution: They are probably going to be freakin expensive.  I like the idea of them, but Nintendo has a history of overcharging for old games.  Like the NES games they started selling for GBA?  $20 each, without adding new stuff.  So I'm not too hopeful for low pricing on SNES and N64 games.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2005, 08:38:07 am »
There goes my great Dragon Quest fantasy :(

Thanks a lot, Turtle.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2005, 09:00:03 am »
There goes my great Dragon Quest fantasy :(

Thanks a lot, Turtle.

That's why we'll go rob some banks, so we can afford all our old favorites.

* Turtle gets some ski masks

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2005, 06:42:45 pm »
Somewhat deviating from the original topic of the Area 51 demo, but to sum up most of the main topics.

• The Area 51 demo is pretty cool really, not the best FPS I've ever seen, but quite fun
  • Haven't seen zero as yet, hope it isn't a big pile of shit
  • There's a risk that Nintendo get the arm in over prices for older games, I hope that they won't... but I mean, no matter how much we love the older games, any price for an ancient game might seem to be too much, in the age of emulators and the like... I love the original Mario games on the NES, but I wouldn't want to be paying like (for example) a fiver apiece when I have them already in emulator format, and still have my NES.
  • All my old consoles/computers still work, including my fully functional Commodore 64 and Amiga 1200 :P

Offline not12x

• Propogating via osmosis
    • Yojne : Photography
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2005, 11:19:31 am »
But there are also many people who won't buy something because it is Nintendo; the people who call their consoles and games "kiddy".
Those are what we call morons.

Now hold up there, hombre.
there is reasonably fact to say that a GOOD PART, not all, not even a majority, but a good part of nintendo games ARE intended for the young'ns.  coming to snap judgements is no way to support an argument.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2005, 02:02:09 pm »
you could also argue that there is reasonably fact to say that a GOOD PART, not all, not even a majority, but a good part of ps2 / xbox games ARE intended for the young'ns. every console has kiddy games.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2005, 03:23:23 pm »
The accusations most often state that all of Nintendo's games and characters are kiddy, from my experience, that only little kids would play them. But how many Nintendo games are branded "early childhood"? Most are branded "everyone", which is not equal to "little kids". However, that's what most people argue is not true when they say that Nintendo games are kiddy, not that they often make games that are targeted at younger people, but which can be enjoyed by older as well.

Er... I hope that made sense. :p Generally (from my experience), the people who call Nintendo "kiddy" are the ones who play games with a content rating inversely proportional to their maturity.

Smeagol

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2005, 06:38:34 pm »
Er... I hope that made sense. :p Generally (from my experience), the people who call Nintendo "kiddy" are the ones who play games with a content rating inversely proportional to their maturity.

Or they truly believe that the GTA series are good games.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2005, 07:04:20 pm »
what about the people who love nintendo AND think the GTA series is fucking awesome?

Offline Spiff

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2005, 08:07:53 pm »
I didn't say those people did not exist.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2005, 08:14:42 pm »
i know you didnt... but smeagol pretty much did.