Author Topic: Area 51  (Read 13590 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: Area 51
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 09:18:52 pm »
With Nintendo, they'll always have at least a sliver in the market due to their hordes.

The Nintendo Hordes.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 01:06:21 pm »
zero looks like crap

"After seeing the game up close and personal, I can tell you this: forget the screenshots, forget the 45 seconds of gameplay video you saw from the MTV special, forget everything you think you know about PDZ. This is not the same game that you have seen; it's a completely different beast. The graphics were many times better than had previously been demonstrated, which helps to foster the "next-gen" look and feel of the title. The textures were incredibly detailed and fully normal mapped, the lighting effects were dazzling, and we saw some of the most spectacular explosions.

Despite our amazement, the guys from Rare were quick to point out that what we were seeing was still running on alpha development kits and only using one of the two CPU cores, at that. Rare assured us that the game will look quite a bit better than it does right now, and they actually have some very advanced effects and more detailed textures that are already in the engine and ready to go. They're just waiting on final Xbox 360 hardware kits."

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=25956

That makes it sound more hopeful...
But does she look like a plausible human female? In all the renders/screens she has some serious problems with proportions and looks really silly. I hope they end up with something closer to the orginal model.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Spiff

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 03:28:10 pm »
I agree with Ankle, it doesn't look one bit like the good ol' Jo. I find it hard to imagine that a soldier would be successful in combat with hair hanging down in front of her eyes, and being unable to even see her feet due to her proportions. In my point of view, Rare are going downhill if they'd rather appeal to the teenage male demographic than create a realistic female character. What happened to the company that made Banjo-Kazooie?

Interesting topic - From Area 51 to Perfect Dark, downloading games on the Revolution, the 360 and PDZ. :p

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 03:34:03 pm »
The fanboys exist for every system.  Me, I like the RPGs so I"m pretty square on the "PS2" bandwagon right now.

I nearly laughed hard enough to fall off of my chair when I heard someone (Official Xbox magazene I think) Say that "The slate of quality RPGs on the Xbox has made it the system of choice for the genere."  or words to that effect...

What quality RPGS?  Morrowind?  That sucked... FAble?  That was about as crippled promise wise as a dog with no legs... Um.. DnD HEros?  Diablo clones are not RPGs.... (I don't care if they're "Action RPGs"  They're not the kind of RPGs I like to play.)

I could go on, but you get the gist.

On the other hand, the number of quality FPSs, which I do occaisonally like, on the PS2 can be counted on one hand.. and I can't even think of any right now...

And as to Miss Dark's new look.. you're talking about the company that debued thier latest system on MTV.. need I really say more?

With Nintendo, they'll always have at least a sliver in the market due to their hordes.

The Nintendo Hordes.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 06:32:04 pm »
But does she look like a plausible human female? In all the renders/screens she has some serious problems with proportions and looks really silly. I hope they end up with something closer to the orginal model.

it's an fps... if the look of the main character is pivotal on whether or not the game is good, then there's something really wrong. personally i'm really excited about PDZ, mainly because i've been waiting to play a great looking shooter on my HDTV. Of all the company's around today, Rare have, imo, the best track-record at releasing consistantly FUN games. i'm sure this will be no exception.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 09:39:28 pm »
The fanboys exist for every system.  Me, I like the RPGs so I"m pretty square on the "PS2" bandwagon right now.
Yeah, but I've never heard someone say they wouldn't buy something because it "isn't Sony", or "isn't Microsoft", while I have, in all seriousness, heard many many people say they wouldn't buy things because it's "not Nintendo".
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 01:35:13 am »
I've heard some people(me) say they wouldn't buy the PS3 because Sony are lying scum suckers.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 04:17:35 am »
That's not the same.

Smeagol

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 12:38:43 pm »
No, but the base idea is the same. Sony have been lying through their teeth all along, which is why you've never heard someone say they won't buy something because it's not Sony (might also have to do with the durability of most of their products).

Offline Spiff

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2005, 09:05:23 pm »
it's an fps... if the look of the main character is pivotal on whether or not the game is good, then there's something really wrong.

How many girls would buy a game where the main character is modeled solely to objectify their gender, and where the advertisements and concept models strengthen such an image of the game? Alienating consumer groups is not a good idea. But even if it made a minimal significance, why make Jo a mangling of human anatomy? What's wrong with a plain-looking woman like in PD? Probably to attract more male consumers.

Anyway, Rare have made some absolutely brilliant games so far, but let's hope they fired the people who designed Starfox Adventures before they got to work on PDZ... well, that's my opinion, at least. :p

Magicman, maybe it's because Nintendo have been around for so long that they've gathered such a following, and they're often cherished for their innovative products. But there are also many people who won't buy something because it is Nintendo; the people who call their consoles and games "kiddy".

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2005, 09:38:59 pm »
Magicman, maybe it's because Nintendo have been around for so long that they've gathered such a following
Well, yeah. I don't see many people who "play Nintendo" nowadays, especially not the kids who are just getting into gaming. In my experience (and this is the key phrase here), it's the Sony and Microsoft products that get kids into gaming, and the Nintendo that comes as an afterthought.

, and they're often cherished for their innovative products.
I think (another key phrase) that Nintendo are too mired in the mindset that they need to have something great and different. I'm not saying great and different is bad, but in the past few years Nintendo has been on about how everything they do must be great and different. To be honest, I miss the old days of Nintendo where they just concentrated on making fun games, instead of trying to think up a great and different fun game that, for me, too often misses its mark.

And wtf are they thinking with the Gameboy Micro?

But there are also many people who won't buy something because it is Nintendo; the people who call their consoles and games "kiddy".
Those are what we call morons.

And as for that "Sony are lying scum suckers" deal, well... that thing was posted on GameFAQs forums. I'd take it with a grain of salt. I also read on GameSpot that some Unreal man said the PS3 was amazingly easy to develop for. Do I believe it? Not completely. In any case, I'm not rich, so I'll have to get it after the price drops anyway. I will say though, that I've never been happy with Sony press releases. They don't make me go, "wow, cool! I want one," like Nintendo ones do. I guess the Shigster's just more charismatic.

In conclusion, I hereby challenge all of you to Mario Party Online, and once I beat you you'll forget about how many contradictions I made in this post.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2005, 10:21:52 pm »
I've had my PS2 for three years now and the only read errors I've gotten were easily fixed by cleaning the disc.  Maybe peple drop thier PS2s and stuff, where mine's been on the shelf safewly for all three years.

No, but the base idea is the same. Sony have been lying through their teeth all along, which is why you've never heard someone say they won't buy something because it's not Sony (might also have to do with the durability of most of their products).
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 10:42:04 pm »
Oh, I also forgot to brag about the fact that all of my Sony products have worked perfectly - including my first-run PS2. I've never had a console break on me.

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2005, 10:47:35 pm »
I've had my PS2 for three years now and the only read errors I've gotten were easily fixed by cleaning the disc.  Maybe peple drop thier PS2s and stuff, where mine's been on the shelf safewly for all three years.

Yes... people do drop their PS2 and stuff... and I can't help but to think that's why mine doesn't work anymore.

I did drop my PSX crossing the main street once. That broke it too... And I did more or less physically destroy my sound system in another incident.

I think I have a problem.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 10:49:09 pm by Layson Juravis »
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2005, 12:15:29 am »
My first run PS1 went a bit whacky at times. but it still mroe or less worked right up till the end