Author Topic: Area 51  (Read 14246 times)

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
Area 51
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:16:14 am »
The demo for Area 51 is out now.  It's a pretty decent looking FPS.  Sort of generic at times, but it has some great moments.  Visiting the set of the faked moon landing in Area 51, hearing outtakes of NASA transmissions...  Fun stuff.  Looks like it has potential to be a game worth playing.

Offline Spiff

Re: Area 51
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:27:29 am »
I hardly think it'll run on my computer, so I'll have to be content with playing the Area 51 mission in Perfect Dark.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:53:30 am »
Downloading the torrent...
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:28:20 am »
It's been out on Xbox/PS2 for a while now, guys.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 05:49:14 am »
Yeah, but FPS are always better on PC.

It's a law.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lexx

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 06:11:35 am »
I've seen my brother play it on the PS2, while the graphics don't look amazing he claims the single player is good fun, if a little frustrating at times, and the multiplayer is "fucking awsome".

Lx.

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 06:44:28 am »
The graphics are pretty nice.  Nothing mind-blowing, but good nonetheless.  The physics engine isn't anything amazing either.  Still, it's well-rounded, and shooting the aliens is fun.  That's what it all comes down to.

...Still, I'd rather be playing the Area 51 level in Perfect Dark.  Curse you, broken N64.

* Turtle crosses fingers for PD: Zero

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 06:48:28 am »
zero looks like crap

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 07:41:45 am »
What?  You don't have twenty five bucks to buy a new one?

:P

http://www.8bitclassics.com/product_info.php?cPath=73_132&products_id=449

(boy that's overpriced...)

The graphics are pretty nice.  Nothing mind-blowing, but good nonetheless.  The physics engine isn't anything amazing either.  Still, it's well-rounded, and shooting the aliens is fun.  That's what it all comes down to.

...Still, I'd rather be playing the Area 51 level in Perfect Dark.  Curse you, broken N64.

* Turtle crosses fingers for PD: Zero
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 10:44:59 am »
http://www.8bitclassics.com/product_info.php?cPath=73_132&products_id=449

Product not found.

But yeah.  My wallet could afford it, but I don't think I could get my hands to get used to that thing ever again.  I was one of those people that held the side handles all the time, never the middle one.  It made sense at the time, but it just doesn't feel right anymore.  Neither does holding the middle.  *sigh*

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:35 am »
This is why the Revolution will be a godsend, I think.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 05:15:57 pm »
zero looks like crap

"After seeing the game up close and personal, I can tell you this: forget the screenshots, forget the 45 seconds of gameplay video you saw from the MTV special, forget everything you think you know about PDZ. This is not the same game that you have seen; it's a completely different beast. The graphics were many times better than had previously been demonstrated, which helps to foster the "next-gen" look and feel of the title. The textures were incredibly detailed and fully normal mapped, the lighting effects were dazzling, and we saw some of the most spectacular explosions.

Despite our amazement, the guys from Rare were quick to point out that what we were seeing was still running on alpha development kits and only using one of the two CPU cores, at that. Rare assured us that the game will look quite a bit better than it does right now, and they actually have some very advanced effects and more detailed textures that are already in the engine and ready to go. They're just waiting on final Xbox 360 hardware kits."

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=25956

That makes it sound more hopeful...

Lexx

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 06:50:46 pm »
This is why the Revolution will be a godsend, I think.

I wonder if there's gunna be a way to download the game you already own for free.. unlikely hough. :/

Lx.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 07:15:04 pm »
How do you prove that you own them? :p It's been announced that downloading old games will not be free though, but you could recieve old games for free when buying new ones in the same series (like, buy a Metroid game and get (download?) a bunch of older Metroid games).

If Nintendo were smart, they'd let people freely download as much NES, SNES and N64 games they wanted, for as a minimal cost as possible. I don't think a corporation that big would be that generous, but here's hoping. :p

Smeagol

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 07:18:05 pm »
If Nintendo were smart, they'd let people freely download as much NES, SNES and N64 games they wanted, for as a minimal cost as possible. I don't think a corporation that big would be that generous, but here's hoping. :p

With Nintendo you don't know though. Sony and Microsoft would overcharge like a bitch, but with Nintendo.. If they do it right they could claw back the ground they lost by not feature-fucking the Cube.