Author Topic: Advertising and Promoting Masu....?  (Read 13378 times)

Offline Pod

• Zzzzzaaaaap
Advertising and Promoting Masu....?
« on: June 19, 2005, 07:10:29 pm »
Machinae are a seriously underrated band, so I think they deserve to be heard by a lot more people. How do you guys go about doing this? I keep pimping it to people, giving them free links to all the lovely music, but they never seen to follow them up...

Smeagol

Re: Advertising and Promoting Masu....?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 07:58:43 pm »
Bandwear helpsa bt.

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 08:30:22 pm »
all my friends know about them now, and some of them like machinae. i show people stepmania and jetsnguns, and then pwople ask: "hey, this musi kicks ass, who are they" :)

also, i found this , but ive never seen it before. i think neil put it together.

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 08:51:39 pm »
any time i visit a forum and find a "fav artist" thread i try to leave a link to a couple of songs, not many people pay attention cause they're usually too involved in what they want to recommend, but occasionally a few people follow the links and check em out.

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 09:57:43 pm »
Yeah, wearing band gear isn't a bad way to go about doing things, it's really just a matter of looking for opportunities to slip a reference into a conversation. Any mention of a music discussion or cool bands is an ideal opportunity to point people in the direction of Machinae ;)

I think it's also a good idea to plug the whole "LEGAL music downloads!" angle, because sometimes people get concerned about downloading off the net. It's a good thing to say that MaSu have generously provided a metric fuckton of free downloads that you can go and easily check out without any money, illegality, effort or hassle. The 'effort and risk free' aspect I find tends to be a good selling point; even if they don't like the music (burn them for their heresy! *ahem*) it's no loss to them to try it out.

If you have your own 'web presence', be it your own site, a friend's site, a journal, a forum profile, or anything of the like, just throw a link or a banner in, to point people in the right direction; you never know how many people will notice and go check it out.

Beyond that, I guess you could always burn some CDs of the free songs or make up some flyers advertising the site for your friends, or to leave lying around at parties, school, or other social gatherings... :P

Offline The_Arexons

• Erm... hi
    • My DA site
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 10:52:22 pm »
Well, I have the deus ex machinae cover on my notebook. People at school always ask what's "mach--Machinaê Supremacý", and I say that it is a great band. During the break I always listen to the album on my port cd player. One time I girl came and listened to Earthbound and liked, but just that.

I try to promote sending music through msn, recomending the site. I talk about it on deviantART and when someone asks me to burn a cd with Nightwish and LP music, for example, I always put a special "Hero" mp3 together xD

It's hard, though, to spread the word
The Brazilian MaSu fan!

Smeagol

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 10:59:43 pm »
You could take the anti-social bitch approach.

Step 1: Many speakers & good amps
Step 2: Shove the volume up as far as it goes.
Step 3: Machinae-only playlist.
Step 4: Begin.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 11:20:03 pm »
BloodAngel managed to get one in succesfully. We were listening to WoW Radio (http://www.wcradio.com), and Blood typed into the IRC channel ~thinks everyone should listen to Machinae Supremacy~
The presenter replied ~agrees~
Blood asked if he listened to MaSu?
The presenter replied, No.

But then the next day we heard March of the Undead on there! He'd evidently searched and downloaded stuff  ;D Success!

Smeagol

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 11:21:34 pm »
How big a fanbase does that radio station have on average?

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 11:22:37 pm »
Oooooooh. 7?

I dunno really, but it must be decent because they're releaseing a CD of all the best bits (of talk shows and features, etc)

Offline Pod

• Zzzzzaaaaap
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 01:40:53 am »
What's the first song you show to people?
I remember Robert said he wouldn't show people Super Steve or Player One, even though they're the two free DXM tracks!

What do you guys recommend? I usually, and inadvertently, over-link people, causing them to panic and not download any :P

Up until I got DXM I always showed them the JNG theme track, ESPECIALLY if I knew they liked  playing games :)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 02:31:52 am »
I usually link people to Anthem Apocalyptica and March of the Undead.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 03:29:19 am »
I don't play EVE Online anymore but I know at least one person on these forums does. Ever try and get masu on EVE Radio? It has a pretty big user base of EVE players.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Smeagol

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 09:23:44 pm »
Hero, Winterstorm for linking. If that doesn't work then nothing's likely to.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 10:41:30 pm »
IIRC Machinae has been played on my school radio...
It has about 10 listeners...

SLAY radio is mucho bigger though.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii