Author Topic: Trying to define MaSu  (Read 24595 times)

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
Re: Trying to define MaSu
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2005, 09:42:20 am »
How the hell can find anything in a folder hierarchy based on genre...

I have it like this.
music
   artist
       album
          song

So when I want to find something I just need the first letter of the artist name and press load. If it was sorted under genres I'd have to search through folder by folder cursing the system trying to figure out what the fuck I sorted it under.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2005, 10:58:01 am »
I am perfectly open to suggestons, however. Feel free to fire away.

15 Key bands  (based on ratings)

* Dream Theater
    * Pain of Salvation
    * Queensryche
    * Symphony X
    * Ayreon
    * Opeth
    * Fates Warning
    * Threshold
    * Angra
    * Tool
    * Liquid Tension Experiment
    * Savatage
    * Shadow Gallery
    * Evergrey
    * Psychotic Waltz

taken from http://www.progarchives.com/

any bands there you like?
I like Angra, but they are more power metal than progressive. I don't mind Symphony X for the most part but I do get a bit bored listening to them from time to time more often now.

Evergrey I see is on my list of stuff thats a pain to find. I'm looking around for the rest of them now. Need more comphensive torrent sites for metal, and uh, seeders.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2005, 12:45:27 am »
I have incredible difficulty describing my favorites of my music collection. I ca'nt define Machinae, Mad Caps, Mansun, Deadsy. Then it gets easier as we move into nu-metal and emo... Linkin Park, lostprophets, PM5K, Jimmy Eat World. Then there's Rammstein and Static-X. And then we moved into J-rock: Metronome, L'Arc en Ciel, Janne Da Arc...

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2005, 03:15:24 am »
Someone once commented on the fact I have Supertramp, Michael Jackson, and Iron Maiden on my iPod.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2005, 06:56:05 pm »
Quote from: Audioscrobbler

Yeah Findil, your musical taste is awful, what about mixing Green Day with Iron Maiden and Blink-182 with Metallica? What the hell are you? a Heavy-pop-punker?

Lexx

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2005, 08:03:02 pm »
I have it like this.

I have it..

Music
   Artist
      [Year] Album
         Track Number - Song title

My Mp3s are meticulously organised. :P

Lx.

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2005, 08:15:16 pm »
I have it like this.

I have it..

Music
   Artist
      [Year] Album
         Track Number - Song title

My Mp3s are meticulously organised. :P

Lx.

That's definately the best way to go about doing things, I have a very similar system, but somewhat more verbose on the labelling front:

Music
    Artist
        Artist - Year - Album
            Artist - Track Number - Title

I prefer it like that because it means you can throw files into other directories, make up quick compilations, and if they ever get separated you still know what the hell you're dealing with :P If you are meticulous enough to keep your id3 tags accurate and get a proper program that does the work for you, it's a fairly moot point because it's absolutely trivial to shuffle around and change. I recommend "Tag & Rename" for labelling files, awesome little program. If it can't find the album on CDDB (because a song is missing, the tracks are in the wrong order, or the version of the album is slightly different from what's on CDDB) you can look up Amazon from within the program, and it can grab the album data from there.. bit more involved because you have to fill the gaps and put everything in the right order, but ultimately easy to do and makes the job of labelling files so much simpler. :D

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2005, 08:20:17 pm »
If you are meticulous enough to keep your id3 tags accurate
That sounds like you're not. And, heh heh, of course you are.

* Magicman pulls out rusty knife

Right?
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lexx

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2005, 08:28:06 pm »
can't find the album on CDDB (because a song is missing, the tracks are in the wrong order, or the version of the album is slightly different from what's on CDDB) you can look up Amazon from within the program, and it can grab the

You might be interested in http://musicbrainz.org/, it's similar to CDDB but I find it a lot more useful.

Lx.

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2005, 08:30:41 pm »
If you are meticulous enough to keep your id3 tags accurate
That sounds like you're not. And, heh heh, of course you are.

* Magicman pulls out rusty knife

Right?

Whichever answer *doesn't* translate to "please stab me in the face with a rusty blade" :P

I spent a fucking age and a day when I first found T&R to go through all my music and make sure every single damn file was properly tagged, so now every time I get something new, I just tag it as I go. T&R is easy for that anyway, all you have to do is select all, click CDDB, click "Get Titles" on the applicable album if there's more than one choice, click "Write tags" to write all the id3.. then T&R automatically remembers the last format you chose to label your files, so you just click 'Rename' and it takes the info from the id3 tags. Infinately easier than manually renaming everything and still ending up with no tags at the end :P

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2005, 08:31:38 pm »
can't find the album on CDDB (because a song is missing, the tracks are in the wrong order, or the version of the album is slightly different from what's on CDDB) you can look up Amazon from within the program, and it can grab the

You might be interested in http://musicbrainz.org/, it's similar to CDDB but I find it a lot more useful.

Lx.

Yeah, I've heard of MB although I haven't really used it much.. not so much arguing for better or worse, just that Tag & Rename gives you the option of checking CDDB or Amazon for id3 tags. :)

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2005, 08:33:20 pm »
I just reinstalled my PC and use Musicbrainz for tagging my music collection. Wonder how long that lasts...

Lexx

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2005, 09:39:17 pm »
Tag & Rename

Linky, please?

Anyway, I tend to use the "Edit selected items..." option in the Winamp library  (good when filenames are correct) and manual edititing when needed.

Might not be the most effeciant of ways but it gets the job done[1]. :P

Lx.

[1] p.s. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to MP3 tags..

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2005, 09:52:13 pm »
Whichever answer *doesn't* translate to "please stab me in the face with a rusty blade"
That'd be "yes" :D