Author Topic: have you been to MbD lately?  (Read 11423 times)

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
Re: have you been to MbD lately?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 01:45:21 pm »
We've considered packing in box like material and that would slightly improve matters but would double the costs of postage and packaging and with price being of primary concern its not feasable to change it.
Packaging in a box wouldn't help as far as I can tell from my experience. My experience with DVD and CD cases that go through the mail is that you will almost always end up with a cracked case or more in a box. (USPS is really good at it, probably the best. They've managed to beat the shit out of everything I ever ordered from the states and deliver it late. Thankfully when I ordered from MBD it arrived in perfect condition, particularly impressive for it being in a padded envelop and not some sort of reinforced nano-carbon case. Props to the British Airmail service.)
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2005, 12:52:02 am »
Ähm, just so by the way: Am I the only German User in the Board??!

No, Bateman is and I think there are some others as well.

¿Qué? ¡Señor Bateman no entiende!

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2005, 06:07:35 pm »
The packaging ultimately means bugger all in the grand scheme of things.. provided there's *some* form of padding around it, that's basically the best you can do. A friend of mine knew someone who worked for Royal Mail, and he said that when they have one of those big trucks full to the roof with parcels, as often as not, they would basically climb up on top of everything, and just start shoving boxes off the edge with their feet, or throwing them out. Didn't matter a damn if you had something fundamentally fragile in there, they were still gonna land in someone's arms or on the ground from a good 12 feet up :P Not every depot will be like that of course, but it doesn't matter how well something is packed if it's gonna get treated like shit on the way there...

Smeagol

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 06:09:50 pm »
The packaging ultimately means bugger all in the grand scheme of things.. provided there's *some* form of padding around it, that's basically the best you can do. A friend of mine knew someone who worked for Royal Mail, and he said that when they have one of those big trucks full to the roof with parcels, as often as not, they would basically climb up on top of everything, and just start shoving boxes off the edge with their feet, or throwing them out. Didn't matter a damn if you had something fundamentally fragile in there, they were still gonna land in someone's arms or on the ground from a good 12 feet up :P

Why am I not suprised?

Offline XeRXeS

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 09:20:41 pm »
The packaging ultimately means bugger all in the grand scheme of things.. provided there's *some* form of padding around it, that's basically the best you can do. A friend of mine knew someone who worked for Royal Mail, and he said that when they have one of those big trucks full to the roof with parcels, as often as not, they would basically climb up on top of everything, and just start shoving boxes off the edge with their feet, or throwing them out. Didn't matter a damn if you had something fundamentally fragile in there, they were still gonna land in someone's arms or on the ground from a good 12 feet up :P

Why am I not suprised?

Because I'm talking about Royal Mail, that veritable beacon of mediocrity :P

Offline DivineImpurity13

• OMG IT'S ddrdude13! ^^
    • My deviantART!
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 02:38:23 am »
All of my cases were in fine condition... But, if I cracked it, I just grabbed an old CD, popped it apart, and swapped out the pics and CD. ;D

Everything is great so far. But the new MaSu albu NEEDS to come out. Ghost only made the wait harder.
- . : |How could I ever go back to the life where I lived amongst the dead?| : . -
~Illusions (Shadows Are Security Version) by As I Lay Dying~

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2005, 03:02:23 am »
yeah i did that too. then i lost it on a bus

(tee hee its been too long since i brought that up)

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2005, 12:22:20 pm »
The packaging ultimately means bugger all in the grand scheme of things.. provided there's *some* form of padding around it, that's basically the best you can do. A friend of mine knew someone who worked for Royal Mail, and he said that when they have one of those big trucks full to the roof with parcels, as often as not, they would basically climb up on top of everything, and just start shoving boxes off the edge with their feet, or throwing them out. Didn't matter a damn if you had something fundamentally fragile in there, they were still gonna land in someone's arms or on the ground from a good 12 feet up :P Not every depot will be like that of course, but it doesn't matter how well something is packed if it's gonna get treated like shit on the way there...

I can actually vouch for that myself since i have worked for Royal Mail many moons ago.

MDX

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2005, 12:27:42 pm »
Ähm, just so by the way: Am I the only German User in the Board??!

No, Bateman is and I think there are some others as well.

¿Qué? ¡Señor Bateman no entiende!

LOL