Author Topic: The Ultimate TV Thread... of, uhhh... Doom...  (Read 15225 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
The Ultimate TV Thread... of, uhhh... Doom...
« on: June 03, 2005, 10:25:28 pm »
lalala... here we post what TV shows we're watching / have watched and add our thoughts on them and stuff.

okey... recently watched:

Veronica Mars (Season 1): Absolutely fan-bloody-tastic show, only been on in the US... try to download some episodes. it's about a girl in high-school who works as a private-eye and solves crimes and stuff, i know that makes it sound completely shit but it's actually fucking good and the main plot progresses really rapidly and it constantly makes you think.

Lost (Season 1): Ended recently (as did Veronica Mars), i already know that quite a few people here were watching it. words can't really describe how good it is.

24 (Season 4): a lot better than season 3 but ended crappily.

Scrubs (Season 4): ended a few weeks ago... i'm a Scrubs fanatic, have every single episode on my hardrive... great stuffs.

The OC (season 2): avoid at all costs... big pile of steaming shit... i watched every episode waiting for something interesting to happen... never did.

EDIT: better add American Dad (hey, that rhymes ;D)... cartoon by the makers of Family Guy, absolutely hysterical... first 4 episodes are widely available via bittorrent.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 10:28:22 pm by SomethingGood »

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
Re: The Ultimate TV Thread... of, uhhh... Doom...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 10:41:24 pm »
Excellent idea. :P Spoilers may lurk ahead, so proceed with caution. I'll try to use the white text feature for potentially spoilery material.

Lost (Season 1): OMG, the hatch is open! and we've seen like 5% of the monster. And we know it is some kind of security system. Awesome show, but what I fear is what I dub the "X-Files-Effect". The closer the X-Files got to "the truth", the crappier the show became. I hope it doesn't happen with Lost.

Numb3rs (Season 1): Just picked it up because it had some 1337 in it's title. Math genius helps his FBI brother to solve crimes. Sounds cheap, but the show is really great. Fast-paced FBI investigation action plus interesting geek math gibberish. Also great main characters.

CSI. The season finale. Quentin Tarantino. Brilliance. He made the characters shine like fucking diamonds.

CSI New York. I like that it's a tad darker than the other CSI series with all those problem laden characters. "Uh, my wife died in 9/11!" - "I'm an orphan!"...

They didn't renew Carnivale for a third season. *shakes fist*

And, of course, Family Guy and American Dad...

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:43:38 pm »
Lost (Season 1): Ended recently (as did Veronica Mars), i already know that quite a few people here were watching it. words can't really describe how good it is.

Actually, they can. The words needed are "promising", "raised", "Exodus", "it", "beginning", "lost", "its", "but", "season", "interest","much", "my", "potential", "really", "ending", "again", "throughout", "was", "the", "of", "though" and "in".

These can then be used to form the sentences

"It was really promising in the beginning, but it lost much of its potential throughout the season. The season ending, Exodus, raised my interest again, though."

Which pretty much sums it up.

The long version:

The first couple of episodes really worked me up, but then they turned it from a nice little horror concept to some sort of drama. Around episode 10, I think, they manage to revitalize it a bit, and the plot with Ethan and the baby was interesting, and so was the Rosseau subplot (Saheds trip through the jungle). The Locke-Boone coupling, and their exploits, were also slightly interesting. Still, after Ethan and Rosseau, the show starts losing my interest, and by the time they reach episode 20, I'm actually a week or so behind in watching the episodes. After episode 21, I go for some weeks without watching the show, until I went through episodes 22-25 in two settings this week.

Oh, and Srubs. You GOT to love Scrubs. Even though our belowed Dr. Dorian is a really big wuss at times, and I feel sorry for him (recently watched the episode were Elliot, after being told by this other girl that the right guy was "the guy who was there for you", decided to drop her boyfriend, who's in New Zealand, and go for JD instead. They have sex, and as Elliot is about to leave, the boyfriend shows up).

Oh, and did you know that according to several medical people, Scrubs might be the most realistic hospital series around?

One of the best series around, in my opinion, is Farscape. Sure, it's over, but it was really, really, really great. It deserves an honourable mention in any thread about TV series...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 10:52:46 pm by Torp »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 07:58:16 am »
I don't watch TV but I do buy DVDs. Currently watching ST:TNG season 5. I <3 my Star Trek.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 12:43:55 pm »
TV? Why TV? Why? When there is Warcraft on my computer? Foolish humans.

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 01:26:21 pm »
stargate atlantis
lost
startrek

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 01:43:03 pm »
Yeah, July 15th the second Seasons of Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica start.

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 02:10:33 pm »
oyeah : im waiting for them to download

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 01:18:27 pm »
I don't want this thread to die off, so I'll say something controversial:

I liked the Enterprise series finale.

The symbolism alone that the last episode of the show is basically the subplot of a TNG episode says it all. And Archer's speech being the intro of TOS and TNG was a nice idea. A worthy ending for a flawed show which nevertheless had it's moments.

chompy

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 01:33:43 pm »
Shows I'm watching, i'll be quick cause head hurts

Family Guy - cartoon
FireFly - not cartoon, Western type of sci-fi
Topgear - not cartoon, enlglish car show; with really bad accents(lol bad)
Lost - not cartoon, not like lord of the flies or the one with tom hanks in it
Naruto - not cartoon, anime
Shaman King - not cartoon, anime
Futurama - cartoon

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 02:45:51 pm »
anyone seen the latest episode of Family Guy (series 4 episode 4, i think)? fucking hilarious ;D

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 06:09:46 pm »
I haven't watched TV in five years.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 06:35:34 pm »
i never watch tv... that's what bittorrent is for.

Smeagol

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 07:04:43 pm »
I've only been watching the new Dr.Who series with any regularity. It's not too bad, but doesn't match any of Tom Baker's series'

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 08:21:44 pm »
i usually only watch viva la bam.

its so hilarious