Author Topic: Gaming Monthly: June 2005  (Read 12131 times)

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
Gaming Monthly: June 2005
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:10:37 am »
It's June. It's the start of summer. Everyone should be going outside in the sun, getting nekkid and getting a tan...

So, what computer games are playing?

I do'nt think you'll need half an attempt at guessing what Iv'e been playing.... :P

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
Re: Gaming Monthly: June 2005
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:14:38 am »
Masturbatin' naked in the sun?
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:28:43 am »
I've been studying for exams.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 02:51:19 am »
I've been studying for exams.

pwned.

Jedi Academy (the urge has returned)
Baldur's Gate series again (see above)

chompy

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 07:16:53 am »
Guildwars, trackmainia thats about it

prolly looking at getting GTA:SA for the PC this month.

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 08:52:54 am »
Still WoW and some CoDUO when i have some spare time :D

Im on the bloodscalp server on the horde side.. FOR THE HORDE!

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 05:07:16 pm »
I gots me some Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the PC which is a lot of fun.

Not playing as much Guild Wars as I'd like but I dont really have the time at the minute.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:46:15 pm »
It's June. It's the start of summer. Everyone should be going outside in the sun, getting nekkid and getting a tan...

So, what computer games are playing?
Naked, outside, /sun/?! I'd burst into flames. No thanks.

I've been playing a bit of Guild Wars but I haven't had alot of time to do much. I've spent most of working on the new LiteStep site and laying around watching ST:TNG.

I wish there was more games to play but since ~2000 gaming has been incredably dull. Nothing interesting or fun seems to be released anymore, its all the same stuff with better graphics and worse gameplay/story each time around. :\

I smolder with generic rage towards the gaming industry.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 11:19:28 pm »
Digital Devil Saga is pretty leet.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 11:45:12 pm »

you seem to be doing that alot recently

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 07:48:58 am »

you seem to be doing that alot recently
Doing what? Smoldering? I hate that sunlight :(
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

chompy

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 04:24:15 pm »
I agree 80% with the comments made by Ankl0r that most of the games are crap for a while now. But I've been playing lots of Trackmania (the original and the second one) and Guildwars; both games are very fun and addictive.

Until I played Guildwars, Red Alert was the only game to cause me to play >1 hours after I decide to get off the computer. Addictive to the max. Trackmania has pretty graphics byt focuses mainly on gameplay, you the track and a massive amount of quick fun.

Sunlight *Narrrrrrr*.....

Offline Spiff

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 07:09:37 pm »
I don't play any new computer games. Though I'm on my fourth (yes, fourth...) playthrough of Tales of Symphonia on the cube. Incredible story, if a bit confusing the first time... Zelos is my soulmate this time.

Come to think of it, the latest computer games me and my brother bought were System Shock 2 and Quake 3. There' just nothing new that interests me much anymore. Instead, I mostly play older games, or games that don't require a render farm to play. I also replay my old games alot. Maybe I'll get Darwinia though, the demo was fun. Or Jets'n'Guns. :)

Someday, I think the gaming industry will backlash, and people will actually grow tired of the ultraviolent shooters, cliche RPGs, marginally rehashed sports games, busty women, and having to buy new computers and consoles all the time. Eventually the development costs will rise so ridiculously high (just to make the graphics prettier for every game), the industry giants and their game-making staff can't afford it anymore. Already now, most can't afford releasing big games that try something new, because they cost so much to make. But that's a little harsh, because there are still interesting games being made.

Have you read this by the way? I don't agree with everything, but the very most of it.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 12:13:01 am »
That article is full of shit.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 02:38:32 am »
That article is full of shit.
If by shit you mean sarcasm and cynicism.

I read the article when it was on /. (Yes I RTFA ...Sometimes. :P) and he raises a a lot of good points and I agree on some of it, some of it is also really silly. It seems to be written from a perspective that he, as a gamer, knows better than developers who are also gamers. I see this a lot with my friends when they talk about how they could make the best games ever unlike the shitty stuff that always comes out. Its a lot more work than they think to implement their 'wonderful' ideas which are often not; most of them are downright bad and would never work. Not to mention most of my friends ideas of great games are just killing aimlessly and doing the same thing over and over. (Such as playing DMC/DMC2/DMC3 over and over to obtain perfect ratings and unlock everything and then continuing to play anyway just because they can kill more stuff the same way over and over. Or aimlessly grinding away doing the same thing in Lineage II over and over just to start another character part way and repeat and then complain its boring and lame followed by continuing to play it anyway.) *shudders*

The way I see it is that the publishers are wanting more and more graphically advanced games with shitty licensed popular music to appeal to joe average to make yet more money. Much like hollywood, only they don't have to pay people nearly as much as there is an nearly inexhaustible supply of willing workers to replace those who have a problem with it. Then there are the risks of innovation, they [the publishers] do not want to take them. They want to stick to the true and tried formulas that work over and over. Why fix it if it isn't broken? Why even bother to improve anything? Infact, lets just make it crappier and upgrade the graphics and throw some new awful music into it. The publishers are entirely to blame, ATi and nVidia constantly are trying to push the latest and great on us every six months which in turn the gamers drool all over themselves for and demand more stuff that looks as good.

Will we ever see good games other than the rare one or two every few years? Probably never again; I don't think so anyway. I myself, don't plan to buy very many games anymore, not that I have bought that many in the last five years. I mostly seem to spend my money on hardware to play... Games? Oh the irony, I don't even play anything remotely new very often. I'd just like to have games run really good in a high resolution when I do play them. All one or two games a year now, meh.