Author Topic: Gaming Monthly: June 2005  (Read 11724 times)

Offline Spiff

Re: Gaming Monthly: June 2005
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 03:04:14 am »
Yes, well the article is pretty odd in some parts (he questions the existance of survival horror games, wooden crates and stuff) but considering the extremely un-serious and sarcastic stuff on the rest of that site, that's got to be the most serious article that guy's written. :p

And I agree with Ankle's post. Games are going the way of Hollywood. But it's also easy to critiscize the game giants, but you can't do something better yourself.  Innovativeness belongs in small companies with small production teams (Darwinia and Uplink were made by three people), or on simple consoles (like the Gameboy consoles) where games don't cost alot to produce.

I actually spend more time making games than playing them, now. Working on a little side-project, a Tetris+Jetpack+Solomon's Key puzzle game hybrid, at the moment. :p

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 12:46:06 pm »
I'll tell you a little story.

Some friends of mine are hoping to go into game design. One of them is really serious about it and has made a "company" he calls Studio Trophis - he and friends have already tried their hand at point'n'click, and simple designed games but with big ideas. He found out about a UK-wide competition where groups would have to present a game idea to a board, and if theirs was chosen they would go up to Scotland for a few weeks in the summer, get given the funding and computing required and create this game, which would compete against other groups from other UK regions.

The idea was brilliant. A game where you create the world you live in. You draw an item, color it in and it becomes part of your world. You could customize anything about yourself, your world, even the music you were listening to. All from a plain white base, your imagination could create anything.

He had the ideas, he even had read on on the ways he could do this. He was sure the board would like it, because it was so damn original. A game designed for any player: any age, any sex, any interest. They made they're presentation, made sure they could explain how it would be possible to create and went to the board.

When they came back they were too happpy with how it had gone. The presentation was fine! But unfortunately the board consisted of people from Microsoft, EA, etc. All these people would ask is: "So, it's like Half-Life where you can select different items?" "No, not at all." "So, it's like The Sims where you can influence characters lives in a world?" "No, it isn't." "So, it's like SimCity where you can control all aspects and see what happens?" "No, no."

The board was so narrow-minded, they could not get the concept through to them. They weren't selected. Probably some group that wanted to make a copy of Half-Life won - we don't know, but it's likely.

Smeagol

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 06:56:19 pm »
It's the way the gaming industry is going now. Following the likes of the RIAA and Hollywood into the gutter.  Originality has been stamped out for increased profits and shiny graphics. As Ankle said, only one or two original and good games are coming a year. Spore looks to be one of them, although I wouldn't be suprised if it was released early with a stupid number of bugs.

Offline Armakuni

• ARMAKUNI [SAYS]
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 09:52:10 pm »
*remembers the first time his weary eyes saw the C64*

ohh boy, i could sit infront of that piece of wonder for 15 hours without moving (NO joke) this im trying to do with WoW, but school consumes a lot of time but i try to play as much as i can :/  oh and when my parents bought me the sega megadrive...it was like a new ticket to heaven! playing games like streets of rage 2 and the phantasy star series and the unbeatable road rash 3...brings a tear to my eye everytime i think of it :'(

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 12:24:04 am »
If by shit you mean sarcasm and cynicism.
If you take it seriously (which I did... I was half-asleep at the time).
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Spiff

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 02:07:25 am »
Laser: That sucks that they weren't selected. That game idea sounds awesome, but it won't interest any big publishers.

MDX

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 02:23:45 am »
Seven.. \\o/ :D

Offline Vortex

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 06:33:02 pm »
I played through Wind Waker recently and I am now playing through Paper Mario : TTYD. Also I am still working on the Goldeneye Source mod

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 08:43:04 pm »
finished getting *cough* GTA SA on xbox this morning... i guess im gonna be playing it almost non-stop for a while...

Offline Sariya

• squeaky
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 05:26:42 pm »
I'm playing through Super Mario 64 on the DS
GTA Vice City on the PS2
and Lego Star Wars on the PC [again]

I need more games for my DS...

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 06:10:41 pm »
my ds is gathering dust in the corner of my room, waiting either for loads of games to come out, or for it to finally be hacked so it can run some emulators.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 06:57:02 pm »
Just saw this:
Tetris+Jetpack+Solomon's Key
Holy shit, I want to play that. Those are like... all three of my favourite puzzle games o_q
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2005, 06:59:25 pm »

Nothing wrong with LSW. Good thing those guys didn't take themselves too seriously otherwise it probably would suck. It;s almost worth buying the game just to laugh at the cutscenes...

Offline Sariya

• squeaky
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2005, 08:57:05 pm »

Nothing wrong with LSW. Good thing those guys didn't take themselves too seriously otherwise it probably would suck. It;s almost worth buying the game just to laugh at the cutscenes...
Totally! I liked the Teacup sabers, chopping people to bits with teacups is a great idea :D

Smeagol

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 09:00:48 pm »
Try playing as Greivous with teacups on then. It's brilliant. It's a real pity Jar-Jar is needed so frequently in the game though, far too many Binks only jumps to get coins gets pretty annoying.