Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 653927 times)

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #720 on: March 09, 2006, 01:44:38 am »
Well I'm listening to Coheed and Cambria. AGAIN.

I really need some new bands to get in to :(

Try Theatre of Tragedy. http://www.theatreoftragedy.com/ <- Samples can be found here.

Kenny Loggins | Highway To The Danger Zone
Theatre of Tragedy | Gothic
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.
I'll sacrifice what I believe.
My little girlscout, your mouth is getting sore.
Will you love me any less, if I hurt you any more?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #721 on: March 09, 2006, 02:18:17 am »

Try... Boredoms.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #722 on: March 09, 2006, 03:21:37 am »
Atreyu - Lip Gloss And Black

The tapping riff at the beginning is pretty sweet. 8)
I can play that.

And Atreyu fucking rocks man :)
My fav's are

- Deanne The Arsonist
- Ain't Love Grand
- Bleeding Mascara
- Corsetting

As I Lay Dying is a band i mostly listen for their guitar riffs.
I can play Elegy, Through Struggle and Colission now..

And the vocals rock as well.

... unearth needs to be mentioned.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #723 on: March 09, 2006, 03:29:00 am »
Screamo stuff

I don't know why I like you.  :P
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #724 on: March 09, 2006, 04:16:17 am »

Try Theatre of Tragedy. http://www.theatreoftragedy.com/ <- Samples can be found here.

Specifically try Velvet Darkness they Fear, Theatre of Tragedy and maybe Aegis. Anything after those has been far far from metal. Some weird electronic industrial dance stuff that just plain sucks and the new album, Storm, which is a lackluster attempt at going back to gothic metal.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #725 on: March 09, 2006, 07:01:41 am »

Specifically try Velvet Darkness they Fear, Theatre of Tragedy and maybe Aegis. Anything after those has been far far from metal. Some weird electronic industrial dance stuff that just plain sucks and the new album, Storm, which is a lackluster attempt at going back to gothic metal.

You may not like it, but I found it to be quite nice. Does not have to be heavy or entirely metal to sound good. Sort of like how In Flames started to turn all Nu Metal on us, some welcome the change and others just waste time bitching about it.

Paradise Lost | Perfect Mask
Samael | As The Sun
Paradise Lost | Forever After
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #726 on: March 09, 2006, 11:25:14 am »

You may not like it, but I found it to be quite nice. Does not have to be heavy or entirely metal to sound good. Sort of like how In Flames started to turn all Nu Metal on us, some welcome the change and others just waste time bitching about it.

Samael | As The Sun
IMO a band should never change genres and forsaken all their fans like ToT did. If you want to try some completely unrelated genre that is what forming another project is for. I doubt anyone here would be particularly pleased if Machinae Supremacy decided to play some sort of industrial dance music or some other far off from metal genre. :P
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2006, 11:31:38 am »
Well I listened to some of that Theatre of Tragedy stuff, but I really don't like female vocalists (Lacuna Coil and Tsunami Bomb are exceptions). I find it really hard to explain my music tastes because I don't really know genres that well. To me there's just rock and metal. Even though I love Coheed and Cambria to pieces, I couldn't actually describe it to someone.

Tell you what, if I upload a couple of the Japanese songs I like to Yousendit, could someone give them a listen and tell me if there are any English-speaking bands who sound similar? I'd promise you my eternal love if you could ^_^

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #728 on: March 09, 2006, 11:39:14 am »

Samael | As The Sun
IMO a band should never change genres and forsaken all their fans like ToT did. If you want to try some completely unrelated genre that is what forming another project is for. I doubt anyone here would be particularly pleased if Machinae Supremacy decided to play some sort of industrial dance music or some other far off from metal genre. :P

You win, what you said is my usual argument in other music forums before some biased nob of an admin bans me. What pisses me off about genre changes is that in most cases they aren't temporary... so far the only bands that have not pissed me off or confused me by doing so are In Flames and Sentenced.

Note: I had only listened to old and new Theater of Tragedy until a few minutes before my last post here, I have heard the in-between now and it confused. So far I can't say I like or dislike the change.

Well I listened to some of that Theatre of Tragedy stuff, but I really don't like female vocalists (Lacuna Coil and Tsunami Bomb are exceptions). I find it really hard to explain my music tastes because I don't really know genres that well. To me there's just rock and metal. Even though I love Coheed and Cambria to pieces, I couldn't actually describe it to someone.

Tell you what, if I upload a couple of the Japanese songs I like to Yousendit, could someone give them a listen and tell me if there are any English-speaking bands who sound similar? I'd promise you my eternal love if you could ^_^

I'll check it out if you'll upload it. I don't know if I'd know anything similar, but I have a total of probably 50GB of crap to compare to.

Mindless Self Indulgence | Royally Fucked
Mindless Self Indulgence | Shut Me Up
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 11:42:09 am by A.C. Helm »
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.

• Twitter
« Reply #729 on: March 09, 2006, 12:27:46 pm »
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=9eb1bdd4417031d197e23787

Yousendit decided it hate me today, so I popped it up at filefactory instead, even though it does that 30sec wait thing. Its 20mb big, 3 songs by different bands.

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #730 on: March 09, 2006, 12:52:56 pm »
http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=9eb1bdd4417031d197e23787

Yousendit decided it hate me today, so I popped it up at filefactory instead, even though it does that 30sec wait thing. Its 20mb big, 3 songs by different bands.

The file came down corrupt, you may need to re-upload it.

Oomph! | Anniversary
Megadeth & Nine Inch Nails | Symphony of Desruction (industrial mix)
Megadeth | High Speed Dirt
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.

• Twitter

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #732 on: March 09, 2006, 07:53:31 pm »

[...]

[...]

You win, what you said is my usual argument in other music forums before some biased nob of an admin bans me. What pisses me off about genre changes is that in most cases they aren't temporary... so far the only bands that have not pissed me off or confused me by doing so are In Flames and Sentenced.

Note: I had only listened to old and new Theater of Tragedy until a few minutes before my last post here, I have heard the in-between now and it confused. So far I can't say I like or dislike the change.

[...]

I really don't care so much about the In Flames change, I simply listen to Dark Tranquillity instead which is probably best described as by one of my friends, "What is that? Super awesome version of In Flames?" :P However, I dislike the newer Sentenced stuff. I much prefer their older death/doom metal before they became, what is imo, boring and uninspired gothic metal and then rock. Amorphis on the other hand bothers me considerably more; I really liked their early half or so and then they pulled the exact same thing the Sentanced did.  :'(

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #733 on: March 09, 2006, 10:12:24 pm »

some welcome the change and others just waste time bitching about it.

Yep. It's not a personal affront, it's the band doing whatever it is bands do. enjoy it or don't, they don't have any obligation to you.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline A.C. Helm

• VIking
« Reply #734 on: March 10, 2006, 03:22:23 am »
I really don't care so much about the In Flames change, I simply listen to Dark Tranquillity instead which is probably best described as by one of my friends, "What is that? Super awesome version of In Flames?" :P However, I dislike the newer Sentenced stuff. I much prefer their older death/doom metal before they became, what is imo, boring and uninspired gothic metal and then rock. Amorphis on the other hand bothers me considerably more; I really liked their early half or so and then they pulled the exact same thing the Sentanced did.  :'(

I have the Dark Tranquility album Damage Done, good shit, it also somehow reminded me a little of bits of Amon Amarth. I can't disagree that some of the newer Sentenced is boring, but there is still plenty of gold being shat out. Amorphis I'm not fmailiar with, I just know that they are Finnish.

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0W5OGR4V8RTOQ2BDLUAFUIXV7D

Try this ;)

Downloading now, I'll edit this space when I have something to say about it.
EDIT:
I have plenty like this. but I really don't know what to list here, so... check this out:
http://www.metal-archives.com/browseC.php
http://www.metal-archives.com/browseC.php?c=108 (Japanese bands)
Maybe you should just backtrack through this topic, make a list of all the bands mentioned and google them for samples.
I'll post anything I can think of, maybe a pile of samples when I have time.

Megadeth | 99 Ways to Die
Sentenced | Excuse Me While I kill Myself
Amon Amarth | Valkyries Ride
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 03:48:18 am by A.C. Helm »
Fuck what I want.
Fuck what I need.