Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 730588 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2006, 05:46:06 am »
Lil wayne ?

Well fuck me over and call me skippy.

That's an expression.

Lexx

« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2006, 03:11:22 pm »
Sikth - Death Of A Dead Day

Released today (online anyway), so far so good..

Offline iikori

• The official homepage of Ivan Dolowitz!
« Reply #1142 on: June 06, 2006, 03:16:50 pm »
Hello? Slayer anyone?
Insert annoying GIF-animation here.

Check out the official homepage of Ivan Dolowitz:
http://myy.slk.fi/~s0300727/ID/

Q: What is the noise that makes my neighbourgs unable to sleep?
A: http://www.last.fm/user/Ivan_Dolowitz/

chompy

« Reply #1143 on: June 06, 2006, 03:53:58 pm »
Wow thanks cloud for that extensive post, I can say now I'm a big fan of Devin Townsend. That track (poor quality I had to get it from another place :) ) is really weird.... recycle... it grew on me like nuts to a tree, not really but you get the point. I'm going get the discography and get those songs you mentioned. For a person who is bi-polar and has been in a mental hospital he writes some really nice music.

From Synchestra I like, trimph, gaia and the last special track. Is the last track a cover of an old song... I have a feeling that blind guardian has a similar sounding song... if thats the band I'm thinking about

Quite possibly Devin Townsend's masterpiece.  I sent that song to my girlfriend when we were first talking and she said something along the lines of "Jesus, this song is such a headtrip."  It's since become "our song".

The only song that's ever remotely come close to it on any Devin Townsend album I've heard is "Pixillate" from Synchestra.  I still have to give Infinity, Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution a serious listen, though, but I hear that Infinity was the album Devin wrote while he was self-institutionalized (he's bipolar, so he put himself in "the madhouse" and consequently wrote an album from his thoughts during and prior to his time there).

Well fuck me over and call me skippy.
eww... thats just wrong

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #1144 on: June 07, 2006, 10:36:17 pm »
Mute math

I'd be surprised if anyone DIDN'T like this band.
every single song is awesome, so go nuts if it so pleases you

how can a band with such an awesome name possibly be bad!
treat yourself

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #1145 on: June 08, 2006, 01:28:31 am »
Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution - Here's To Life

Something not12x supplied me with. Rather odd, but surprisingly catchy. Me like.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #1146 on: June 08, 2006, 10:09:12 am »
Wow thanks cloud for that extensive post, I can say now I'm a big fan of Devin Townsend. That track (poor quality I had to get it from another place :) ) is really weird.... recycle... it grew on me like nuts to a tree, not really but you get the point. I'm going get the discography and get those songs you mentioned. For a person who is bi-polar and has been in a mental hospital he writes some really nice music.

From Synchestra I like, trimph, gaia and the last special track. Is the last track a cover of an old song... I have a feeling that blind guardian has a similar sounding song... if thats the band I'm thinking about

I've always thought that "Earth Day" rip was decent quality. D:

In any case, yes, it will grow on you after one or two listens.  Devin Townsend's music is such a headfuck.  It's glorious.

Unhealthy music for healthy minds. <3
And no, the last track is not a cover.  It's a Devin original.  It's only labeled as a "bonus track" because it doesn't fit in with the mood of rest of the album.  In fact, the album itself ends after track 11.

Here's what Devin wrote about "Sunset":
"Sunset - This is where the credits roll, and people collect their bags on the way out of the theatre. A coffee after the dinner. It is a great way to release the energy of the prior songs...it keeps going and subtley builds the tension for the summary song, for the people that choose to stay seated."

And what he wrote about "Notes From Africa":
"Notes From Africa - Summarizes the whole damn thing. References and opposes 'Love?' from Alien, and really hammers the point of the record home, a real solid groove and a VERY STRANGE MELODY that has been in my head since Infinity. Salman Rushdie. It fades out into echoes that put you in a 5 minute jungle scape after the song is over. (we went to an indoor rainforest and taped the sounds of the waterfalls and birds) By this point of the record, I just wanted people to be in a tropical paradise for a few minutes. It's warm and beautiful. Technically, the record is over..."

And I have conveniently uploaded "Love?" from the Strapping Young Lad album, Alien:
Strapping Young Lad - Love?

And his notes on "Sunshine And Happiness":
"Sunshine And Happiness - If you stick around in the jungle for awhile, this song comes in. Whats it supposed to represent? Nothing. If anything, it's just supposed to be the happiest song EVER. To leave you with a smile. Dave played all the guitar, Mike and Beavis do guest vocals, it is supposed to wrap up the record on a note that doesn't take itself to seriously... 'If you say it's up to me to make the call, well I would say SUNSHINE AND HAPPINESS FOR ALL!!!'"

I can honestly say that Devin Townsend is Musical God.  Although, I have to say that The New Black (Strapping Young Lad's new album) is disappointing at best.  It retains almost no qualities that Strapping Young Lad is known for--rage, anger, malice, vehemence--these are the things that make Strapping Young Lad what they are.  The music Devin writes for that project is bourne of pure hatred.

So beautiful.

And, surprisingly, here I am listening to it:

Strapping Young Lad - Shine
"Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab today!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Otherwise, you are gay!" - DragonForce

chompy

« Reply #1147 on: June 08, 2006, 10:15:38 am »
Devin Townsend - Synchestra

To sum up this cd in a few words, it fucking rocks. So here is my review by song

1/2 Let it Roll / Hypergeek
Intro songs, they are both very happy type of songs that quickly show it is very much progressive and will move quickly to another type of music and back into of it. A big trip.

3/ Trimuph
The first long track on the cd with some catchy lyrics, I'm still not sure what the lyrics are but it rocks. Parts to look for on this track at 2:46->3:43->4:00 . He managers to have some sort of country music with a mix of banjos in it! heck anything with banjos in it reminds me of the Deliverance movie.

5/6 Vampolka/Vampira
How better to start an intro with Polka music playing, it reminds me of listening to Weird Al Yankovic back in the day. If a band can successfully incorporate polka in their music they are a hit in my books. It just goes to show you how playful the Devin Townsend is to their music.

Vampiria;
This track is the short track into the Devin Townsend band if you havent heard of them before. The cream of the crop so to speak, the icing on the cake, the song to hold out for when listening to the cd. A good mixture between lyrics, rock, metal and screaming .

8/ Gaia
A song to earth, highlights the trouble the earth is on in almost a prayer state song. The earth is in danger and we need to pull our fingers out of our butt in order to save both us and her.

14/ Sunshine and Happiness
A cover song ? maybe I cannot put my finger on it. This sounds like it belongs on the Bling Guardian - The Forgotten Tales album.

Im hungry and low on bloodsugar, that is what i've managed to type up

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #1148 on: June 08, 2006, 10:17:48 am »
"Sunshine And Happiness" is NOT a bonus track.

Plus, you totally did not mention "Pixillate", the best track on the whole album!
"Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab today!  Ball bag grab!  Ball bag grab!  Otherwise, you are gay!" - DragonForce

chompy

« Reply #1149 on: June 08, 2006, 11:08:19 am »
I didnt have enough time... i know.

Offline Cloud

• World Hate Center
« Reply #1150 on: June 08, 2006, 11:20:41 am »
I didnt have enough time... i know.

Listen to "Pixillate" as soon as possible.

It's no "Earth Day", but dammit, does it rock.

tomas

« Reply #1151 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42:55 pm »
check this out

Cauterize - Paper_Wings-2005-KzT

its really goooood

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #1152 on: June 11, 2006, 05:48:08 am »
Grave Digger, EdGuy, Rage Against the Machin(a)e :P, Running Wild, DragonForce.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #1153 on: June 11, 2006, 06:32:13 am »
Dreamquest -  Lost Horizons
Symphonic Power. Rhapsody's Luca Turilli's new project's first album. Much like his self named band but with female vocals. Decent but I'd like to see him try something not symphonic or power for a change. I don't see how he can do it without being bored stiff from same old same old.

Firewind - Allegiance
Power. Decent, I didn't delete it (yet) if that counts as praise.

Kivimetsän Druidi - Taival
Folk. Only three songs but it seemed pretty good to me. I await their first album, whenever that will be.

Gojira - The Link
Thrash/Death. The one album from them that I've been missing. I'm glad I got it, it is indeed good. However, like Terra Incognito it has nothing on the masterpiece that is From Mars to Sirius.

Mithotyn - In the Sign of the Ravens
Black/Folk. Listening as I type. Pretty good so far, but nothing I haven't heard done better before.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 07:32:13 am by Ankle »
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Frigger

• hi xD
« Reply #1154 on: June 11, 2006, 12:14:19 pm »
sidology episode 2
*bounce*