Author Topic: My birthday is Monday.  (Read 22387 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re: My birthday is Monday.
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2005, 11:51:33 am »
i love consoles... it's so damn expensive to keep pc hardware up to scratch, and as a result i always spend loads of money then end up playing games on the lowest settings with shitty framerate. with consoles i just have to pay about £200 every few years and i get a platform which has games specifically tweaked for the specific hardware it's on, much better.

As for the whole keyboard/mouse vs controller debate... i feel like i have more control when i play halo2 (with look sensitivity pumped up, of course) than when i play, say, counterstrike... so i guess it's just a matter of preference (or whether you can be bothered to spend the time to get used to using analogue sticks).

Sure, there are quite a few game which have been butchered due to consoles (deus ex 2 comes to mind), but there are so many console games which have been done right that it doesn't matter. sports games, racing games, platformers, all are far superior on consoles than pc.

Laser Turret

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2005, 12:15:49 pm »
I went right off consoles. My last console was a Sega Dreamcast, which I do love and is still next to me...

But you say it's so expensive to keep up to scratch with PCs? It's not much different from consoles - there seems to be a "new generation" out every six months. I'd rather the minor upgrades to my PC than buy yet another console. You don't have a certain spec for a game, you buy a part (and this happens rarely - game minimum specs have been very static in the past few years). Don't have the right console for a game, you can't upgrade the console; you have to buy the next console.

But really, the reason I'm not into consoles, is that I can get my fill of the games I'm into with much better control on a PC. I like strategy, management and RPGs. Have you ever played strategy/management games on consoles, it's stupid - trying to navogate a mouse pointer with your D-pad. Or get a mouse peripheral... Why? when your PC has one already! RPG's can be good on consoles, I must admit, but tha'ts the only reason I bought the DC - for Skies of Arcadia, Evolution, Grandia and PSO (and, erm, Sonic). But I still prefer that greater amount of instant control you get at a PC. An RPG on a console: select item from backpack: press L1 to open pack, shuffle through pages using < or >, then select item using /\ or \/, then press red to confirm. On PC: Click backpack, click item, taadaa.

Offline Rikku

• We love you =)
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2005, 01:51:58 pm »
that's what I said, some games are really better to play on PC than Consoles.

As somethinggood said

Laser Turret

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2005, 01:58:03 pm »
that's what I said, some games are really better to play on PC than Consoles.

I know. I was just ranting about my position.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2005, 02:01:31 pm »
But you say it's so expensive to keep up to scratch with PCs? It's not much different from consoles - there seems to be a "new generation" out every six months.

you're kidding, right? the xbox 1 came out in november 2001, xbox 360 comes out in november 2005... that's 4 years, and even that is considered a short life-span for a console. 4 years equates to a hell of a lot of money in terms of pc upgrades.

I like strategy, management and RPGs. Have you ever played strategy/management games on consoles, it's stupid

i agree, stragegy games do suck on consoles. but have you ever tried to sit 4 people infront of 1 moniter to play some quick, easy, fun multiplayer gaming? it's stupid. there are advantages to both, which is why i own both consoles (xbox and cube) and a decent(ish) gaming pc. best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 02:06:30 pm by SomethingGood »

Laser Turret

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2005, 02:05:48 pm »
But you say it's so expensive to keep up to scratch with PCs? It's not much different from consoles - there seems to be a "new generation" out every six months.

you're kidding, right? the xbox 1 came out in november 2001, xbox 360 comes out in november 2005... that's 4 years, and even that is considered a short life-span for a console. 4 years equates to a hell of a lot of money in terms of pc upgrades.

"seems", "seems". I knew someone would pick up on that; it was a comparitive, not a statement. I was saying that they come by so quick - like you said 4 years is a short lifespan [though I did'nt know it had been 4 years, because it does'nt seem like it, thus proving myself]. And as for upgrades in that 4 year period, I've only upgraded once (and I didn't need to spend the £400 I did. I just went the whole hog, even though only 2 parts really needed it).

Smeagol

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2005, 05:40:12 pm »
But there are games you can only play on consoles.

And PS3 rox..

My exact thoughts on the PS3.

Laser Turret

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2005, 05:42:08 pm »
Penny Arcade wins the day again! Have you seen today's? Go there now, all of you.

Smeagol

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2005, 05:45:27 pm »
But of course, every ICT lesson I spend a few minutes either browsing here or watching the new PA's

Offline Rikku

• We love you =)
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2005, 06:14:18 pm »
so, about the three consoles...

Nintendo has his eternal an fuc*ing boring Mario borther/parti/kart, bla bla bla. And his games are more for childrens (0-12 years) than for adults. There are exceptions, sure, Resident Evil on Game Cube rox, and others...
 Xbox, I've played a  lot of games with some friends and the only game I liked was a rally challenge something... halo 2 & co just... *blarg* I'm waiting for the Xbox 360... it looks not so bad.
 And Sony, starting from PlayStation 1, has allways gave me the kind of games I was looking for. And the variety of games are really more important on Sony consoles then on others. By the way there are more shitty games... for sure.

But it's cool that there are so many differences, it makes everybody happy anyway ^^

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2005, 06:17:15 pm »
But of course, every ICT lesson I spend a few minutes either browsing here or watching the new PA's

My uni finally got WLAN, so I'm lurking here most of the lessons. That explains my unusually high online time in the statistics, I guess.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2005, 06:30:19 pm »
Achtung! Double post!

so, about the three consoles...

Nintendo has his eternal an fuc*ing boring Mario borther/parti/kart, bla bla bla. And his games are more for childrens (0-12 years) than for adults. There are exceptions, sure, Resident Evil on Game Cube rox, and others...

I agree, every console has a certain image that has developed over time; of course, the producer's marketing is also an important factor. Here are my stereotypes for consoles/companies:

Nintendo: Though they really try, they can't shake of their "kiddie" image. And that won't change as long as Mario & Co. are their primary game characters used in marketing.

Playstation: The whore of gaming. Every dumb kid (maybe the term "chav" is correct here) has one, there are tons of games and I'd say more than two third of them crap.

XBox: It seems that it has a more mature audience and compared to the other two a more "grown-up" image. Maybe that's clever marketing from Microsoft, plus a good choice of games. And the modding/programming scene also adds to the positive image, with some very professional programs (e.g. MediaCenter).

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2005, 06:41:19 pm »
from my personal experience it goes like this...

cube... great for 4 player party games
playstation 2... handicapping pretty much every mult-genre game there is (i know... biased view, but the ps2 is totally shite hardware-wise compared to the cube and the xbox)
xbox... pretty good, until you get a modchip and a large hardrive and then it becomes fucking amazing.

Offline Rikku

• We love you =)
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2005, 11:35:29 pm »
humm, looks like you really don't like the PS2...

For me, it's not complicated, if one console offer all the  kind of games I want, I buy it. At the moment only the PS2 get there.

that's all =)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2005, 12:06:36 am »
haha, i really dislike the ps2. although that's mainly cause every single one of my friends seemed to be ps2 fanboys. when i bought a xbox they actually laughed at me telling me how shit it was, and blurting out random facts about how much more ps2s have sold than xboxes.

anyhoo... i had the last laugh, as soon as they saw my freshly modded xbox with a sparkling 120gig hardrive pretty much all of them shut up, and quite a few of them went out and bought xboxes... i love it when i win ;D

the ps2 is a great console, and i had a tough choice choosing between it, the cube, and the xbox. it was just the modding capabilities that made the choice for me in the end.