Author Topic: The length of an album  (Read 17227 times)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
The length of an album
« on: May 18, 2005, 01:54:06 pm »
So...

A CD just isn't big enough for all the music I want on it, :( ...

But this has got me thinking, though... What is a good length for an album? DXM was crammed full, especially with the 2nd print, and I suppose you can never have too much music, but ...

An album as a whole. As a musical entity... What is the perfect length?
Mainstream artists like to keep their non-expressive radio-friendly albums around 40 minutes, but we've never considered ourselves mainstream, so... Bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden and other "greats" usually cram a CD full.

Maybe it's not actually the length of the album itself as the number of songs and the amount of variation in them? I dunno...  Cause Iron Maiden, for instance, will get a longer album with 10 songs than Guano Apes get with 15.

Help me philosophize about this... :)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Zelig

Re: The length of an album
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 01:59:38 pm »
I love long albums, as long as all the songs are kept of good quality...  I just crammed all of Pink Floyd's The Wall on 1 cd. :)

The number of songs really doesn't matter to me though, as long as I don't get bored while listening to the album. 

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 02:08:41 pm »
I think length is very important. I feel very satisfied when I find my album that I have just bought last near to or over and hour. Some albums (mostly by many nu-metal bands like Linkin Park, PM5K and Static-X albums) can barely reach over 30 minutes and although the music is good, its very dissappointing that it ends so quick.

On the other hand, many people only appreciate long albums, but I cannot agree with that. An albums that fills up 80 minutes, but where all the music and songs sound the same, is as good or less good than an album which is short but where all the songs have a different style and feel to them.

That is why DXM was so good: it had length as well as variation throughout.

I think for Redeemer you need to aim for this again. Length is appreciated, but don't leave out "different style" songs because they don't fit into the time constraint. Overall, I'd prefer to hear interesting and ever-changing music, than over an hour of repetitive guitar thrashing.

Lexx

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 02:11:23 pm »
I prefer CDs to be as long as possible, I tend to feel ripped off if I spend £15 on an album and find it's only 35 minutes long.

Number of tracks doesn't really matter to me, aslong as it's not 40% filler (.i.e. Tool - Lateralus),  the quality is consitant and they're in a good order...

Lx.

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 02:12:06 pm »
I guess it depends on your price point as well, I mean I don't mind paying £10 for a 40-min CD, but I'd much rather pay more for a longer one, if you see what I mean.

Personally I can't say I have a preference. Albums are like books, long ones are good but only if they don't repeat themselves. Sometimes short and impacting ones are better *shrugs*

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 02:13:26 pm »
in this case.... quality is definitely more important than quantity. for example, i would *much* prefer to hear 30 minutes of machinae at their very best, than an hours-worth of boring songs with no real variation. that said... it's nice to have an album as long as possible, just so long as that length isn't filled up by filler songs that most people will just end up skipping.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 02:14:41 pm »
Yarr, i agree with Jammin'over tharr..

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 02:55:32 pm »
It also depends on the band. If they do lots of long epic tracks (8 minutes and more) or instrumental interludes, that's usually reflected in how they compose their albums. But I can't imagine a band like System Of A Down for example delivering a crammed album.

Offline daYak

• 90% herbivore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 05:28:52 pm »
I agree with Jammin. I prefer quality over quantity.

But if i am asked how long the length should be, i think it is a subjective opinion for the consumer. If i liked the songs in the album, of course i would be glad if the CD is crammed full. But if i hated the music, I wished the length of the whole CD is less than 10 mins.

So whether the CD is crammed full or less than (let's say) 40 mins, some listeners will like it, and some wont. I think that's how it is naturally.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 05:34:22 pm by daYak »

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 05:41:41 pm »
Quality is much more important than quantity. Of course, I prefer an album to be as long as possible, but it really doesn't figure much into the equation as to whether or not I'll get it. Many, if not most, of my favourite albums clock in at less than an hour.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 05:50:54 pm »
I like 'em filled. Otherwise I just see a waste of space.
And bad tracks is worse than empty space, it's both a waste of space and it's troublesome.

But the problem in this particular case seems to be that you have more than a CD can hold... So, can an album be longer than one CD?
Maybe you could make a double cd album and put Jets'n'Guns on one of them.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 06:06:51 pm »
If u asked me, i think machinae do best with as many tracks as possible, its better with 3 tracks thats 5 minutes each, than 2 tracks thats 7 minutes each.

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 06:30:32 pm »
Well, that's a 1 minute difference...

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 06:46:33 pm »
i mean that its better with more, shorter songs, than fewer, very long songs

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

MDX

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 06:57:00 pm »
just take a look at albums by lost horizon or pagans' mind, they manage length, but in a different way, variation yes, but not in each track a specific type of variation, each track goes off into so many directions its like a full adventure, and you hold on.. not sure of where the next turn will bring you.

This is what i define as quality, and as Jammin has already said, it is a far bigger priority to me, but a balance is needed, but in my opinion, if you like the Redeemer material more than any material youve done before Rob im sure your faith will be shared here, how long is the album roughly?