Author Topic: Anybody recommend some music?  (Read 34582 times)

Offline Vullcan

• V-Gaming
Anybody recommend some music?
« on: May 11, 2005, 09:41:51 pm »
I'm looking for some new music to add to my collection, as im a pretty picky person when it comes to music, only liking very specific bands and not really genres as a whole.
A few months ago i got lucky on these forums and was directed to a few bands which i now love (Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Helloween, After Forever).
Anybody got any suggestions based on the above bands (and Machinae Supremacy of course)?

By the way, VERY nice choice on the forums. Ive been using SMF for a while now, and have gotten numerous of my hosted users to use SMF :)

Thanks

P.S. You should email all the old members telling them the forums are now back up...its been a long time so a lot may have stopped checking back so regularly.

Offline eloj

• Five-by-Five
    • eloj
Re: Anybody recommend some music?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 09:44:33 pm »
Pain of Salvation. Start with "The Perfect Element" (not Be!)
What do you mean the new album isn't called Brojectiot groader?!

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:50:04 pm »
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth  (Also Demons & Wizards, a joint project between them)
Dark Tranquility

Try any of those four.

Offline Vullcan

• V-Gaming
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:54:15 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, Google time for me :D

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 09:59:37 pm »

Offline potatismos

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:03:49 pm »
Megadeth   especially with marty friedman

Offline Vullcan

• V-Gaming
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:52:41 pm »
Pain of Salvation are awesome (i'd recommend "Remedy Lane". and i'd agree with eloj, avoid "Be".... it's quite different from their other stuff).

Some more recommendations (using audioscrobbler)...

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/explore/?artistname=nightwish
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/explore/?artistname=sonata+arctica
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/explore/?artistname=helloween
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/explore/?artistname=after+forever
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/explore/?artistname=machinae+supremacy

Thanks a bunch for those links, found a few bands i really like there like Within Temptation and Stratovarius.

By the way, i really like female singers (suddenly started prefering them over male singers a few months ago), so some band suggestions that have a female singer would be great (like Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation etc).

Thanks

Offline eloj

• Five-by-Five
    • eloj
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 11:05:30 pm »
Evanescence?
What do you mean the new album isn't called Brojectiot groader?!

Offline Vullcan

• V-Gaming
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:06:52 pm »
I really liked them, but i listened to them like all day every for ages so im kinda bored of them now :/ but i still like them nonetheless

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 11:25:11 pm »
System Of A Down! New Album!

Oh, and somehow I got into Finntroll. They rock!

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 11:29:52 pm »
I strongly, strongly reccomend Devil Doll. It's one of the best bands out there. I'm afraid they don't have a female lead singer (though on one compositions, Dies Irae, they've hired in a woman to some vocals), but they're music is so great, that hardly matters.

Devil Doll play some sort of progressive metal, with a horror twist that can make it run cold down your spine (it is the only music I've heard that actually gave me symptoms of fear all by itself)). In one of their compositions (each of their albums consist of only one or two tracks*) they can go from classical-sounding music to metal. What truly makes it unique, though, is the haunting voice of Mr. Doctor, the founder and creative genius . His vocals, often sung in so-called Sprechstimme, range from authenticly children-sounding to Gollumish to just outright creepy.

My favourite albums from them are probably The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms and Dies Irae. If you actually want to buy it, you'll need to do it via the net, but it should be possible to download it to hear it out first. If you do so, however, make sure to get one in high quality (192kbits should be ok).

For some interesting trivia:
-Mr. Doctors real name is unknown. Not even the leader of the fanclub knows. And there are very few pictures of him, as he's very concerned about his privacy.
-After the band had recorded its first album, Mr. Doctor ordered exactly one copy of it, for himself. No other copies were made, not even for the other band members. The second album was first only printed in 500 copies. Approximately 200 of these were  given out (for free, I believe) at a concert. The remaining 300 copies were destroyed, as "everybody who was interested had already gotten a copy".

Another band you might want to check out is Vice Squad. Punk rock with a female vocalist (and a good one, too). If you don't want oldstyle punk, I reccomend that you start with Rich and Famous. This album got quite a lot of fairly different music on it. I particularly like the title track.

And a few more bands with female vocalists:
Human Waste Project (fancy music. They only made one album, though)
Kittie (nu-metalish stuff - my friends a fan of it, and it's quite allright)
LifeForce (the old band of some of the MaSu members, got to check it out - really cool. Bit hard to get unless somebody can post the link to a server where they're stashed. If nobody can, I can probably put them up somewhere)
INJA (once again, connected to MaSu. Think the vocalist is the girlfriend of one of the bandmembers)

Right, that should be quite a bit for you to chew through. Once again, do check out Devil Doll. Oh, and Misfits (the old albums. They might be a bit off from the music you seem to listen to, but they're still great).

*not entirely true. Dies Irae is split up in 18 tracks, but that's just for convenience.  It's still one piece
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 11:36:47 pm »
Sounds intriguing. Added Devil Doll to my "music to acquire" list.

Offline Vullcan

• V-Gaming
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 11:39:00 pm »
Can you guys post links to samples if possible please? Some of the official sites either dont have sample songs, have broken links, or want crapy Real Player :/

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Vullcan

• V-Gaming
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 11:54:13 pm »
Im listening to some songs from Queen of Pain and it sounds like old old old music or something....and it is a female vocalist. Very wierd.