Author Topic: Iji - Oct Demo.. ;)  (Read 43730 times)

Smeagol

Re: Iji - NEW UPDATE!
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2005, 06:57:02 pm »
Damn. Can you make the other game anyway? ;)

MDX

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2005, 08:26:15 pm »
Actually good news.. my music course gives me hands on experience with a recording studio in our college, which.. is amazing.. to say the least, if i can manage it, i may indeed slam some tracks down in there.. but we'll see.

In other news, new tracks to be made ohmyohmyohmy.. ill get a hold of people who can TURN UP to the fucking house, *curses*

Offline Spiff

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2005, 08:51:24 pm »
Damn. Can you make the other game anyway? ;)

Eh, we'll see. :)

MDX: Check your PMs.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2005, 12:58:16 pm »
Look here for some screens from the upcoming demo 2.

Once again, I'm disappointed in myself when it comes to Iji's graphics. Sure, the backgrounds and objects must have few colors to match the characters, but it's just so ugly compared to other games. There are already 180 tiles per Sector, I can't simply double that number to add more detail without sacrificing video memory, meaning less enemy types that can be loaded per Sector. I like the clean style, but I'd also like it to look more professional. I mean, just look at this. Laughable.

I'm happy with the gameplay though. Except everyone will go "omgf you cant shoot while jupming and ducing", instead of wondering how broken the game's balance would be if you could.

</whine>

At least I'm proud to have come this far on a one-man project with 12'000 lines of code. The music will rock, too, that's why I'm glad I'm on this forum. 8)

Smeagol

« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2005, 02:09:16 pm »
http://83.227.192.48/daniel/games/iji3.gif

Is that some kind of super weapon or something? I don't know what you're complaining about, for hand-drawn graphics, for a solo project (minus muisc), it's brilliant.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2005, 07:46:17 pm »
Oh, that's Iji, a turret, and a Tasen Soldier getting caught in an Elite's MPFB Devastator blast. You can barely see the heads of Iji and the unfortunate Soldier behind the MPFB explosion, and the turret blew up, causing the smaller red explosion.

Well, I'm just bothered that despite the kind of art and game graphics I've created up 'till now, the simplicity of Iji's backgrounds and objects seems to be several notches lower. Then again, I am a bit bored of "realistic" and fuzzy 2D graphics, like in Abuse and Alien3 on SNES, so the colorful pixel-art-like backgrounds in Iji may not be so bad...

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2005, 09:41:12 pm »
If Iji's graphics were any other way, I'd cry.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2005, 04:03:39 am »
Well, I personally quite like the comic-y graphics of Iji. Another World-ish. Anyways, it's not graphics, but gameplay that counts.

And since you mentioned Abuse, may I just add my opinion of what a great game that was? I've recently (summer vacation) replayed it (though not finished it), and it's just brilliant. With a slight graphics upgrade, I'm sure it could be sold today (if it wasn't for the fact that 2d shooters aren't in vogue any more).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Spiff

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2005, 12:38:14 pm »
When we first got the Abuse demo many years ago, it was awesome. I must've played through it fifty times in total. I later got the full version, but I don't remember if the demo also had the level editor... in any case, I quickly learnt the basics of the editor, though it took ages placing backgrounds and scenery. Great game, and definitely one of the inspirations for Iji (along with SS2 and Another World).

Anyway, yes, the gameplay is the most important factor. I like it myself, as I've spent a year playing it while making it, but I can imagine it will be hard for others to grasp, even with the tutorial in the beginning. That's why I'm making this demo, to see what people think of it. I think it'd also be a very good idea to let some friends play the game while I stand beside them, see how they play and look at their reactions.

There's also a reason I don't throw in graphical effects like scaling, rotating and transperancy, and why I do this in Gamemaker 5 instead of GM6 - the system requirements for this game is an 800 Mhz with 16 Mb video memory, which is about half of most GM6 games, and about one quarter of GM6 games filled with such special effects. I'm aiming for people who don't have "modern" computers, I dislike GM6 for being so obscurely resource-hungry (I mean, my computer can play Quake 3 at 30 FPS, but not a simple GM6 platformer without lagging). I'm developing Iji on a very low-end machine to make sure I don't exceed the requirements and fill the video memory.

Smeagol

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2005, 02:31:20 pm »
Another World was brilliant...once we figured out you could kick those little scorpion things on the ground of the first level. The button-mashing section near the end of the game was also fun.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2005, 03:07:45 pm »
<_<

>_>

No-one's noticed that the October demo isn't out yet?

Seriously though, I'm just waiting for MDX to send me the music. I'm making some last-minute updates today, eventhough I'm a bit disappointed with this demo, as it's rather boring compared to what the full game will be like. Oh well, I think you've heard me whine about that before. :p

MDX

« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2005, 06:23:59 pm »
Gonna upload the music now..

PMing you the links Spiff, let you hear it first, you decide what you reckon, im gonna start making the menu track after dinner, should be done by later on, sorry for the lateness.. the course is insanely demanding. Won't be so late next time, infact, early.

Offline Spiff

Re: Iji - Oct Demo.. ;)
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2005, 01:56:39 am »
Ya, the demo's done, Sector 2 will have a placeholder song (Officially Destroyed again), but otherwise there are three songs in place: two in Sector 1, and one for the main menu screen. I'll upload the demo sometime tomorrow, for the one or two people who are still interested. :)

*Checks watch* I mean, sometime later today.

MDX

« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2005, 10:04:09 am »
yes.. and here are some of the songs

http://amgproperties.co.uk/orangejuice1.mp3 (sector 1 tutorial)

http://amgproperties.co.uk/vodkaandorangejuice2.mp3 (sector 1 pt.2)

http://amgproperties.co.uk/men-and-u.mp3 (menu track.. nothing special)

Offline Spiff

« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2005, 12:41:32 pm »
By the way, should Dan and Jay also be in the credits, or should I just write that you (Chris) are in charge of the music?