Author Topic: Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:52:56 pm »
First of all, this is a turn-based strategy/space simulator game. Some of you may have heard of this game before and some of may not, so I'll give a brief outline of what the game is about.

You start off with a number of planet(s) to which your newly made empire is just starting up on, outside that planet; there is a whole universe waiting to be explored and plenty more planets to settle on and expand your empire. But, it's not all easy going, you have rival empires who have the same idea in mind, expand. As if having rival empires wasn't bad enough there are a whole bunch of random events that will either handicap you, or benefit you. There are also a rogue, high tech species called the Antarans who like to ride around space and attack unsuspecting players, their only aim is to cause chaos, which they do... very well.

In order to win you must fulfill one of three conditions: exterminate all opponents; get elected as the supreme leader of the galaxy; or lead a successful assault against the Antaran homeworld (via a Dimensional Portal).

It truly is an outstanding, but fairly complicated game. It requires a fair amount of micro managing of your population (who farms, who builds and who researches technology). You also have to make a species which you are given a menu of various beneficial or negative modifiers which could be the difference to winning and losing in some games. There are plenty more ways to customise rules making the game able to evolve around your needs rather than you to it.

Lastly, one of the most important parts, but most fun is designing your own ships. You can add weapons of many types (bombs, beam weapons, torpedos). Then you get to add special items on them to give various bonuses to your ship to help give you that extra edge in battle. The choice expands and weapons get more powerful as you research the required trees for the technology.

Currently Caranfin and I play it online but it would be nice to get a few more people to join in and play from time to time, especially if they fall in love with the game like I have. Multiplayer can support up to 8 people, so....

TL;DR: Awesome game. Link to internet multiplayer instructions, although you'll have to acquire a version of the game through your own means. Get to it.

But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Caranfin

Re: Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:15:46 pm »
The micromanaging is nowhere near as ridiculous as in the sequel, though. Master of Orion III had percentage sliders for pretty much every possible detail. Personally I think this is better.

An important point for those who would like to join in on the fun, by the way: the internet multiplayer only works with the dos version of the game. However, you'll most likely have both the dos and the windows 95 versions available if you own the CD already. Otherwise you'll just have to make sure you acquire the game disc with the dos version on it.

Also, what's nice for those of you who live in the Americas and would like to play, it's turn based so the lag won't hurt the gameplay very much at all.

EDIT: Oh and you can save the multiplayer game and continue on later if you don't have time to finish a game in one sitting.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:14:03 pm by Caranfin »

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:14:44 pm »
I'm going to check what version I have and install it tonight.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:04 pm »
Turn based 4x multiplayer == snooze.

Sins of a Solar Empire plz.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:11 pm »
Turn based 4x multiplayer == snooze.

Sins of a Solar Empire plz.
I might be playing that if it weren't for the fact that I can't connect to any Cogent-hosted services. Last I checked, this includes Ironclad Online.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 07:56:44 am »
Sins < Starcraft.

Even then this game is alot of fun, though overwhelming at first. Its different in a very good way.